• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Glock extractor ?

KHOOKS

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 29, 2008
Central Alabama
My Glock 20 extractor bar isn't holding onto the brass as I think it should. Let me try and explain what is happening. I chamber a round from the mag. Now the gun has a round loaded I pull slide back it check chamber and some of the time the round is pulled back with the slide and sometimes it's not. To my common knowledge of other auto's the extractor should hold on to the case rim at all times. I've had one smith look at it and told me it is working like it should and when you pull the trigger it engages the extractor and the extractor moves into the correct location to extract the spent case. Now a friend of mine is going thru gunsmithing school and I showed it to him and he tells me the pulling of the trigger has nothing to do with extractor bar as the trigger is being pulled. The weapon has only had one failure to feed but I have not run but a few 100 rounds thru it.

Ken

Re: Glock extractor ?

If you know how to detail strip it I would check the extractor area out. Make sure there is no debris in there and put a couple tiny drops of oil on it. If the pistol is extracting the cases, I wouldn't worry about whether or not the case is being held tight to the breech face with the extractor as long as it goes into battery. The extractor works, in conjunction with the ejector in the trigger housing as the slides moves to rear during it's recoil pulse, by flipping the spent cartridge out. As long as the cases are coming out of the chamber and out of the pistol I wouldn't worry.

If you do a normal field-strip you can check the firing pin safety. Simply hold the safety down with your thumb pressing on the safety down. Shake it up and down. It should rattle when the firing pin is moving freely and you should be able to see the firing pin come through the breech face. If it is doing this and it's ejecting the cases, you should be GTG.

Just to add. The pulling of the trigger does depress the firing pin safety as you pull the trigger. Which does interact with the extractor. In a sense your friend is incorrect. 1 FTF in 100 rounds is not a big deal. Limp-wristing could have caused the malf. Keep shooting with factory ammo until you know it's 100% reliable. Or damn close to 100%.

1 FTF in 100 rounds is too many as far as I'm concerned.

When you put a round in battery with a Glock (and any other autoloader I can think of), then pull the slide back a little, the extractor SHOULD ABSOLUTELY be bringing the cartridge back out of the chamber.

While the firing pin safety does indeed serve to captivate the extractor on a Glock, there is no "interaction" between the two, meaning the movement/action of the firing pin safety does not cause the extractor to do (or not do) its job.

Do you know how to disassemble the slide of a Glock? It is very easy and can be done in ~15 seconds. I recommend doing so, and making sure the groove in the slide the extractor sit's in is free of carbon/dirt/debris, and making sure the extractor plunger, spring and spring-loaded bearing is installed properly.

Maybe there is a burr or poor machining on the tip of the extractor that sits in the groove of the firing pin safety plunger? Maybe there is a burr in the groove of the plunger? Maybe the extractor spring is worn out?

Just a few ideas. Haven't had this problem before, but it is indeed a problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1 FTF in 100 rounds is too many as far as I'm concerned.

When you put a round in battery with a Glock (and any other autoloader I can think of), then pull the slide back a little, the extractor SHOULD ABSOLUTELY be bringing the cartridge back out of the chamber.</div></div>

I agree wholeheartedly with both statements. The failure rate here is too large by at least one order of magnitude (more like two), and the fact that the pistol does not always extract a loaded round is clear indication of a problem.

Start by detail-stripping the slide and cleaning everything thoroughly - especially the extractor recess in the frame. My guess is that there may be a bit of crud that is preventing the extractor from engaging the brass. Consider replacing the extractor spring and "spring loaded bearing" (little plastic bushing that sits between the spring and the slide plate); these two parts are less than $5. Inspect the extractor itself for any signs of damage to the hook; if you have any questions, replace it (they are around $20).

If all else fails, find a GSSF event (or any other event that a Glock armorer is likely to attend) and have the pistol inspected by a Glock rep. They should take care of you and your firearm without any cost.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric Bryant</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If all else fails, find a GSSF event (or any other event that a Glock armorer is likely to attend) and have the pistol inspected by a Glock rep. They should take care of you and your firearm without any cost. </div></div>

That is a great idea. The GSSF armorers will take great care of you, and for free!

You might also talk to Apex Tactical. They now have an extractor available for Glock.

thanks, Guys

I tore down the slide this weekend and found a few things. First when I pulled the slide back plate off. The plunger that works the extractor or applies the pressure to the extractor. Right under the slide plate at rear was cover with gunk. As I removed the extractor I found a sliver of brass between the extractor and slide. Cleaned the slide and all parts and up it back together and all seems to be working fine now. I run another 50 rounds with no problems.

Thanks,
Ken