• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Glock night sights

Hogshooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 23, 2003
Powhatan, Va
Just picked up a Glock 21 and need to get rid of the POS plastic sights. On my 23 and 27 I replaced the originals with Trijicons. Is there anything better out there in a fixed night sight. Looking thru Brownells catalog and Midway there are a lot available but anyone have any experience good or bad with the various manufacturers ?...thanks

Re: Glock night sights

Depends on what ya want.
I tried the Heinie Straight 8s and love'm. They remind me of a 1911 style site and are VERY solid. Give you a MUCH improved target pic as well.
DSC01343.jpg

Front sights a lil high but its close enough to not really be concerned. Was tryin to take photo of sight picture while holding camera in other hand. Gives ya an idea what they look like. The two 'dots' are stacked on top of one another instead of lining 3 up horizontally.

The above is on my 34 below is on my 20.
pun20003.jpg

Looked at the Heinie sights at Brownells. I don't see where they carry the LEDGE They have the Straight 8 Slantpro and the standard Straight 8. What is the difference in the LEDGE ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hogshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looked at the Heinie sights at Brownells. I don't see where they carry the LEDGE They have the Straight 9 Slantpro and the standard Straight 8. What is the difference in the LEDGE ?</div></div> Here you go: Pics of the Heinie LEDGE Straight 8 w/ QWIK sight cut which comes Std.
http://www.heinie.com/whatsnu.php

Gotcha...thanks. Looks like the Slantpros are wedge shaped where the LEDGE may be better suited to doing a one handed slide rack if need be due to a incapacitated hand.

Can't comment on the Heinie sights but.... I love my trijicon
sights, and they have the best customer service dept i have ever had any dealings with!

Aaron

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tigerbikes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Love the TRUGLO TFO fiber optic + tritium sites on my Glocks

tfosights.jpg
</div></div>

CKA put some of these on his G22c, there the shit, my Trijicons on my G21 are almost 10 years old, they will be replaced by TRUGLO's.

How do the TRUGLO's look in the dark?
I don't think i would want anything much brighter that Trijicons at night.

Can you get truglo's is differentiating colors .... green for the back yellow for the front? Or soemthing similar doesnt necessarilly have to be those colors.

I would just put a front night sight on and a black steel rear sight.

IMO, rear night sights are unnecessary and a detriment to proper concentration on sight picture.

Only way I'd even consider a rear night is if it was like the straight 8 design, and even then I think it distracts one from making proper sight alignment in low light conditions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsydlooknin75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can you get truglo's is differentiating colors .... green for the back yellow for the front? Or soemthing similar doesnt necessarilly have to be those colors. </div></div>

Yes, you can get green/green or green/yellow.

I have the Green Truglo TFO front sight and an adjustable all black MMC rear sight. I do like to keep the rear sight black myself. The MMC is a bulletproof design and works very well. The TFO front is sweet as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slickrick0999</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the Green Truglo TFO front sight and an adjustable all black MMC rear sight. I do like to keep the rear sight black myself. The MMC is a bulletproof design and works very well. The TFO front is sweet as well. </div></div>

Glad I'm not the only one.

My Glock has a metal Glock style front sight with the white dot and the rear one blacked out.

The Tru-Glo sights have a long, thin front sight that is fragile. If this is only a range gun, that's not a problem. The fiber optic rods in the Tru-Glo sight occasionally fall out. If this gun may be subjected to hard use, the Tru-glo sight are not a very durable sight.

With regards to the different colors of night sights available:
All night sights that use tritium degrade over time. The half life on the green sights is about 10-12 years from date of mfg. What this means is that the will glow half as bright 10 years from now. Tritium is radioactive and will degrade like other radioactive materials. The half life for other colors is substantially shorter that the green. Red is the shortest half life, being about 5 years, I believe. Orange and Yellow are fairly short as well, being between 6-8 years. If you are concerned about how long your sights will last, stick with green.

Heinie, Trijicon, Meprolite (aka Tru-DOT or Kimber), PT night sights, and Novak all make excellent, durable sights, in a variety of styles.

I usually recommend that you stick with one style of sight when you transistion between multiple handguns for tactical use. (i.e. all straight eight, all 3-dot...) If you use one gun primarily and everything else is just a "range gun" it isn't such a big deal, but if you get used to one type, then transition to another and use it under duress, you can slow your reactions down as your mind adjusts to the different sight picture. This shouldn't happen if you are point shooting (or the "flash front sight picture) at close range, but you may need to get a quick round off at 15 yards, and at this range you should be starting to get a full sight picture again.

Craig

One more note, Glock has their own night sites mfg for them, but they require the front sight be crimped in place (similar to non-dovetailed 1911's) rather that held by a screw. They are also quite durable.

Craig

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ds664</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One more note, Glock has their own night sites mfg for them, but they require the front sight be crimped in place (similar to non-dovetailed 1911's) rather that held by a screw. They are also quite durable.

Craig </div></div>

I have the factory nites on my G29. They're very durable, the pistol was dropped about 6 feet onto concrete and there was no change in POI and only a small ding in the side of the steel sight. No damage to the front sight blade.

I have not had an issue with the TFO sight as of yet. While I am no "operator", I carry my G19 almost everywhere. It gets jammed into pockets, packs, under the seat, in the glove box, in between the seats (often hitting the seat mount) and anywhere else I might have to put it when it cannot be carried in somewhere.