Sidearms & Scatterguns Glock 43x MOS vs G19

redneckbmxer24

Merica!
Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter+
  • Jan 15, 2005
    Gulf Coast, FL
    Statistics aside, it doesn't make me want to carry a revolver.

The striker fired crowd has poo pooed 1911s for years because of their capacity.

Big difference between a massive heavy 1911 and a slimline CCW and what it should/could carry.

redneckbmxer24

Merica!
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Jan 15, 2005
    Gulf Coast, FL
    Is this the original 365's that have had issues?
    I've heard of no issues with 365XL's. Between myself and a few guys i've shot with at comps and classes, there's close to 10k rds through our XL's with no known issues. There's a few youtube guys who run them and have the same experience as myself through thousands of rounds.

Nope they were all mid 2020 and newer guns. The two that I actually had fail at the range were both XL’s.

treillw

Private
    Minuteman
    Mar 3, 2017
    Big difference between a massive heavy 1911 and a slimline CCW and what it should/could carry.
    I would be my life that they could appropriately engineer the G43x to hold 15 rounds (or close to it), if the desire to do so was there.

I just can't stand products that could be better. Scrape every ounce of potential out of the system. Leave nothing on the table.

redneckbmxer24

Merica!
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Jan 15, 2005
    Gulf Coast, FL
    I would be my life that they could appropriately engineer the G43x to hold 15 rounds (or close to it), if the desire to do so was there.

I just can't stand products that could be better. Scrape every ounce of potential out of the system. Leave nothing on the table.

They did that first and it’s called the G19. Glocks work the way they do and the mags work as well as they do because of how they’re designed. No they can’t shrink the grip width while maintaining the same grip length but also maintain the same amount of rounds with the same design, it’s not possible. The mags are very robust and hold up because of how they’re made, changing that would be retarded. If Glock could have made it hold more rounds in that size they would have.

If you have it in your head that 15 rounds is the amount of rounds that you need to have in a mag then the G43X isn’t for you unless you want to run unreliable aftermarket mags.

gigamortis

Habitual Sender
    Minuteman
    Oct 23, 2013
    Be careful what you wish for with aftermarket glock magazines that hold more rounds than factory design. If the internal width is increased to hold more rounds, the angle of how one round bears against the one above it will add more sideways force at the expense of upward force. This makes more friction against the sidewalls for the rounds to slide against. Add in a little dust and dirt and the rise of the stack of rounds can be a little slower.

UpSideDown

↑ → ↓
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Sep 24, 2019
    Glock chose a 10rd capacity vs a 12-15rd capacity likely because of the brand. It’s glock, it’s seen as the ultimate in reliability. It’s really hard to mess up with a Glock. It’s a lot easier to mess up loading the magazine in certain other pistols and stick a round vertical, or drop a magazine in practice and have the spring go slack and round turn in the mag. Sure it is ideal to load attentively and to know they a dropped mag can have issues if not unloaded/reloaded, but people still do it, and by probably playing hard on the margin of reliability and making other sacrifices glock ended up at this solution.

There’s lots of handgun options out there now for different preferences.

redneckbmxer24

Merica!
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
  • Jan 15, 2005
    Gulf Coast, FL
    Glock chose a 10rd capacity vs a 12-15rd capacity likely because of the brand. It’s glock, it’s seen as the ultimate in reliability. It’s really hard to mess up with a Glock. It’s a lot easier to mess up loading the magazine in certain other pistols and stick a round vertical, or drop a magazine in practice and have the spring go slack and round turn in the mag. Sure it is ideal to load attentively and to know they a dropped mag can have issues if not unloaded/reloaded, but people still do it, and by probably playing hard on the margin of reliability and making other sacrifices glock ended up at this solution.

There’s lots of handgun options out there now for different preferences.

What you just posted makes absolutely zero fucking sense.

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Jun 10, 2011
    UT, United States
    The glock 19 came out in 1988 (Yes there are different generations of it). I'm not a glock fanboy, but I bought one because I approached it as emergency life saving equipment and the track record gives me the warm fuzzies. The best gun in the world will jam if the magazine is little off, although there are plenty of happy Shield mag users. I'm also using standard speer gold dot because of decades of LE use and I will not be messing with triggers or internals. Mostly I'm trying to stack as much reliability in my favor as possible to offset my generally shitty luck :ROFLMAO:. Now I just need go take some more courses and burn piles of 9mm!

Milf Dots

Major Hide Member
    Minuteman
    Oct 21, 2019
    I've said it before- the 43x is a very good subbish- compact pistol and holds ten rounds. It competes directly against the 12+1 rounds p365xl in size, and the 10+1 rounds S&W Shield Plus.

The smaller G43 is the competition for the P365 in size. If the 43x/48 doesn't have enough mag capacity one can step up to the great, proven G26- which gains you the benefit of G19/G17 mag compatibility.

I don't remember a time when it was okay to use the specs of an aftermarket mag to prop up a particular pistol's mag capacity to make it seem more appealing.

Last edited:

jeffl838

Private
    Minuteman
    Feb 20, 2013
    I seriously doubt that it's an issue with heat (any quality spring material should withstand temperatures that would cause problems for the gun's plastic bits), but it's quite possible that there is simply too much strain occuring in the spring wire due to the amount of travel required to pack 15 rounds in a narrow(er) magazine.

It's often wise to remember that:
    1) OE engineers aren't dumb and limited the stock magazine to 10 rounds for reasons
    2) There's no such thing as a free lunch

I've yet to encounter problems with the S15 magazines, but if/when I do, I'll look at the spring first - thanks for the tip.

Also worth noting:

The spring for life thing is cool and I wouldn’t mind it but I was wearing them out so fast where I would have been playing musical springs once a month or so. I was shooting this gun a lot though, I really wanted to make it work. To SA’s credit, they gave me a set of springs so that I could rotate them when I turned a worn set in for replacement. This wasn’t acceptable for me since I’ve had mags for other guns that I’ve had in there for several years with a similar if not higher rate of use with no need for replacement

tucaz

Private
    Minuteman
    May 11, 2012
    The Dirty T, AZ
    Thanks for the writeup.

You're the first person I saw that mentioned the SA 15 round mags not being good. Kind of bummed about that. Need to look at them more I guess.
    i had a shield arms 15 round mag and the metal catch and had issues with feeding. seems like it was more than just one mag too.

my buddy bought one of the first ones out and has had zero issues and he had more round thru it than me.