• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Glock Gen3 Finish Question. Help Needed.

RoosterShooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2011
Kentucky
OK. To give you a rundown, before purchasing my recent 20SF, and 2 - 29SF Glocks , the last time I owned a Glock was around Gen2 when they used to paint them with the 'Black' paint.

Now, my recent production Gen3 pistols all have the new ' powder coat' coating that shows powder residue and finger marks like crazy.

Is there a certain oil I should be using to preserve the finish and keep in from marking up, or should I just repaint it as close to the original color as I can find?

I have been using Duracoat for a long time, and am very fluent with it's uses. Should I find a color in Duracoat that is close to the original color and repaint?

Your thoughts?

Any pics of your repainted Glocks?

Re: Glock Gen3 Finish Question. Help Needed.

My thought is just that... Its a glock. I personally wouldn't stress the wear,residue,prints that end up on the gun. The new finish is more like a parkerized finish and I agree, it shows imperfections much more. I doubt you'll be able to match the original slide finish color.

The tenifer finish, in my experience is better than duracoat and will last twice as long as the old flat black finish. It also seems to hold up to moisture better.

Glocks aren't "coated" with anything.

The black finish is a byproduct of the tenifer/melonite/saltbath nitride/ferritic nitrocarburizing treatment done to the metalwork.

Put a light coat of oil on it.

That is all.

I have a late model gen3 and it has this kinda flat grayish finish on it. I personally dont like it as much as my gen4's "teflon" like finish.. but its a glock just put a little oil on it and ride.. its not a $3000 custom 1911

<span style="color: #FF0000"> No pictures yet? </span>

If it's a hard use duty gun, it doesn't need repainting. My worn down 1911 may look neglected, but she's a reliable work horse. But if you want it too look nice and hold value...

...Get a professional Cerakote finish like I got from sawman556 for my Glock:

017%202.JPG

018%201.JPG

Something tells me you've been around Colts and older blued guns? Like myself
laugh.gif

Finger prints on a blued finish Colt with dry surface after a few weeks will be permament, not On a Glock. I love Colts and Glocks but the finish of the Glock is no where near as delicate as Colt. On a Colt I can run my fingernail through the surface and scratch it, not on a Glock. The only way to ware the finish on a Glock is holster wear and even then it will take quite a while, would have to be constant drills.