• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Glock Replacement Barrels?

Bryan27

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2007
Tennessee
Just wanted to hear if any of you have replaced your glocks with one of the aftermarket replacement barrels? I was looking around and it looks like Wilson Combat makes several different models. I'm looking to give my 21 a face lift from its stock configuration and give it new sights, polish up some of the contact surfaces of the trigger, 3.5lb trigger, titanium recoil rod and new spring... and maybe a new barrel. One thing I'd like to be able to do is shoot lead bullets through it...Would one of these replacement barrels allow that? The W.C. barrel says that it needs to be fit by a gunsmith, has anyone fit one themselves and what does that involve?

Re: Glock Replacement Barrels?

I bought a storm lake barrel for my G22 to switch it to 357sig. It's good quality no issues with it.

I prefer using OEM Glock barrels unless I want to shoot lead, or run hot-rod 10mm or 45 Super loads.

Yes, you can shoot straight lead from an aftermarket barrel.

I've had great success with Lone Wolf barrels, and they've been a simple drop-in fit for me.

I wouldn't bother with the titanium guide rod... Serves no purpose other than it's cool to have "titanium" stuff.

I bought a Lone wolf barrel for my G21 to shoot lead, it was a drop in operation, and shoots tighter than the stock one.

The ones that require fitting will need to be fit by a gunsmith. It is a specialized process you should not attempt yourself.

The drop in barrels from storm lake and lone wolf are of very good quality, and require no fitting. You can shoot lead bullets through them. They offer a wide assortment of other benefits if you want. conversion barrels, ported barrels, threaded for suppressors, etc.

Tried a Lonewolf Threaded barrel on my G22 and had FTF every 5 rounds or so. After about 150 rounds, I polished the feed ramp to see if that would help. Still a bunch of FTF's. Put back in my factory barrel and zero problems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sw99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tried a Lonewolf Threaded barrel on my G22 and had FTF every 5 rounds or so. After about 150 rounds, I polished the feed ramp to see if that would help. Still a bunch of FTF's. Put back in my factory barrel and zero problems. </div></div>

I have never tried one myself, my Glocks are factory for combat reliability. I cant take a risk on the kool-aid fucking up my gun.

OP make sure you research reliability problems like above before you make a decision.

The lonewolf barrels I own have FULLY supported chambers, and the chambers are TIGHT. My 10mm ammo (reloaded) did not functon reliably until I changed my practices, by running used brass through a push-thru die and tightening up the crimp. Consider the LW chambers as minimum SAAMI "match" chambers, and not "combat" chambers.

I haven't had any issue with factory ammo, but I don't shoot much of it. My G23 with LW 40-9 barrel has only been fed factory seller/belliot ammo, and runs like a champ so far, though its probably only been 200-300 rounds. I don't do much 9mm shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The lonewolf barrels I own have FULLY supported chambers, and the chambers are TIGHT. My 10mm ammo (reloaded) did not functon reliably until I changed my practices, by running used brass through a push-thru die and tightening up the crimp. Consider the LW chambers as minimum SAAMI "match" chambers, and not "combat" chambers.

I haven't had any issue with factory ammo, but I don't shoot much of it. My G23 with LW 40-9 barrel has only been fed factory seller/belliot ammo, and runs like a champ so far, though its probably only been 200-300 rounds. I don't do much 9mm shooting. </div></div>
I run Lone Wolf on any glock I purchase. I think their barrel setup from the factory is a sad joke to the consumer but at least Lone Wolf makes some damn nice parts to udgrade to. Get a Lone Wolf and you won't regret it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The lonewolf barrels I own have FULLY supported chambers, and the chambers are TIGHT. My 10mm ammo (reloaded) did not functon reliably until I changed my practices, by running used brass through a push-thru die and tightening up the crimp. Consider the LW chambers as minimum SAAMI "match" chambers, and not "combat" chambers.

I haven't had any issue with factory ammo, but I don't shoot much of it. My G23 with LW 40-9 barrel has only been fed factory seller/belliot ammo, and runs like a champ so far, though its probably only been 200-300 rounds. I don't do much 9mm shooting. </div></div>
I run Lone Wolf on any glock I purchase. I think their barrel setup from the factory is a sad joke to the consumer but at least Lone Wolf makes some damn nice parts to udgrade to. Get a Lone Wolf and you won't regret it.</div></div>

What is a sad joke? Glock factory barrels? Really?

+1 Jim D

I'd like to know what makes OEM Glock barrels a "sad joke" as well.

Glock factory barrels are superior IMO. They tend to have good accuracy and very high velocity for their barrel length. No feeding issues and maintain accuracy and velocity with loose chambers. While I have not come close to shooting one out, there are reports of barrels lasting over 50,000 rounds and still maintaining 4" groups @ 25 yards. Only downsides I see are the "unsupported chamber" and the danger of shooting lead. For low pressure rounds like 9mm and to a lesser extent .45, the unsupported chamber is not really an issue.
I only own 9mm Gen3 glocks so YMMV.

Good info and it raises a few more questions for me. What exactly is a fully supported chamber and what are the advantages of it? Also, when going from one barrel to the next, is there any noticable shift between POA/POI?

I'm a fairly new pistol shooter and mainly want to be able to shoot cast lead to get some cheaper practice in with the G21. IMO, the G21 isn't really a gun I'd carry because unless I have a big coat on I can't conceal it. That said, being "battle ready" and reliable aren't the most important decision making aspects, to the point that it doesn't become frustrating to shoot anyway. I want it to be 100% reliable of course, but this is going to be a range gun. I do have my mind set on a G17 and maybe a more compact glock, the 21 is going to be my "test" gun to see what works for me and what doesn't. In the event that I would carry it, I'll drop the factory barrel back in.

I'll get flamed for this, but lead is not a problem in stock Glock barrels. I've run probably 25k bare lead bullets (mostly major loads for USPSA) through my .40S&W Glock barrels and am still here to tell about it. I think poor loading practices and bullet set back are the problems with lead. I use WST for powder, which seems pretty clean and less smokey with lead bullets. When people try to use too fast of powders and don't make sure the case tension is adequate problems can occur. If you want peace of mind, buy a Lone Wolf barrel, but be prepared to clean it frequently. My stock barrels all have stayed cleaner than aftermarket ones with lead bullets. I clean my game pistols a couple times each year or so.

I recently purchased a TSD threaded barrel for my G19. It's plenty stout, locks up tight, supposedly is melonited, and is accurate. It came with a thread protector which was nice and is the same price as LWD, cheaper if you include having to pay for the thread protector for the LWD.

Replaced my Glock barrel with an M&P
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot4fun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Replaced my Glock barrel with an M&P
smile.gif

</div></div>
Why replace it when one can buy right the first time and simply go with the M&P
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mscott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll get flamed for this, but lead is not a problem in stock Glock barrels. I've run probably 25k bare lead bullets (mostly major loads for USPSA) through my .40S&W Glock barrels and am still here to tell about it. I think poor loading practices and bullet set back are the problems with lead. I use WST for powder, which seems pretty clean and less smokey with lead bullets. When people try to use too fast of powders and don't make sure the case tension is adequate problems can occur. If you want peace of mind, buy a Lone Wolf barrel, but be prepared to clean it frequently. My stock barrels all have stayed cleaner than aftermarket ones with lead bullets. I clean my game pistols a couple times each year or so. </div></div>
You might get flamed for this because your post is in the danger zone. You are telling people something is safe when it has been proven be anything even close to safe. I am sorry but I have seen shooting USPSA glock idiots thinking lead is ok and then one day they no longer have a gun. Just because you have one that under some stupid reason you feel safe shooting the wrong ammo through does not matter and your advice is just stupid. Please refrain from posting if you can't give safe advice. And to the Glock "Guys" who can't figure out what is wrong with the factory barrels shouldn't be giving advice also.

I run KKM barrels in 10mm and 40SW. I've been very pleased with them. Much more support and thankfully no feeding problems at all. Drop in and go....

I'll flame the guy saying lead is good to go. It's not.

My used G20 came with ammo - 50 or so were lead. I knew the warning, and proceeded in trying them carefully. There were gobs of smeared lead in the rifling after FIVE ROUNDS.

A range buddy used ti run lead in his G21. I warned him, he knew better of course, and blew up his barrel several thousand rounds later. He "used" to use lead.

I suspect very hard cast lead is less of a problem but can't say for sure. If I were to take my G20 into bear country, it would have 220gr ultra-hard cast loads, but the likelihood of using them would be low, and so would the round count.

To the felliw asking about a supported chamber:

Some automatic pistols make a tradeoff between feeding reliability and case support, by making the feedramp longer, and not as steep. That means the bottom rear of the case is not "in the chamber", but rather hanging in the air above the feedramp.

In most cases, the brass will just expand to fill the void, leaving a buldge. In the Glock world, its called a Glock smile. With very high pressure cartridges, it can lead to a casehead seperation, where the brass stretches too much, tears, and the flaming, expanding cloud of gunpowder short-circuits the barrel and bliws out of the tear in the brass - this is called a "ka-boom". Usually it blows the extractor off, and bliws the magazine out the magwell.

This whole thing became notorious because of tge early 40 cal Glocks, and reloaded ammo. Companies sell special dies that you push the brass all the way through, to eliminate the buldge. Obviously, it doesn't thicken the stretchex brass, but rather, pushes the bulge to the inside, so the case will again fit into the chamber.

A fully supported chamber will have a steeper, shorter feedramp, so tge bottom rear of the case is sitting against steel, thus supporting it.

Glock chose the design they did for combat reliability, not to be kind to brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mscott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll get flamed for this, but lead is not a problem in stock Glock barrels. I've run probably 25k bare lead bullets (mostly major loads for USPSA) through my .40S&W Glock barrels and am still here to tell about it. I think poor loading practices and bullet set back are the problems with lead. I use WST for powder, which seems pretty clean and less smokey with lead bullets. When people try to use too fast of powders and don't make sure the case tension is adequate problems can occur. If you want peace of mind, buy a Lone Wolf barrel, but be prepared to clean it frequently. My stock barrels all have stayed cleaner than aftermarket ones with lead bullets. I clean my game pistols a couple times each year or so. </div></div>
You might get flamed for this because your post is in the danger zone. You are telling people something is safe when it has been proven be anything even close to safe. I am sorry but I have seen shooting USPSA glock idiots thinking lead is ok and then one day they no longer have a gun. Just because you have one that under some stupid reason you feel safe shooting the wrong ammo through does not matter and your advice is just stupid. Please refrain from posting if you can't give safe advice. <span style="font-weight: bold">And to the Glock "Guys" who can't figure out what is wrong with the factory barrels shouldn't be giving advice also. </span></div></div>

Well, please enlighten us with what the big problem is then.

My 9mm Glocks have proven to be exceptionally reliable and accurate.

Here is a signed target I have from Larry Vickers, having shot one of the highest scores he's had in open enrollment classes on "The Humbler". 60 rounds went through this piece of paper.

IMG_0747-1.jpg

Being that I don't think you can suggest that Glock barrels have reliability problems, I wonder what exactly your problem is with them.

Unsupported chambers? Not a real world issue. I've seen hundreds of thousands of rounds go through Glocks, and it's just not a problem.

If you are going to knock Glock OEM barrel accuracy, I would hope you can consistently shoot 3" or better groups at 25 yards. If not, it's of no real world significance to you, or 99% of shooters out there.

Very few folks can outshoot Glocks. For them, they will outshoot just about every duty gun on the market. A $150 Wilson Combat barrel is a hell of a lot cheaper than having a 1911 built, to squeeze that last bit of mechanical accuracy out of the platform for the few who can perform well enough to see the difference.

I don't think he is commenting on glock accuracy, he is talking about the danger of lead ammo. There has been plenty of cases of exploding glocks due to the use of lead ammo, to ignore it or tell everyone that glocks can shoot lead ammo just fine because yours has fired plenty of lead rounds is simply bad advice. This isn't a "let's crap on glocks" issue, it's making sure that people use the right ammo to avoid potential dangers and proposing alternative modifications should someone want to use lead ammo. My .02, you get what you pay for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: InArdusFidelis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think he is commenting on glock accuracy, he is talking about the danger of lead ammo. There has been plenty of cases of exploding glocks due to the use of lead ammo, to ignore it or tell everyone that glocks can shoot lead ammo just fine because yours has fired plenty of lead rounds is simply bad advice. This isn't a "let's crap on glocks" issue, it's making sure that people use the right ammo to avoid potential dangers and proposing alternative modifications should someone want to use lead ammo. My .02, you get what you pay for.</div></div> Understood, but I don't think that makes something "wrong" with a factory barrel, as has been stated.

If that really is the case... then every HK is made "wrong" too.

Very true. I never really understood the use of completely unjacketed bullets, but that's a separate issue entirely. It does seem like HK handles lead better than glocks however... Haha I'm just screwing with you, I'll go back to drinking my HK coolaid now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll flame the guy saying lead is good to go. It's not.

My used G20 came with ammo - 50 or so were lead. I knew the warning, and proceeded in trying them carefully. There were gobs of smeared lead in the rifling after FIVE ROUNDS.

A range buddy used ti run lead in his G21. I warned him, he knew better of course, and blew up his barrel several thousand rounds later. He "used" to use lead.

I suspect very hard cast lead is less of a problem but can't say for sure. If I were to take my G20 into bear country, it would have 220gr ultra-hard cast loads, but the likelihood of using them would be low, and so would the round count.

To the felliw asking about a supported chamber:

Some automatic pistols make a tradeoff between feeding reliability and case support, by making the feedramp longer, and not as steep. That means the bottom rear of the case is not "in the chamber", but rather hanging in the air above the feedramp.

In most cases, the brass will just expand to fill the void, leaving a buldge. In the Glock world, its called a Glock smile. With very high pressure cartridges, it can lead to a casehead seperation, where the brass stretches too much, tears, and the flaming, expanding cloud of gunpowder short-circuits the barrel and bliws out of the tear in the brass - this is called a "ka-boom". Usually it blows the extractor off, and bliws the magazine out the magwell.

This whole thing became notorious because of tge early 40 cal Glocks, and reloaded ammo. Companies sell special dies that you push the brass all the way through, to eliminate the buldge. Obviously, it doesn't thicken the stretchex brass, but rather, pushes the bulge to the inside, so the case will again fit into the chamber.

A fully supported chamber will have a steeper, shorter feedramp, so tge bottom rear of the case is sitting against steel, thus supporting it.

Glock chose the design they did for combat reliability, not to be kind to brass.</div></div>

Thanks for explaining, makes sense now.

Cannot believe no one has mentioned Bar-Sto Barrels. I have used Lone Wolf and KKM barrels and have no complaints with either, but IMHO Bar-Sto is #1 hands down. Either barrel option requires fitting and they are proud so pull out the wallet, but you will get top-notch quality parts and gunsmithing.

Bryan27 from your post it appears you are considering fitting the barrel yourself. If you are not a gunsmith please do not attempt. Saving a few bucks is not worth your hand. Plus what good is a gun if it will not function properly.

When I checked Lone wolf, it was undersize in ever dimension of the OEM Glock.

If your Glock doesn't fit tight enough for you, I would definitely recommend you stay away from Lone wolf.

I had a KKM Beretta barrel and that was oversize. Maybe KKM makes a good barrel.

Bar-sto may be good too. I had one of their drop in 220 barrels and it was very tight and shot one hole groups at 25 yards with Federal Gold Medal match .45 ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I checked Lone wolf, it was undersize in ever dimension of the OEM Glock.

If your Glock doesn't fit tight enough for you, I would definitely recommend you stay away from Lone wolf.

I had a KKM Beretta barrel and that was oversize. Maybe KKM makes a good barrel.

Bar-sto may be good too. I had one of their drop in 220 barrels and it was very tight and shot one hole groups at 25 yards with Federal Gold Medal match .45 ammo. </div></div>
I have always had great things to say about Lone Wolf but KKM is great for the M&P, never ran any other gun with one though. Stormlake is another one that is good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Griffin Armament</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I checked Lone wolf, it was undersize in ever dimension of the OEM Glock.

Bar-sto may be good too. I had one of their drop in 220 barrels and it was very tight and shot one hole groups at 25 yards with Federal Gold Medal match .45 ammo. </div></div>
I have always had great things to say about Lone Wolf but KKM is great for the M&P, never ran any other gun with one though. Stormlake is another one that is good. </div></div>

I have no personal feelings involved. A couple weeks ago after shooting my G19 with a LWD barrel, I wasn't impressed and pulled a calipers and compared several dimensions and found them all to be smaller on the Lone Wolf (.002-.005). That suggests the obvious (more play with Lone Wolf). The smaller part can't fit tighter.

Glock factory barrels are typically very well fitted, but I wouldn't be surprised if KKM or Barsto could better it by a very small margin and really make the gun sing.

The question then would be how long that fit remained, as the non- tennifer treated stainless part should probably wear faster than the tennifer treated carbon steel.

I would never realize the accuracy potential of my g17 or g26 without the "semi-drop-in" Barsto barrels in each. Yes, I tried OEM Glock first, and there is a diference. The red dot allows for pin-point accuracy, the barrels lock up tight, feed flawlessly.

G17, Trijicon RMR, Busse "ABA."

DSC00500.jpg

I have never had a Glock OEM let me down. I have shopped around for others but never felt that i needed to replace the one that works.