• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Glock 17 Lone Wolf Timberwolf Frame Initial Review

Boomholzer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 8, 2002
Midwest
This new out of the box so I thought offer a short review on fit, finish, and dry-fire observations. I wanted to document it anyways. Perhaps it’s useful to someone. Glocks are popular enough and it is a nitch item. There is not much intel if any on the web for these. The item is a Timberwolf Glock frame:
http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Products.aspx?CAT=3168

The product offers a slightly steeper grip angle and reduced swell across the backstrap, especially near the mag well. The grip comes with a small backstrap, the larger is shown.

TW1.jpg

TW7.jpg

TW6.jpg

TW5.jpg

TW4.jpg

TW3.jpg

TW2.jpg

FIT & FINISH: The exterior looks good, no tooling or flash marks. The finger bolster in front of the trigger guard is obviously shaved. Other then differentiation, I rather that stay the way it was OEM. Slide to frame fits seems to be on par however my G17 has several thousand rounds trough it. The metal rails for slide which are molded in do not appear to be any different than Glock. I do not know the differences in plastic material.

The interior mag well showed some area where the coating was removed.
Issue 1: The mags do NOT drop free.
TW9.jpg

Mechanicals: Issue 2: Other then the mag binding in the grip well.. When inserting the mag forward, the mag release catches on the magazine. By forward, I mean letting the top “bullet end” of the magazine lead and follow up the forward surface of the grip well. The center portion of the mag detention and release protrudes into the grip well as shown.
TW10.png

The trigger mechanism is a bit sticky and I think the issue is the connector bar on the frame but I have not remedied it to be 100% sure. Initially the trigger would not even reset and after some lube it would. After many dry firings, the trigger will not return fully after taking up some of the initial travel.

I ordered the unit assembled, and it’s apparent if it is to be kept it will need to be disassembled for some fitting work. I don’t expect it to be major however; it is work on a product that wasn’t exactly cheap. I’ll see how it shoots before doing anything or try to get a grip on if there is perceived benefit vs. these initial disappointments. If there are any FTF, FTE issues its going back.

-Boom

Re: Glock 17 Lone Wolf Timberwolf Frame Initial Review

Boom - I've got a Timberwolf frame but without the coatings. Glock factory mags drop free but the Korean (Kahn) magazines don't. IF you can get the coating removed from the magwell, it will probably allow the mags to drop.

Trigger: do you have a ghost trigger connector or is it OEM? I initially installed the Ghost but it didn't do well (lots of not re-setting, not even engaging the striker, etc..) I then put a OEM G35 trigger (other than the part that has to be Lonewolf and it worked fine.

Sounds like their coating person go too much base coat on the frame....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: koz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Boom - I've got a Timberwolf frame but without the coatings. Glock factory mags drop free but the Korean (Kahn) magazines don't. IF you can get the coating removed from the magwell, it will probably allow the mags to drop.

Trigger: do you have a ghost trigger connector or is it OEM? I initially installed the Ghost but it didn't do well (lots of not re-setting, not even engaging the striker, etc..) I then put a OEM G35 trigger (other than the part that has to be Lonewolf and it worked fine.

Sounds like their coating person go too much base coat on the frame.... </div></div>

Thanks,

I waiting on LWs response in perhaps a swap-out to non-coated or them performing the re-work before I do anything.

The connector is stock OEM.

With the aftermarket Kahn Glock mags that do not drop free in your LW frame; do they drop free in a OEM Glock frame?

Did your frame ship with the extra piece that goes behind (relative to shooter) the grip/wag-well where the trigger spring, connector bar, and firing mechamism reside? (not sure on the techical name for this piece). I wondered why it was included.

thanks,
-Boom

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boomholzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: koz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Boom - I've got a Timberwolf frame but without the coatings. Glock factory mags drop free but the Korean (Kahn) magazines don't. IF you can get the coating removed from the magwell, it will probably allow the mags to drop.

Sounds like their coating person go too much base coat on the frame.... </div></div>

Thanks,

I waiting on LWs response in perhaps a swap-out to non-coated or them performing the re-work before I do anything.

The connector is stock OEM.

With the aftermarket Kahn Glock mags that do not drop free in your LW frame; do they drop free in a OEM Glock frame?

Did your frame ship with the extra piece that goes behind (relative to shooter) the grip/wag-well where the trigger spring, connector bar, and firing mechamism reside? (not sure on the techical name for this piece). I wondered why it was included.

thanks,
-Boom </div></div>

Yes Kahn mags will drop free with my G34 frame.

And Yes the LW frame shipped with the trigger housing, I think it's a bit slimmer than the Glock OEM housing because the grip angle and slimmer grip.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> waiting on LWs response in perhaps a swap-out to non-coated or them performing the re-work before I do anything.
</div></div>

Scratch that. It didnt take many strokes of 150 grit to get the mags to drop free.
Took it apart, no more hang-ups on the mag release. Trigger returns smoothly. Now I just need to run it hard.

If anyone was watching this or finds it in a search engine: I have run the pistol hard through several 100's of rounds of CCI Blazer and zero issues. The ammo it had fielded thus far was limited but it has so far retained the G17 operational reliability.
Other then alittle more slick of a feel to the grip in sweat, I do like the grip profile. In retrospect, I would not have opted for the hydrodip.

Great review. I wish mine was the same as yours. I experienced a roller coaster with the Timber Wolf frame.
My brother purchased one. Mags did not drop free. We had 1 mag that would drop free. ONE. Out of a total of 14 Glock mags. Some were so tight that they had to be pushed back out the magwell from the top. I even bought a brand new Glock mag to try. It was drop free empty. Then I loaded it, instant No/Go. Swearing commenced.
Contacted Lonewolf. They said no prob send it in. We did.
Returned from Lonewolf with a note that said "Frame found within specifications." No work was done. I mean NOTHING! Untouched.
And an additional note was included, "We do not advertise this frame as drop free." Uh,OK?
My brother was livid! Me too. We finally broke out the dremel and "fixed" the magwell to be drop free. Bro is satisfied with ending but pissed with Lone Wolf. Me too.
We were both excited about the concept and feel of the frame. Still are excited with the better feel.
Customer service has left a bad taste though.
My experience is my own. Just be aware of possible issues.
Dave