• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Glock 34 g4 competition upgrade ???

HCICVOGT

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2019
Baker, FL
I just ordered a Glock 34 gen 4 for competition shooting (speed steel out law, uspsa, and 2 gun) what upgrades other than sights and trigger should I look at? I was shooting my glock 19 in matches but quickly saw its ~short commings~. I plan to get a sight set that has a solid black rear sight and orange fiber optic front, and trigger but I have no idea which trigger to go with to acheive a 3 pound pull. Would a spring kit with the factory tigger help me get down to around the 3 pound mark or do I have to get a aftermarket like Zev? What else would you recomend to upgrade? I've only ever worked on my 1911s, Glock is still kinda new to me especially when it comes to changing parts.

Johnny glocks makes the most reliable competition triggers for glocks, they’re pricey, but worth it. I prefer the TTI sights mainly because they don’t rust.

Johnny glocks makes the most reliable competition triggers for glocks, they’re pricey, but worth it. I prefer the TTI sights mainly because they don’t rust.
Is TTI a brand name? I don't recall seeing it if so.

Throw it in the trash and get a cz would be the first upgrade I’d do
I was wanting to get a CK Arms 2011 but I promised my wife a front porch and new furniture. Was also looking at the HK VP9 but the local gun store decides to twist my arm on the glock.

Dawson’s Precision is my preferred sight. They tolerate my odd ball size specs and never fail to deliver.

For triggers, I went back to stock on all my Gen 4s. If it’s not reliable enough for EDC, why is reliable enough for competition?

The best Glock after market trigger is only equal to the worse functioning 1911 trigger ever.

$250 for a Zev comp trigger or

1,500 training rounds, unlimited dry fire, unlimited mag change drills, or 2 match fees.
Just my thoughts, hope this helps.

Reactions: HCICVOGT
The glockstore aluminum magwell with the 4oz heavy insert is an outstanding upgrade to balance that otherwise plastic gun. How do you like that Glock grip angle for quick Target acquisition coming from 1911s though? I couldn't do it.

The glockstore aluminum magwell with the 4oz heavy insert is an outstanding upgrade to balance that otherwise plastic gun. How do you like that Glock grip angle for quick Target acquisition coming from 1911s though? I couldn't do it.
It was rough at first untill I took a class and learned a new style of shooting. My dad taught me wrong!! I had a harder time learning how my mags were orientated in my pouches (bullets to the rear at first) for mag changes.

Mine get trigger springs (about $5) to help with the trigger, Warren-Sevigney sights (about $85), and stippling (free). The G17L also got a magwell. That's all I do, and I'm really happy with the way they shoot for what they are.

I personally love what my homemade stippling job did to the way the gun feels. But be warned, if you ever shoot IDPA with it stippling will move you up to enhanced service pistol. It doesn't bother me since I'm not really that competitive, but it may be something to consider.

I run Frank proctor sights

Gen 3 trigger with a 3.5 connector

4.5 striker spring

Apex plunger with stock spring

The gen 4's fail pretty reliably when you do the traditional 6lb trigger spring so I skip that shit.

I really like striker fire handguns to have a more tactile feel....and that usually comes with a bit more weight...still considerably lighter than stock.

Also run a 13lb captured guide rod with adapter...34's have an odd recoil impulse that the 13lber corrects

Bench

Reactions: Ridgeback80
Just a heads up for guys looking to buy a new glock, if you go to glocks website and sign up for the GSSF program for 2 years, you will get 2 coupons to take to your local glock blue label dealer. With the coupon a new 34 would be $484. 42 would be $319, any standard 26-19-17- so on is $399. 43-43x $359. The coupon are good for 2 years. If you’re a first responder you don’t need to sigh up just show your. ID.

Sights and trigger (just the trigger and trigger bar). Do not monkey around with the springs. The Gen 4 was a poor choice. The Gen 5 is the better choice.

Just a heads up for guys looking to buy a new glock, if you go to glocks website and sign up for the GSSF program for 2 years, you will get 2 coupons to take to your local glock blue label dealer. With the coupon a new 34 would be $484. 42 would be $319, any standard 26-19-17- so on is $399. 43-43x $359. The coupon are good for 2 years. If you’re a first responder you don’t need to sigh up just show your. ID.

This is incorrect information. You do NOT receive two coupons. You receive a "double card membership" which has the coupon and your membership card, but you do not get TWO discount coupons.

This is incorrect information. You do NOT receive two coupons. You receive a "double card membership" which has the coupon and your membership card, but you do not get TWO discount coupons.
That is incorrect, you DO get 2, you get one when you sign up and one on the anniversary of the day you signed up.

Can anyone compare the Johnny Glock drop-in to an Apex/TTI combo by chance? Kinda odd ball request but trying to decide between the two.

The gen 4's fail pretty reliably when you do the traditional 6lb trigger spring so I skip that shit.

Are you talking about the "S" coil spring? I'm about to purchase some internals for my Gen 4 G34. I have a Gen 4 G19 and G23 and they both have a 6lb. Spring and function fine. Can you elaborate on this failure of point me to where I can find more info before I purchase? Heck, I was even thinking of going heavier.

I have the 4.5lb spring in my G34 now and don't like they way it made the trigger feel. But heavier feels better. The 6lb spring makes the trigger feel a tad heavier, but shorter and crisper, which I like.

Thanks in advance.

Will

FWIW,
My 34 has Dawson sights FO sights. A Vogel trigger (over 20,000 and never a single FTF, but yes, if you shoot a stock trigger it will probably make you a better all around pistol shooter eventually). My 34 has a homemade grip tape job. But my other glocks I stippled, kind of up to you. My 17L has a magwell. Come to think of it, I’m not sure why one don’t have them on my 34 since I don’t Shoot IDPA anymore.

Are you talking about the "S" coil spring? I'm about to purchase some internals for my Gen 4 G34. I have a Gen 4 G19 and G23 and they both have a 6lb. Spring and function fine. Can you elaborate on this failure of point me to where I can find more info before I purchase? Heck, I was even thinking of going heavier.

I have the 4.5lb spring in my G34 now and don't like they way it made the trigger feel. But heavier feels better. The 6lb spring makes the trigger feel a tad heavier, but shorter and crisper, which I like.

Thanks in advance.

Will
its the spring that connects the trigger bar to the trigger housing.

without breaking out a dremmel the 6# trigger spring will prevent the trigger from going all the way forward, causing the safety to never engage.

Again, this problem is pretty isolated to the gen 4's

bench

So I did go for a (used)Johnny Glock drop in trigger form my G34... a *little* spongy from the initial pull but man, that short reset and crisp break are sweet!

Don't let these naysayers sway you from the choice you made. I run a G34 gen 4 with sevigney sights and I polished the trigger internals and used a ghost 3.5# connector and never looked back. It is very accurate and has been very reliable for over 5000 rounds. I broke a trigger spring once...big deal. I trust it over my 3 1911s anyday.

Reactions: fyaman43
I just ordered a Glock 34 gen 4 for competition shooting (speed steel out law, uspsa, and 2 gun) what upgrades other than sights and trigger should I look at? I was shooting my glock 19 in matches but quickly saw its ~short commings~. I plan to get a sight set that has a solid black rear sight and orange fiber optic front, and trigger but I have no idea which trigger to go with to acheive a 3 pound pull. Would a spring kit with the factory tigger help me get down to around the 3 pound mark or do I have to get a aftermarket like Zev? What else would you recomend to upgrade? I've only ever worked on my 1911s, Glock is still kinda new to me especially when it comes to changing parts.
You need to be more specific about which USPSA division you want this pistol to work in.

You can do all kinds of shit to it that will land you in open where you're going to get ass raped by guys with real open guns. Or you can stick to Production. Or Carry Optics. Or be dumb and shoot limited on purpose.

More info needed otherwise answers are useless

What division are you shooting? Assuming you are going production division I would go for TTI sights, a vanek custom classic trigger, and a stainless guide rod that allows you to customize your spring weight. Get a holster set up with a BOSS hanger and call it a day.

Or just go get a legion and run the heck out of it.