• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Glock 34 for USPSA

VTgunner

Private
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2009
Fredericksburg, VA
Looking at getting a Glock 34 for competing in USPSA. I'm looking for the "standard" upgrades most people would use. I'm looking to stay in Production Division so nothing that would disqualify me from that class. Any suggestions? What's worked for you? What hasn't?

Thanks!

Re: Glock 34 for USPSA

I like to leave mine stock, a lot of friends put the dawson fiber optic on the front with heinie rear.
I dont' upgrade my glocks much prefer stock as much as possible other than sights. You would have to check the rule book ot see what all is "legal".
Good luck be safe..."Shooter ready?"

I run a glockworx trigger kit (lightened striker, ti plunger) in mine, full length stainless guiderod, a dawson fiber optic front sight and I have my slide milled to accomodate a Tripp K1 rear sight, it is production legal.

Excellent choice for production.

With respect to mods I would do the following , roughly in order of performance gained vs. cost vs. necessity etc.

1) Sights....My preference is for the Warren Sevigny setup with a red fiber optic in the front. Dawson Precision also makes a great set & I am playing with a 10-8 rear and FO front as well and it is proving to be pretty good as well. If you want adjustable you can mill the slide and install a Tripp K1 or Bomar as well.

2) Trigger...You can improve the stock trigger significantly by simply polishing the hell out of the trigger bar, connector, striker tab and drop safety plunger. Free if you already own a dremel and a feltwheel.

If you want a replacement trigger my favorite is Vanek Custom, however Glockworx and GlockTriggers.com also make great drop ins. All around the $150-200 range.

3) Grip Tape or Grip Treatment. TRUGRIP is my favorite ($5 cut to fit, right grit and lasts a long time) there are others but I like this one. You can also use a soldering iron to stipple your grip but that is permanent and can limit resale value.

4) Solid guiderod and recoil spring change. Pretty cheap to soften the gun up. I like a 13# spring for minor power factor loads.

Good luck, Craig

.25 Cent Trigger Job
Jager Striker
Competition Spring Kit
Jager extended guide rod with 14lb spring
Dawson Fiber Optic Front
Dawson Rear

The frist 3 netted me a 2.5lb trigger on my G35, caution DO NOT change the striker spring unless you install a lighthened striker, the Dawson sights are great and if you buy the set from them and you need a higher or lower front they will exchange it at no cost.

Great weapon for the $$$. Would a 6" STI in a 1911 platform, chambered in 9mm, also fit the bill???

Well I carry a Glock 19, so choosing the Glock 34 seemed like a logical thing for me.

Also, is the magazine capacity limit 10 rounds? I thought I saw that in the rule book but it's from 2010 and a little confusing.

And what about those magwell modifications such as this??
Seen here...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BravoSector1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great weapon for the $$$. Would a 6" STI in a 1911 platform, chambered in 9mm, also fit the bill??? </div></div>

A 6" 1911 (in any caliber) is neither Production nor Singlestack compliant for USPSA competition.

Technically you could shoot it in Limited Division but you would then be shooting minor PF and also at a serious capacity disadvantage to the doublestack guns.

+1 on a Fibre Optics up front, and rear sites are personal preference. Trigger is just fine, it will be smoother with shooting rounds!

Buy plenty of G17 mags, CR belt, mag carriers and a DOH holster. If you buy the correct ones, you can also use a G 35 with you want to move to Limited 10, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Olivers_AR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on a Fibre Optics up front, and rear sites are personal preference. Trigger is just fine, it will be smoother with shooting rounds!

Buy plenty of G17 mags, CR belt, mag carriers and a DOH holster. If you buy the correct ones, you can also use a G 35 with you want to move to Limited 10, etc. </div></div>

Yeah I want to buy mags but I have no idea which ones. If they only allow 10 rounds then there's no point in buying the 17 round mags. I guess a clarification on the rules would be good for me. I'm looking for Production Division only.

Production and limited 10 you can load 10 in the mag and one in the pipe. I've got deals on 10 round mags, and it also depends on your state, some only allow 10 round mags. If you get the higher capacity mags, you can just load 10, depends on if you want to move to other classes at some point that allow more than 10 rounds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VTgunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Olivers_AR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 on a Fibre Optics up front, and rear sites are personal preference. Trigger is just fine, it will be smoother with shooting rounds!

Buy plenty of G17 mags, CR belt, mag carriers and a DOH holster. If you buy the correct ones, you can also use a G 35 with you want to move to Limited 10, etc. </div></div>

Yeah I want to buy mags but I have no idea which ones. If they only allow 10 rounds then there's no point in buying the 17 round mags. I guess a clarification on the rules would be good for me. I'm looking for Production Division only. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Olivers_AR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Production and limited 10 you can load 10 in the mag and one in the pipe. I've got deals on 10 round mags, and it also depends on your state, some only allow 10 round mags. If you get the higher capacity mags, you can just load 10, depends on if you want to move to other classes at some point that allow more than 10 rounds. </div></div>

I live in Vermont where literally everything except suppressors are legal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VTgunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So basically I can have 17 round mags....but only load 10 rounds in there?</div></div>

yes, you can start will 1 in the gun and 10 in the mag but every other mag can only have 10 in them

I prefer the 35 as I can load down and still use a heavy bullet to knock over steel with one shot no worries.

I also have a drop in 9mm conversion barrel for when I want to shoot 9mm for cheaper (not allowed for USPSA comp though).

I only changed my sights (black/black with wide notch).. everything else is stock. They have a great trigger out of the box.

If you are getting a glock then get the G35 that way you can buy the 9mm barrel and have both calibers!!

With the G34 you are stuck with 9mm.

In the end save the money and buyt a STI edge I got my first in 9mm and then bought the .40 and now I have a dedicated STI in .22 LR as well.

Hands down love it!!

Sights and trigger, and you'll be good to go. I was waiting for the Gen4 G34 to come out for Production, and ended up getting a steal on an XDM instead. It now has a Dawson FO front sight and a Canyon Creek trigger job, and the only thing left I want to do is an aftermarket guide rod so I can lower the spring rate. Go for it, the G34 with a few tweaks will be as competitive as anything out there.

Get some 33rd magazines!!! -- kidding!
laugh.gif

As said here before, a good trigger job.

I use my G34 for production and it's a GREAT choice!

-best of luck and have fun!

Lots of questions to catch up on.

No magwells in Production Division.

Get the 17 rd mags. You can always download to 10 for Production but you can never upload a 10 rounder for any other purpose. Not to mention inserting a 17 rd mag on a reload is much easier than a 10 rd mag stoked full.

On 9 vs. 40....stick with the 34 in 9mm.

If you aren't reloading yet it is much cheaper to shoot and easier to find in surplus.
Steel at a USPSA match will be calibrated to minor PF ammo (read as your 9mm ammo will take down the steel just fine) so as long as you do your part and hit the target no problem there.
Getting a 35 in .40 with a conversion barrel isn't all roses and
sunshine. The slide still has a .40 breechface and oftentimes feeding/extraction issues occur.

Yes you can use the .40 to shoot in limited but you can the 9mm as well. You will be scored slightly lower but you can make up for it by shooting more accurately which is a very good learning tool for a beginner.

If you think that you will eventually get more serious about USPSA competition you can always upgrade to an STI in .40 later as that is the most competitive platform in Limited Division.

I placed my order for the Glock 34. I was able to get the LE version since I'm in the business at a significant price savings, so I'll have to buy the 3.5lbs spring to get the lighter pull but should be worth it.

Let the fun begin!

I would go for the glock 35 if I were to be stuck with Glock. If it were me I would buy the new M&P pro.
STI is the first choice like mentioned above.

In my Glock 34 I,

did the .25 cent trigger job
installed a steel guide rod
tried different weight recoil springs
installed Dawson Precision fiber optic adj. sights

**The STI Edge is a great gun for Limited, but it's not Production legal.

Skateboard tape tip:
Go to your local skateboard/surf shop and ask for an "end of roll." Typically after cutting for many boards they end up with a piece that is too short to sell (not board length) even if is only a couple of inches too short, and you can pick this fairly big piece up for free since it will probably go in the garbage anyways. If one shop won't give it to you, try another, someone will...especially if you tell them its for shooting or racing (I'll sometimes tell them its for my racecar brake/clutch/gaspedals), if it sounds cool to them they are more likely to hand it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pat Harrison</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Skateboard tape tip:
Go to your local skateboard/surf shop and ask for an "end of roll." Typically after cutting for many boards they end up with a piece that is too short to sell (not board length) even if is only a couple of inches too short, and you can pick this fairly big piece up for free since it will probably go in the garbage anyways. If one shop won't give it to you, try another, someone will...especially if you tell them its for shooting or racing (I'll sometimes tell them its for my racecar brake/clutch/gaspedals), if it sounds cool to them they are more likely to hand it out. </div></div>

Never would have thought about that..thats pretty useful stuff!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BravoSector1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great weapon for the $$$. Would a 6" STI in a 1911 platform, chambered in 9mm, also fit the bill??? </div></div>

A 6", 9mm STI is not competitive in any division of USPSA. It's not legal in revolover, production, or single stack, and not competitive in limited, limited ten, or open, where it would be legal.

Yeah I said I wanted a Production division gun...thereby eliminating all single stack products.

But it's all good because I went with the Glock 34 anyway. I'll be doing the updates as soon as money allows.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nw1911guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also,

look for one of the mods over at www.brianenos.com/forums

His name is Duane Thomas and he used to shoot a G34 in USPSA and IDPA. </div></div>

If you want to venture over to BE Forums there is more info on what you can do to a glock than you would ever care to know.