• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Glock 19 stippling

HT0317

Private
Minuteman
May 20, 2012
29 Palms CA
I've noticed that my gen 3 Glock 19 gets pretty slick during extended range sessions and it's time I do something about it. I've stippled pmags before and I have a pretty good idea about the surfaces on my Glock that need a little more traction. My question is this: Is there anything I need to know about that could catastrophically dick-up my gun? I'm looking for past experience, hindsight notes, or a friend of a friend kind of stuff. any wisdom you can pass on to me that would save me from ruining a $250 dollar frame. Thanks for your time.

Re: Glock 19 stippling

if you take your time and go slow its not very hard to do, if you've done pmags before it will be no problem just remember there's no undoing it

Some skateboard tape is cheap, gives good grip, easily cut and not permanent if you didn't want to permanently alter the pistol. I did my Glock 34 in about 15 min.

DSCN1116-1.jpg

ive used soldering iron to put serious aggressive on a buddy s and my p-mags i wouldn't recommend doing it on your gun till you have practiced extensively

I just did my beater G23 this evening.

I copied this one:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...rue#Post3510166

For a first attempt, I'm pretty happy with how mine came out. I practiced on a pmag for about 5 minutes and let it rip.

Here are the key "learning points" I think I came away with:

1. A 30 Watt soldering iron works just fine
2. Use tape to create your borders, and go along the border first
3. DO NOT attempt to create nice, neat, organized rows of dots. You'll fail, and it'll look like shit.
4. The Glock plastic melts more while the pmag plastic burns more.
5. Best way to get a nice random pattern, that I found, is to make about 25-50 dots in random spots all over the frame. Then, make a dot circle surrounding one of those dots. Do a circle around the circle, and another and another. Eventually, the dot cicles will start to converge on one another - add more dots as required

Turbo54 covered it pretty well. Just take your time and it'll turn out fine. Of the different polymer pistols to work on the Glocks are the most forgiving. No really thin areas to worry about, the thinnest parts seem to be just inside the mag well on the front strap but they're not terribly thin.

IMG_1693.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Genin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a very fine tip and take my time lol.

022-3.jpg
</div></div>

Genin, you've inspired me to try my hand at it. Not as good as yours but I'm liking it so far. Already burned the tar out of my finger once lol

Under cutting the trigger guard and rear grip has given me a much better and higher hold. Much steadier in my hands now.

IMG_0276-1.jpg

That's a damn good start! Just another little tip, take breaks when you need to. I know I'll sometimes space it over a couple days. Stippling when tired of stippling can be disastrous lol.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Genin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's a damn good start! Just another little tip, take breaks when you need to. I know I'll sometimes space it over a couple days. Stippling when tired of stippling can be disastrous lol. </div></div>

Oh I've had to take several... Its hard to concentrate that much for very long lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Turbo54 covered it pretty well. Just take your time and it'll turn out fine. Of the different polymer pistols to work on the Glocks are the most forgiving. No really thin areas to worry about, the thinnest parts seem to be just inside the mag well on the front strap but they're not terribly thin.

IMG_1693.jpg
</div></div>

Phylo, are you using the fine tip for those stippling jobs? I'm impressed with how even and concentric the stippling is. Very very nice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">]

Phylo, are you using the fine tip for those stippling jobs? I'm impressed with how even and concentric the stippling is. Very very nice. </div></div>

You are correct, I use a fine tip for my stippling. I appreciate the kind words.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tpb10505</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Boom!

IMG_0277n.jpg

I'm sure it'd be better if I had more patience lol </div></div>

I think it came out great for a first time stippling job. The good part of stippling and doing it yourself is that you can make the small corrections over time and make it perfect.

Now for the more important question, how does it feel in your hand?

Very.... grippy! It's hard to improve over the RTF2, but I think this definitely is. The biggest difference are the small reductions I did. My grip seems much higher and its much easier to track and keep the sights lined up. Thanks for the inspiration lol

No problem. I was inspired by many others that decided to take the plunge and do it themselves over paying for it. It's a good skill to know and you'll be using it often. I've done my 26, my 19, and my wife's M&P already. I've also done some friends' guns.

I agree with you that stippling is really where it's at as far as grip goes. You can't beat it and it won't come off with moisture, oil, etc. like tapes do. I am very glad you are happy with the end result. Like I said, it looks great.

When I stipple mine I also like to dish out a small circle around the mag release so you have some clearance for your thumb to move. However, this is one place you can go to far as the grip is thin in front the the mag release. I do most of the work on the back side of the release but I find it helps me tremendously with getting the mag release all the way down.

I do this and add a Vickers tactical extended mag release. This gives me plenty of room to get the button down but it cannot be accidentally depressed while the gun is laying on a flat surface.

Hope this helps,
Jeremy45

I don't think I could do that myself.... too much room for error on my own part! The pics that are up look great though!

After reading this, I'm now inspired to give it a try. I hope mine looks as good as the ones you guys have done!

Not a fan or stippling.

Hogue grip sleeve or the tape feels good.