• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

HodgdonExtreme

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2014
KHSV
Finally picked up the Glock missing from my collection. I have a G30, and a 10mm conversion barrel for it - which never malfunctioned, but still never truly trusted it because it would fail to eject if you hand cycled cartridges through it.

Anyway, anybody else a fan of this model?

Seems that ~9.5gr 800x under a 180gr for ~1150fps is about max for the OEM barrel without bulging the brass too much. Sound about right?

I sure love the "boom" 800x makes from a 10mm.

I have a G29 and I love it. I had a case rupture and had to send it to glock. The gun absorbed the blast, blew the magazine out, blew the extractor out and broke the lower in half. I intend to put a aftermarket barrel in mine when I get it back.

That will be my next plastic pistol purchase for sure. I would sure think you could push it a bit harder than that but am probably mistaken.

Congrats on the new black brick. I'm jealous.

I have one and I have been trying to trade it for a while now... NOT!! that I don't like it I do......but I just don't shoot it enough I prefer my 1911 10mm's

That will be my next plastic pistol purchase for sure. I would sure think you could push it a bit harder than that but am probably mistaken.

Congrats on the new black brick. I'm jealous.

Glock certainly trades off case support for feeding reliability. It can be argued they trade off too much...but whatever.

At 9.5gr 800x, I'm getting a bulge that is repairable. If you were willing to scrap the brass it could be pushed a lot harder. I've no doubt 1200-1250 is available.

The 10mm conversion barrel I have for my 30 is really tight chambered and fully supported. Your nerve and recoil spring are the only limiters to how high you go. My readings indicate you can actually achieve higher velocity from a 40 if you use a 40sw barrel in the 10mm, and hang the bullets out nice and far.

Anyway, I'm satisfied for my purposes. Recoil is pretty solid with a 180@1150 anyway. Manageable but quite solid from a pistol of this size.

Love mine - EDC. Love the 10mm cartridge as well.

Slide was NP3-ed by Robar. Added fixed Trijicons and put Pierce's pinky-finger grip extensions on the magazines.
Love my G20 too, but the G29 packs easier for EDC. In cold weather I'll rotate in the G20, or if I'm out hunting or hiking in the boonies, then the G20 goes with me.

Had the same grip reductions done to both by BTC. Ergonomics are perfect for my shooting hand.

Eventually I picked up spare .40S&W barrels for each, but since I reload for the 10mm pretty extensively they don't see frequent use.
Also, I like to practice with reloads at the upper end of the 10mm's energy curve (in order to approximate the recoil impulse of my factory carry ammo), so I picked up aftermarket barrels w/ fully supported chambers. I got a Bar-Sto for the G29 and, later, a LWD for the G20 - both are stock length and have run w/o issues firing some very hot reloads. Should add that I also installed Wolff XP spring units in both guns, and both set-ups have also run hitch-free.

The 10mm is a highly versatile cartridge and the G29, with its 10+1 payload, is a great little powerhouse - whether for civilian EDC or off-duty.

Hope this adds to the discussion. :cool:

Just got the 29 on order from my local gun shop for my Elk hunt in Wyoming to use as a back up. Looked at many different sidearms and finally decided on the 29. Got a lone wolf barrel on order as well as Double Tap 230g WFNGC Hard Cast. Hope I never need it but its a lot of fire power in a very light weight package as well as much cheaper and lighter than a Ruger Alaskan 454.

Just got the 29 on order from my local gun shop for my Elk hunt in Wyoming to use as a back up. Looked at many different sidearms and finally decided on the 29. Got a lone wolf barrel on order as well as Double Tap 230g WFNGC Hard Cast. Hope I never need it but its a lot of fire power in a very light weight package as well as much cheaper and lighter than a Ruger Alaskan 454.

Seems like I've read more & more across the boards about a lot of hunters & guides in Alaska, and even those in the lower 48 where bears or mt. lions roam, replacing their heavy big-bore wheelguns for one or the other of the Glock 10mms, mentioning as reasons both weight as well as mag capacity. Typically, it's the G20, but I've seen the G29 referenced too.

Ammo mentioned varies, but the posts from guys packing a Glock 10mm into bear-country seem to like one of the deep-penetrating cast loads from Underwood, Buffalo Bore or DT. :cool: