• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Glock fans, help me out would ya

garrett

Private
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2007
Seattle, WA
I have been looking for a carry pistol for a while and for my own reasons I have settled on a glock in either 45 auto, 45 gap, or 40 s&w. Im looking to carry a full size pistol in an inside the waistband holster. So I believe im looking at either a glock 21, 22, or 37 if i have my glock numerology correct. Tomorrow I go to the local range to rent all these guns one last time and figure out what feels best in my hand. Does anyone have any input or experience? And not to start a huge debate but is 40 s&w an acceptable self defense cartridge?

One thing i did notice though is that online prices for these guns (new) seem to be considerably lower than at my local shop. Is there a reason I should go one way or the other? Can anyone recommend a reputable source? Etc... Thanks guys. Any input is appreciated

Re: Glock fans, help me out would ya

All Glocks feel the same, some are a little fatter and some are smaller, 45GAP ammo is high dollar, so screw the 37, go the with the 22, one gun can shoot 3 calibers with a barrel change, 40, 357auto, and 9mm with a aftermarket barrel, I shoot/compete with a 21c, it's too big and heavy for ccw, so is my 30, the thinner profile of the small frame Glocks is more suitable to ccw

Get a 9mm, it's what Glocks were intended to be.

G19, G20, or G21. Ideally G18, but I hate glocks so disregard my opinion.
mad.gif

Don't discount the smaller Glocks. I've carried the very compact Model 27 .40 for some time and really love it. I can shoot it just as accurately as my larger duty issue Model 22

If you want a fullsize I would go with the 22. I have a Glock 21 and I would not want to carry that IWB. That being said if you want to go down in size to a compact the 23 in .40 S&W kicks ass. I love mine and most of the guys I work with carry one also.

It's small enough to carry but not to small where you have trouble dropping mags.

If you want full size and flexibility go with the 20.

The 10mm has more snot than anything else they chamber for, you can run 40, 357 sig, 10mm, 9x25 dillon all with the same slide, just change the barrels. You can get a slide for 45 and run 45 auto in it too since the 20 and 21 share a frame.

All that being said, I carry a 29 which is the same frame as the 30, and it has all the flexibility of the 20 but in the smaller package and 10 rounds instead of 15.

I went down this exact road with my brother for his CCW, and we went with the G23. It is small enough to conceal in an IWB holster, and still has a 4" barrel. The G27 is good for deep concealment.
The 40 S&W has 30%-40% more power than a 9mm, so yes, it is a good self defense caliber. I personally carry a Kahr PM40 daily 24/7. It is smaller than any Glock, and I can tuck it in any spot I want. My other carry is a G29 in 10mm. That's a haus of a gun! But it is much heavier and larger.

Concerning the price question, I'd buy a used Glock, you can't wear them out and there are lots for sale $100 off that are barely broken in.

I'm curious, how big are you, carrying a concealed full size pistol is no easy task for a skinny/short guy. Just a warning, full size pistols often get left at home. A guy needs a couple CC pistols, the Ruger LCP for the light clothing days and the G19 or 23 for when you can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Concerning the price question, I'd buy a used Glock, you can't wear them out and there are lots for sale $100 off that are barely broken in.

I'm curious, how big are you, carrying a concealed full size pistol is no easy task for a skinny/short guy. Just a warning, full size pistols often get left at home. A guy needs a couple CC pistols, the Ruger LCP for the light clothing days and the G19 or 23 for when you can. </div></div>

+!. I'm 5'10", 175 anc carry a IWB Glock 17. Hard to conceal without wearing a sweatshirt. I think I'm going to buy a Glock 26 for the warmer months.

-dan

I'm with everyone who's got a vote for the Glock 23. If your going to go with a Glock it is probably the best for alaround use. Big enough that you have a full grip on it to shoot accuratly and and quickly. And being just a little bit smaller it's a lot eaiser to conceal.
And as metioned if you get a 40 you can get a 357 Sig and 9mm barrel too.

good luck
JMC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Parallax</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't discount the smaller Glocks. I've carried the very compact Model 27 .40 for some time and really love it. I can shoot it just as accurately as my larger duty issue Model 22 </div></div>

I too like the 27 and can shoot it better than my full size Glocks.

if you want a full size 40 then get a 22, i switch between a 23 and 22 for off duty use, as with some mentioned above i feel the glock 19 is the perfect choice. i just cant carry 9mm off duty =(

btw i never feel "under gunned" with a 40sw or 9mm

as always, thank you guys for sharing your experience, off to the range! i will share the outcome soon
smile.gif

Id vote g23. .40 for carry but you can swap barrels and run 9mm for range fun. I carry my g22 daily but I dont have a problem concealing a full size pistol.

21sf with a Raven Concealment Phantom, 13rnds of 45! (add plus 2 extenders on your spare mags if you feel the need)
I was completely dumbfounded about how well the 21sf shoots. Try it you'll see.
If the 21 is too fat for IWB go 35 (tactical/practical .40) Unbelievable feel, shooter and balance.
If the 35 is too long go 22 (.40 full size) with the Glock minus connector.
Whatever you get check out Raven Concealment holsters.

if you are going to spend a good amount of time on the range go with the g23 its pretty well suited for multi use role as a ccw home defence and plinker... if JUST for carrying discretely go with a subcompact... here is mine after i did a little "work" to it

g27complete.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: garrett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
One thing i did notice though is that online prices for these guns (new) seem to be considerably lower than at my local shop. Is there a reason I should go one way or the other? Can anyone recommend a reputable source? Etc... Thanks guys. Any input is appreciated </div></div>

Garrett,
Glock sells their firearms to First responders and military for a discount via law enforcement distributors. I'm assuming your a civilian, so you can get the same price if you join the Glock Sport Shooting Foundation ($35 first year $25 to renew). Click here for more info. . The prices are only good at LE distributors listed here (there is one in Seattle). Link to PDF file
FYI, The program price for most Glocks is 398.20, Large frame (45, 10MM ) 464.20 . Civilian GSSF member are allowed one at this price per year.

+1 on the 23 or 19 if it is a carry pistol. If you have normal sized hands they are very easy to manipulate while still be very easily concealable. If you have huge hands the 17 or 22 might be better suited to your needs.

After carrying a full size 1911 for a while now, I recently bought a G19. I cant even tell i'm carrying it for the most part(OWB). I am a tall slim fella, and carrying the 1911 and two spare mags required me to run my belt tighter than i cared for. I have no complaints as of yet with the 19. Almost 1k through it so far...

Years ago I thought the 9mm was under powered. I carried a 1911 on duty for several years.

I found that I shot the Glock much better under stress than I did the 1911. After taking several tactical training classes, shooting in matches, shooting at work, etc. I tranisitioned from the 1911 over to the Glock approximately 8 years ago.

During a tactical pistol in 2001, the instructor stated "Pistol bullets poke holes, rifle bullets tear sh*t up". The quote stuck in my mind for some time. I thought back to the effects different pistol rounds having on animals, victim's of shootings, and Officer involved shootings that I had seen personally and read about during my career. I couldn't think of a single shooting where the person or animal was shot with a 9mm and lived, but would have died if the round would have been a .40S&W or a .45acp. And I could not think of a single shooting where a person or animal was shot with a .40S&W or a .45acp and died, but would have survived if the round would have been a 9mm.

With 9mm being approximately half the price of .45acp, the recoil of 9mm being less than the .45acp, and knowing shot placement is much more important than caliber, it's not hard to understand why I switched over to 9mm. With one pistol platform in a single caliber it cuts costs when purchasing magazines, holsters, magazine pouches, gunsmithing gear, sights, and ammo. Supporting one platform and one caliber is much more cost effective than purchasing holsters, magazine pouches, magazines, ammo, etc. for several different platforms in several different calibers.

icon-why-glock-why-9mm.jpg

<span style="font-style: italic">03designgroup</span> | <span style="font-weight: bold">Why Glock, why 9mm? </span>

If I could only own one pistol it would be a Glock 19.

Just my .02, your milage may vary

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC03</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Years ago I thought the 9mm was under powered. I carried a 1911 on duty for several years.

I found that I shot the Glock much better under stress than I did the 1911. After taking several tactical training classes, shooting in matches, shooting at work, etc. I tranisitioned from the 1911 over to the Glock approximately 8 years ago.

During a tactical pistol in 2001, the instructor stated "Pistol bullets poke holes, rifle bullets tear sh*t up". The quote stuck in my mind for some time. I thought back to the effects different pistol rounds having on animals, victim's of shootings, and Officer involved shootings that I had seen personally and read about during my career. I couldn't think of a single shooting where the person or animal was shot with a 9mm and lived, but would have died if the round would have been a .40S&W or a .45acp. And I could not think of a single shooting where a person or animal was shot with a .40S&W or a .45acp and died, but would have survived if the round would have been a 9mm.

With 9mm being approximately half the price of .45acp, the recoil of 9mm being less than the .45acp, and knowing shot placement is much more important than caliber, it's not hard to understand why I switched over to 9mm. With one pistol platform in a single caliber it cuts costs when purchasing magazines, holsters, magazine pouches, gunsmithing gear, sights, and ammo. Supporting one platform and one caliber is much more cost effective than purchasing holsters, magazine pouches, magazines, ammo, etc. for several different platforms in several different calibers.

<span style="font-style: italic">03designgroup</span> | <span style="font-weight: bold">Why Glock, why 9mm? </span>

</div></div>

Pretty much mirrors my thoughts.

Get a G32 or G31 .357sig is a sweet round all around. The only problem is that it may be hard to find ammo. Its not to populer by me and NOBODY stock it.

All right Garret, Now that everyone has told you how they think their shoes will fit your feet, whats the final verdict? I learned something about the 10mm frame and the caliber possibilities. thats good to know.

FWIW, I carried a plain old model 21 (but not IWB) for about 4 years. I have been floundering back and forth between the G 30 and the G 36. I almost always go to my G 36. I just bought a 21 SF, and may go to that on occasion. I would caution you, and ask for experience here, as well as holster use, do the subcompact Glocks stay inside of an IWB holster without retention? Just a thought as I sometimes carry a kimber Ultra cdp in one and it, well let's say its not that stable.

My $02

Glock 19.

Garrett, I am new to the forums and normally do not post since my time here is spent trying to learn about optics and mounts. Over the last 10 years, I have owned a few different Glocks: 19, 26, 23, and 27. The model 19 is my favorite and is very easy to conceal. The Milt Sparks VM2 holster is very comfortable but there is a long wait since the product is in high demand. You might want to consider joining the (GSSF) Glock Sport Shooting Foundation. I am told that members are allowed one discount certificate per year to purchase a Glock. The purchase price is said to be $398.20 for various models except the 21. Hope this helps and good luck.

Much Excellent advice. I carry the G21 "which by the way can be transitioned to fire a different array of calibres as mentioned" in a 6 in wide belly band or a Merlin Pack fanny pack holster. The fanny pack works out pretty good and can be worn with just about anything and looks like your carrying just a wallet by the way it is shaped. But if i were to carry IWB i'd probably go with the G30 or G30SF as it can hold the full size magazines as well. But which ever you go with, it doesn't matter as much about the round as it does putting lead on target in a swift and precise manner. That said you've got alot of excellent feedback on this to make a good decision. A good source for everything Glock is at www.GlockStore.com ,Like you said shoot everything they have and choose which one fits you best. Stay low and move slow.
Also Everyone have a Happy and Safe Holiday.

Trouble Prepared for in advance, often does not arrive. Ernest Emerson

i like my g22. i got a glock so i had a glock. but personally i would rather carry and shoot my taurus 24/7 .45. everything on a taurus is smoother. it feels better in my hand than any other automatic i've held (exc. 1911s). it just an opinion. if you have your heart on a glock then by all means get one, but go handle a taurus and a h&k before you make a definite.

My preference would be G27 or G19 in no particular order. My wife and I own several different Glock's. Find the one you shoot well, feels comfortable IWB and the caliber you prefer.

Summer with shorts I mostly carry a G27, sometimes a G19. Fall/Winter I carry a G19 or a G21. A G21SF would be easier for carry as the pistol grip on a G21 is darned chunky.

Like was stated ealier I'd avoid .45 GAP, stick with the standard calibers.

I use the 27 for off duty and 22 on duty, our whole department uses .40 and many officers have shot people with that round and they're dead... so I guess the .40 works? If your military/LE glocks are $434 out the door with 3 mags, I believe

compare the 23 and 22. Bet you go with the 23.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Downzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC03</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Years ago I thought the 9mm was under powered. I carried a 1911 on duty for several years.

</div></div>

Pretty much mirrors my thoughts. </div></div>

Thats exactly what I did and couldn't be happier with my G19

If I was limited by circumstances to one pistol only it would be a Glock 23,and I would use it to kill that circumstance.

Got the G23 & 27 for work carry. Yeah having said that, I am now selling both as I went back to 1911. Not saying there is anything off about the .40. I actually like it very much. Just went back to the beginning.

When the Glock 30 came out I just had to have one. It was labeled as a "compact". Well I went and got it, no one was making holsters for it at the time, cant find shit for it even now. If you want to conceal this gun you will have to get creative or say screw it and wear it open. I love 45's but I'd have to agree with USMC03. It's more about shot placement than how big the boom is. I wish I would have just bought another glock 9mm. Ammo is cheaper, follow up shots are quicker, and they are a little easier to conceal. I'm thinking of gettin a Sig P250 after Christmas is over, those guns look nice. Well my 2 Cents.
http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad199/xjjeeperx/Picture034.jpg
http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad199/xjjeeperx/Picture035.jpg
http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad199/xjjeeperx/Picture033.jpg

I think 19/23 do great for CCW. You save a little bit of size over the 17/22, but give up very little capacity. I've never worried much about capacity, just about any caliber if you put 4-5 rounds in the chest are going to do their job. If you are worried about running into a guy on PCP, the mall ninja squad, or criminals wearing full body armor do whatever gives you peace of mind.

The reality is 99.999...% of people never have to use their CCW weapon anyway, and of those that do I've never ever heard of a case where well placed rounds of any caliber 9mm and greater didn't get the job done. Nor have I ever heard a civilian case where a person was killed because they ran their gun dry and was then shot. If people worried half as much about training and being proficient with their carry gun as they did to if they can get 20 rounds in a mag 17 of those rounds would never matter.

The 26/27 are great guns, I carried a 27 for quite awhile, but almost everyone puts a mag extension on them for the pinky finger, at that point you mise well carry the 19/23 as the effective grip length is the same. I also found that the very short barrel guns when done IWB tend to dig into my hip bone when sitting, longer barrels do not, but that's a personal anatomy issue.

The .45 glocks while they don't sound much bigger when you look at the specs when you handle them and carry them that extra width really matters. This is one of the reasons the 1911 platform is so nice to carry due to this very narrow profile.

Go with the 23 it is a great all around gun.

I'm seeing alot about increasing options by changing barrels. I saw the post about the g23 and getting a 40 so you can get 357sig and 9mm. Does this go both ways? I have a g32 and am wondering what other options I have? 40, 10mm 9mm? If I'm looking for these barrels, do they have to be for a g32 or what other ones will work? Sorry, I know these sounds like dump questions, I'm really not new to shooting just to glocks

Whatever fits a G23 will fit a G32. So you can get a .40 barrel (factory type) and/or a 9mm conversion barrel. 10mm requires a different frame.

Whew! So after hundreds and hundreds of rounds at the range with every glock i could get my hands on and trying them on in various holsters i eventually went with the G23 that so many of you recommended. I found that one to really fit my hand the best out of all the models i tried. Every thing i did with it just felt the most natural compared to the others and it conceals very well in my casual dress. The 45 auto series was definitely too big for me to hold comfortably, and the GAP models just on the larger side. Not enough to be uncomfortable but enough to notice... I really wanted something that felt natural. I had considered the 9mm series but after hearing about running a 9mm barrel in the 23 I figured i would just do that if ammo prices get worse
smile.gif

Anyways gentlemen, thank you as always for imparting some wisdom to the younger generation. I really do appreciate it.

I carry a glock 17 on duty and a glock 26 for a backup as well as off duty. My advice is to carry in a manner that is the most comfortable. If it isn't comfortable or at least tolerable you won't wear it or as much as you should. A full frame is irratating as hell when you sit in your car or it's the summer time and you don't want to wear more than a t-shirt. I found what works best for me is my 26 on an ankle holster. With practice it can be very fast. And you dont' have to worry about your shirt riding up and it exposing your weapon.

Just a note about running the 9mm barrel in the G23: Do not CCW in that configuration. It is less reliable because the ejector may not always grab the shell. The notch in the slide is wider (for .40) and can potentially cause misfeeds. It will work 97% of the time (maybe more, maybe less), but I wouldn't stake my life on it. Never had a problem, but the potential is there.

Oh, and do the 5 cent trigger job. It is worth all 5 pennies.