• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Glock 23 slide advice

trauma1

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 23, 2012
I have a vortex venom sight. I am weighing the options of buying a pre-cut aftermarket slide or have mine milled out. What are the pros vs cons ?
Thanks for your time.

The only pro to milling a slide to accept one type of optic is that it's almost always the cheapest option.

The downside is that you're married to that foot print until you buy another slide.

A slide milled to accept adapter plates is THE only way to go if that route is available. I've been down both roads so I'm speaking from first hand experience.

Slides milled for adapter plate systems are mostly an OEM feature. If you have a CZ or a Glock, there is an after market solution for an adapter plate system.

CZ Custom does it for CZs, and Agency Arms does it for Glocks: http://www.agencyarms.com/agency-optic-system-aos-cut

If I were you I'd send it to Agency Arms for their AOS system and be done.

Reactions: Gunny Fitz
The only pro to milling a slide to accept one type of optic is that it's almost always the cheapest option.

The downside is that you're married to that foot print until you buy another slide.

A slide milled to accept adapter plates is THE only way to go if that route is available. I've been down both roads so I'm speaking from first hand experience.

Slides milled for adapter plate systems are mostly an OEM feature. If you have a CZ or a Glock, there is an after market solution for an adapter plate system.

CZ Custom does it for CZs, and Agency Arms does it for Glocks: http://www.agencyarms.com/agency-optic-system-aos-cut

If I were you I'd send it to Agency Arms for their AOS system and be done.
thank you very much!

Reactions: 308pirate
If you have a common pistol, lots of slides that are made with different optic cuts

Brownells has a lot of glock 9mm slides

RMR is a niche market - low volume. So it’s harder to find a 40, 10 or 45 slide.

most of us don’t sell guns so keeping OEM slide pristine is not a worry

if you go aftermarket - read a lot of reviews. Not all are equal.

Reactions: Remington_Steel
If you have a common pistol, lots of slides that are made with different optic cuts

Brownells has a lot of glock 9mm slides

RMR is a niche market - low volume. So it’s harder to find a 40, 10 or 45 slide.

most of us don’t sell guns so keeping OEM slide pristine is not a worry

if you go aftermarket - read a lot of reviews. Not all are equal.
Thank you for your response

I have found that maintaining the stock slide is preferred. You can spend a lot more but Zev and grey ghost, top notch. Unless the slide is crap, it’s not going to change the reliability of the gun.

Reactions: trauma1