• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Glock 27 question

BattleAxe

Chief
Minuteman
  • Mar 3, 2010
    Earth
    For the glock guru's out there...

I have a Glock 27 that's around 5-ish years old that likely has less than 100 rounds through it. It was primarily a hide-away piece for home protection that gets little use. I hadn't shot it in awhile and took it out to get some trigger time for the wife and I found that the slide latch engages periodically after firing a round with rounds still left in the mag.

It also did it when I test fired it a few years ago and thought it was just a cheap ammo issue but I'm starting to think it's a magazine issue.

Anyone experience this and know of a solution?

Re: Glock 27 question

It happened to me a time or two when I first started shooting USPSA. I was accidentally letting my thumb ride up, pressing the slide release up like the mag was empty.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dlc356</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It happened to me a time or two when I first started shooting USPSA. I was accidentally letting my thumb ride up, pressing the slide release up like the mag was empty. </div></div>

That's what I thought too but I stood next to my wife and watched closely as she fired and couldn't see it...unless it was happening too fast. Should have shot it myself to see if that was the case. I know my G22 doesn't do it.

It happens too fast. The G34 and 35 come with an extended version that a lot of shooters change out in favor of the smaller stock one due to the same problem. If it continues to be an issue I'd grind the tab off or way down and train her to pull on the back of the slide after inserting a fresh mag.

I have see this problem too, it doesn't take much upward pressure to engage it. I have the opposite problem and rest my thumb on it and it won't lock open.

shoot it left handed so that you can't touch the slide lock. If it still locks back you have at least ruled out shooter error.

I used to have that happen and just like a couple people said, in my case it was my thumb sliding up and hitting the release.

A weak or improperly installed spring can also cause this. The spring pushes the slide stop lever down and if it is weak or not installed properly it can bounce during recoil, causing it to engage when the magazine is not empty. Before I took the dremel to anything I would try putting a new one in and see if the problem persists. The part is cheap and probably the easiest place to start looking for a fix.

^^^ this. It happened to me yesterday on a G36. I know for a fact it wasn't me applying pressure. The slide stop lever spring is either weak, or improperly installed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J York</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A weak or improperly installed spring can also cause this. </div></div>

This is EXACTLY what it was. The tail of the spring was looped over the top of the locking block pin. I repositioned it under the pin and presto. I haven't test fired it yet but the difference in tension is night and freakin day. I've never disassembled this thing either so it came like this new. Thanx!