• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Glock recoil springs- explain please

Hannibal

Private
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2005
Which weight spring works best with just a standard FMJ round- the lower or the higher weight spring? Never seen a proper explanation of the accessory. Any info?

Tums

Re: Glock recoil springs- explain please

Glock Improved? I've had a lot of experience with glocks and I wouldn't change anything. Different springs won't help accuracy, that's up to the shooter. Glocks are the most reliable guns out there, swapping to heavier spring might change that.

Don't go below 13 pounds with a Glock unless you've got super light loads. The way to pick a recoil spring is to pick a spot on a target and aim in. Use your normal stance/grip/etc. Close your eyes and fire the shot. Open your eyes. If the sights are back on target you're good. If the sights are high, you need more spring, low and you need a lighter spring. Once you get the spring, shoot a couple hundred rounds to make sure everything works. I use a 14 lb ISMI spring with my 147gr Production load, 12 pound with my sub minor steel load and the stock spring when I'm shooting GSSF.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glock Improved? I've had a lot of experience with glocks and I wouldn't change anything. Different springs won't help accuracy, that's up to the shooter.<span style="color: #FF0000">IMO </span>Glocks are the most reliable guns out there, swapping to heavier spring might change that. </div></div>

OMG!!! You just need to learn how to shoot. Glock's & ED(m)s are like Tonka toys, you just need to learn how to play with them.

What kind of pistol do you normally shoot? I would suspect the grip angle or trigger messed you up more than the recoil spring.

My experience with my 20 and 29 was that recoil spring strength made no difference as to whether or not I could hit what I was aiming at, the trigger threw me for a loop the first couple boxes of ammo through the G20.

The spring changes helped me load that 10's hotter to get a little more velocity from my 10mm loads without bottoming out the recoil spring.

Something is seriously wrong if the recoil is pretty stout with a Glock 17 shooting factory loads. Shoot closer to the target until you are happy with groups and progressively increase your distance. Changing the recoil spring will not make you a better shooter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Something is seriously wrong if the recoil is pretty stout with a Glock 17 shooting factory loads. Shoot closer to the target until you are happy with groups and progressively increase your distance. Changing the recoil spring will not make you a better shooter. </div></div>

+1

I shoot 130 pf ammo and see no need to change the recoil spring in any of my guns.

They are all different animals. Just the difference in the grips will through you off. Kinda why so many are going with the adjustable backstrap and glock "sf" pistols.

As for the xdm, my luck was exactly the oposite as the OP. i couldn't shoot that thing for shit. Let me put it this way, I can way out shoot my self (xdm) with my (new to me) Glock 27. Don't ask me why, thats just the way its is.

Fundamentals are fundamentals grip angle this and that mean little (though one may be preffered over another).Solid grip proper sight alignment and proper trigger control and the results are boring.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fundamentals are fundamentals grip angle this and that mean little (though one may be preffered over another).Solid grip proper sight alignment and proper trigger control and the results are boring.

</div></div>

I agree. Equipment discussions are merely excuses.

Yes, grip angle experience with the Glock will improve your groups. I shoot Glocks pistols almost exclusively now and am less accurate shooting anything else!

As far as springs, I believe the stock spring on the 17 is an 18# (don't quote me on that). I have two IPSC Glocks that I run 13# ISMI springs on and haven't experienced any problems whatsoever. The lighter spring does tend to flatten the initial recoil impulse which I believe is caused by a faster slide reciprocating speed and less spring force being applied at point of cartridge ignition.

There is no substitute for basic fundamentals but the gun and load you shoot exclusively should prove to be the most accurate. Can I take a quality 1911 and familiarize myself with it and equal or better myself vs. the Glock, most definitely.

My G20 doesn't fit my hand worth a shit and it sees nothing but max loads, but I shoot is so much, muscle memory and applied fundamentals wins in the end.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Something is seriously wrong if the recoil is pretty stout with a Glock 17 shooting factory loads. Shoot closer to the target until you are happy with groups and progressively increase your distance. Changing the recoil spring will not make you a better shooter. </div></div>

+ eleventy billion 9mm and stout do not belong in the same thought.

Recoil is going to feel different between different manufacturer's handguns. XD's grip angle is more similar to a 1911 and Glock is Glock. Sounds like you prefer the grip angle of 1911 or XD. It's Not bad just the way it is for you.

dont limp wrist it. Recoil should be very manageable. Glocks grip angle is different from 1911's. I have both 1911's & a Glock G19. Although i love my 1911's and will never get rid of them (just plain sexy), I try to shoot my G19 more than anything. Shoot what you are going to carry. Adjust your behavior to control and practice to improve.
Just my .02
Angles are different, but the Glock has been a very "learnable" gun for me at least. I carry it every day every where now and do not feel the least bit at a disavantage.
Edited to add...
Some guns are not for some people. If the XD spins your wrench, run with it. FIne gun also.
I still like my G19
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hannibal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Went shooting this past weekend- tried a Springfield XDM and a Glock 17- 9mm. Damn, I was hitting everything with the XDM and couldn't hit dick with the Glock. I was pitiful. Recoil was pretty stout with the Glock. I mentioned it to the the owner and he told me that the Glock could really be improved with new recoil springs- he had a bunch of different Wolf springs in the case, various packs with different pound markings- 12 to 20ish.

Which weight spring works best with just a standard FMJ round- the lower or the higher weight spring? Never seen a proper explaination of the accessory. Any info?

Han

</div></div>

Glock is silly pistol- all mistakes with trigger pull multiplys with it

My G17 groups went to half with this:
http://www.glockwarehouse.com/product_p/zt-ful-ult-sm.htm

The Vanek trigger is really great, too. Even the production legal one.