• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Glock design question?

Vitorum

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2010
TN
So I've never thought to ask this before but I've always wondered. Why is it that some factory glocks are rounded at the front on the slide near the muzzle where others are just boxy or squared if you will?

Re: Glock design question?

You would probably have to talk to the designers. My G26 is rounded on the corners. I was thinking this might have been done to help it conceal a bit better.

The only ones I have seen that were rounded are the subcompacts so I would say it is for concealment also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M700Love</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only ones I have seen that were rounded are the subcompacts so I would say it is for concealment also.</div></div>

The long slide 34 & 35 have rounded noses as well.

Like volvos, they are boxy but good. I like the glock in the box look. Function over form for me for everything but women.

I have a G26 with the rounded nose and seems like it is missing its boxy goodness.

maybe design year. I'm guessing they got some complaints about the squared ends so they made a slight mod.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M700Love</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only ones I have seen that were rounded are the subcompacts so I would say it is for concealment also. </div></div>

^^This

Guess on my part, but I think clock started doing the radius thing with the sub-compacts to help slim down the concealed carry models and help with re-holstering. They carried it over to the competion models that followed. Then there's the ill fated 37 and 38 models in 45GAP.

I to think the radiused slides take away some of the Glockness.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sw99</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M700Love</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only ones I have seen that were rounded are the subcompacts so I would say it is for concealment also.</div></div>

The long slide 34 & 35 have rounded noses as well. </div></div>

These guns where made for IDPA stock service competition basically. The rounded nose can be smoother when drawing your weapon from the holster fast. Same goes for the subcompacts and concealed carry.

don't know the exact reasons but the subcompacts are rounded for concealment. But the 34 35 are rounded as well.

the square design is nice for using an edge to cycle the slide which could be useful in certain situations.

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silver_Bullet_00</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sw99</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M700Love</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only ones I have seen that were rounded are the subcompacts so I would say it is for concealment also.</div></div>

These guns where made for IDPA stock service competition basically. The rounded nose can be smoother when drawing your weapon from the holster fast. Same goes for the subcompacts and concealed carry. </div></div>

+2

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Silver_Bullet_00</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sw99</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M700Love</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only ones I have seen that were rounded are the subcompacts so I would say it is for concealment also.</div></div>

These guns where made for IDPA stock service competition basically. The rounded nose can be smoother when drawing your weapon from the holster fast. Same goes for the subcompacts and concealed carry. </div></div> </div></div>

All glocks of the same size and caliber use the same recoil spring, Glock controls slide speed with slide wieght, the 34/35 17L/24 have relief cuts in the top of the slide for this, the rounding of the corners could also account for the wieght reduction.