• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Glocks Work. Period. End of Story.

Centuriator

Dude...you're being very un-Dude.
Banned !
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2012
Middle 'Merica!
I wrote this up for a buddy who was caught up in typical gun forum debates over Glock and how Glock does not "innovate" and ... well, you know how it goes. FWIW...

Re. Glock and innovation...

Here's the deal...Glock has provided the world with the most combat-tested, combat-proven firearm ever invented, selling hundreds of millions of them. They are easy to use. Easy to maintain. Easy to shoot. A trained monkey can field strip them. An average IQ human can detail strip them. There are tens of thousands of after-market parts and gizmos for them. You can customize them to your heart's content.

But on the other hand, they perform reliably and consistently right out of the box, even with their stock crappy sights. They get the job done. They are intended to be and always have been combat-accurate handguns useful for CQB situations of every description. They are legendarily resistant to abusive environmental conditions and abusive human operators.
Glock does not need to "innovate" ... they just need to keep their quality control strong and keep churning out these marvelous polymer-framed wonder guns.

The Glock inspires endless online debates among mostly keyboard warriors who have never gone in harms way, never experienced the terror and thrill of the two-way range and have never heard, let alone fired, a single bullet fired in anger in their lives, and hopefully never will. Let these types debate, whine, cry and otherwise *****/moan/debate about Glock not "innovating" all they want. The rest of us will just smile and nod and say, "That's nice, honey."

Glocks work. Period. End of story.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1VD1D1hLsQ

The thing I find interesting about them is the "balance" of the Glock. I don't mean that in reference to weight distribution but in design.

Glocks aren't the best at anything and yet they endure.

They are accurate enough, pointable enough, thin enough, concealable enough, easy enough to maintain, easy enough to fix, tough enough and reliable enough to trust.

They are the rack grade M-4 of the handgun world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well said. I have been shooting Glocks for a long time and every version of most calibers. The best one for me is the 19X

Hard to articulate why, but it points better than any handgun I have ever used.

I can clear "The Test" in 6 seconds with it and score 90+ consistently and 95+ on a good day. Have not been able to do that with anything else.

I would compare it to an issued M4. Nothing fancy. But it works.

Last edited:
A G19 can hit a full size ipsc at a 100 yards repeatedly no problem and have see the Glock 26 do very well at that distance to so accuracy is as good as it would ever need to be. Reliability etc etc is as we all know

Reactions: Centuriator
The only change that Glock should consider, IMO, is altering (steepening) the grip angle. It can certainly be dealt with as-is, but most people have to get used to it via training, which indicates that it is not natural or intuitive for most.

Well said. I have been shooting Glocks for a long time and every version of most calibers. The best one for me is the 19X

Hard to articulate why, but it points better than any handgun I have ever used.

I can clear "The Test" in 6 seconds with it and score 90+ consistently and 95+ on a good day. Have not been able to do that with anything else.

I would compare it to an issued M4. Nothing fancy. But it works.

What is "The Test"?

Reactions: Bender
If glocks are so great, why didn't the us mil choose them over the sig ? I own a 19x/G43, but hate glocks in general. Maybe I have been shooting a 1911 for way too long. I will never get used to the grip angle on one.

Does anyone have the new G45 yet ? I been thinking about buying one.

The title says it all. They work and work well. I was never and will never be a Glock fan boy. However I do own four lol, two Gen4 19s and two 42s. They're boringly reliable and boringly consistent. I always shoot them well and I know they will always work when I need them to.

Reactions: Bender
If glocks are so great, why didn't the us mil choose them over the sig ? I own a 19x/G43, but hate glocks in general. Maybe I have been shooting a 1911 for way too long. I will never get used to the grip angle on one.

I'm a huge 1911 fan and do most of my practice with a 1911 type of pistol. I ended up grinding off the hump on a G26 to better match the grip angle on the 1911.

I've carried a glock for a long time. I originally bought a glock bc I didn't wanna spend the extra coin on an hk. I've been happy with all my glocks except one g17 and I think it was just a lemon and everyone makes one once in a while. If loaded any idiot can make a glock go bang reliably..

I've carried a glock for a long time. I originally bought a glock bc I didn't wanna spend the extra coin on an hk. I've been happy with all my glocks except one g17 and I think it was just a lemon and everyone makes one once in a while. If loaded any idiot can make a glock go bang reliably..
I have carried an HK daily for 13 years. You made the right choice.

I have a Wilson CQB and a Custa Ludus 2011(9mm) and M&P 9mm that I absolutely love. That being said, we live in a glock world, as bad as I hate to say it. I like my 19x but its not very accurate, even with my stormlake barrel in it. So thought I would try the G45 since its about the same.

I shot a g45 Friday. To me, it's a gen5 g17 frame with a gen5 g19 slide, with an accurized grade barrel. Off a bag at 25 I could hold 4" fairly consistently. The grip was "to me" the best feeling glock I've ever shot.
And yes, I like 1911's much better... jfwiw.. first duty gun was a 1911...
Politics changed that, there a couple of others, a yuck S&W 4506, and for about 15 years I carried a sig 229. Last 7, a g19. Glock is my friend....

I really liked the g45. I want one, but, I dont need it. It wont do any more than my #1 19..

man i love my sti 2011's in uspsa, 3 gun, etc, but my bedside and carry guns are both glocks, they just work.

Reactions: DaleGribble82
The reason many Law Enforcement departments use Glocks is really down to simply price & sometimes also lowest common denominator.

But hey if you have Glocks, love Glocks, feel passionate about Glocks... go for it by all means...

Glock 19x has become my favorite sidearm. I have Berettas, H&K, custom 1911s and the 19x makes me feel like its cheating.

15 yards and can put a box of 50 of the shitty Wolf, firing at a quick pace (pull trigger, sights rest, reset, pull trigger, sights rest, reset, etc <1 second per round) at keep them all in basically a shot out hole about 3/4 the side of my closed fist.

There are a lot of pieces to scoring a military contract... the product its self is only one of them. Spare parts, armorer training, location of manufacture, etc... all play a part. Add to that the fact that the military wanted a modular system that would allow a single pistol to be configured in a variety of ways, and that alone made it an uphill climb for Glock.

The long and short of it is that if you have use for a pistol as a tool/appliance, it's damned tough to beat a Glock.

The reason many Law Enforcement departments use Glocks is really down to simply price & sometimes also lowest common denominator.

But hey if you have Glocks, love Glocks, feel passionate about Glocks... go for it by all means...
Price is certainly a factor. Glock paid for thier R&D costs by about 1984.

There are only a very few handful of pistols that have been truly deployed and tested world wide in every conceivable environment. The few I can think of are the Hi-Power, the 1911, maybe the Beretta 92's in some form, and the Glock. Love it or hate it, it's earned it's due.

I haven't even owned a Glock in the last ten years, but coincidently I have been thinking lately of simplifying my inventory and just trading a disparate collection in for a few Glocks and an ass load of cheap surplus magazines.

Add to that the fact that the military wanted a modular system that would allow a single pistol to be configured in a variety of ways.

***COMMENTARY not directed at Burnout..
And how well have "some" of those modular systems worked out for mil, and how cost effective in the long run... ***

The long and short of it is that if you have use for a pistol as a tool/appliance, it's damned tough to beat a Glock.

It's a working tool, that's definitely been proven... as hard to beat... by a lot of people in a lot of places..

My brother was always a Glock guy until he bought one I don't remember which Gen it was a 9mm, but some pin kept walking out and would cause a FTF good thing we were at the range and it wasn't SD situation. I personally don't care for the ergonomics of a Glock so I use other brands that also GO BANG when I pull the trigger. GLOCKS WORK PERIOD, BUT SO DO MANY OTHER HAND GUNS.....NOW END OF STORY!

I'm not a pistolero but most all of my pistols are Glock save a few. They're all tools, carry pistols of some sort, though I must admit I mostly carry the G27 in the VM2 rig like I have for 15 years. All of them are in original condition except for new Trijicon sights and half of them have an aftermarket guide rod of one type or another, usually to adjust spring weights when light handloads are used. Oh, I found it's useful to jb weld a piece of emery cloth on the slide stop too, like night and day and works better than the aftermarket OR Glock part. I'm also guilty of the polish job. It does help IME.

They just always work. Don't understand why people spend $4k on upgrading a pistol that's not meant to be upgraded. None of 'em will ever shoot better than my G17L. Or the stock G20 10mm for that matter.

I'm a trigger snob too, but when it comes to Glocks, I understand they are what they are and if I needed a better trigger in a pistol, I wouldn't be using Glocks in the first place.

Yes, there are other good pistols that go bang, but when I started down the Glock path, none of them had a chance to copy Glock yet. So I just stayed with Glock. If I were to get another brand to carry daily, I wouldn't even know where to start. I'd like a nice 1911, just can't bring myself to drop the coin on something I'd never use or carry that costs the same as a TRG42.

Reactions: Centuriator

That's a VERY good question and if you do a bit more research you will find out Glocks came out equally to SIGS. Uncle Sam went with the lowest bidder. I hope it all turns out for them.

Reactions: FishinGuns
My favorite Glock is the Glock 19X and now also the Glock 45. The balance is perfect. Just really fun to shoot.

The only change that Glock should consider, IMO, is altering (steepening) the grip angle. It can certainly be dealt with as-is, but most people have to get used to it via training, which indicates that it is not natural or intuitive for most.
no....the steep grip angle is the selling point of the glock, and one of the reasons its as controllable as it is......if you have to "get used to it", good, because its a better system for shooting.

Just got back from shooting my G17 w/RDS. Wanted to make sure it would feed 115gn. ball, subsonic ball, and subsonic hollow points, with and without a can on front. It ran perfectly, oh and it was 9 degrees out and snowing.

Reactions: deersniper
I have owned 4 Glocks in various calibers and found them to be everything touted...reliable, accurate, simple, durable, etc. But I have other pistols that are just as simple, rugged, reliable, and accurate, and suit me better so I sold all but one Glock (G42 belongs to my Wife) and carry Beretta's and Sig Sauer's mostly.

Glocks are great guns. They are not alone in this regard and rating them above other pistols is largely a matter of opinion. I find them to be fine for other people. Not for me so much.

VooDoo

Reactions: Mater2009
WAYYY back when, I thought I'd beat the odds concerning malfunctions with my G17, this was using aluminum Blazer ammo, vs reloading brass cases which I had done in the past, as Blazer was the cheapest factory ammo I could find at the time. So I bought like 1500 of them.

Went to the American Handgunner World Shootoff and entered unclassified division. I was on a winning steak when my G started malfunctioning, causing me to lose some bouts.

I took it apart and there were aluminum shavings everywhere, I think from the extractor tearing off little pieces every time the pistol was fired. So I started cleaning it out after every stage, then it was fine.

I got 2nd place!!! Am pretty sure I would have won 1st but oh well. The next year I brought a 1911 and I beat that same guy pretty easily.

Owned 4-5 Glocks and they aren't bad for what they are. Have a G42 for the wife but I have no plans for buying another G.

I use my STI 2011 for comps and have since shortly after they came out. Over the years I tried various other semiauto pistols, sold them all but stayed with 2011 as #1 choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: nikonNUT
Glock ergonomics are a joke. Pick up a CZ, any CZ, to find out what correct design is like.
I have a CZ..... it is my primary.... it replaced my Glock in fact.

And If I could make the Cz better.... it would be to give it a Glock grip angle.... because locking the wrists further forward is better for recoil control

no....the steep grip angle is the selling point of the glock, and one of the reasons its as controllable as it is......if you have to "get used to it", good, because its a better system for shooting.
I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there. It may be a better system or better for recoil control for you, but not for everyone. For instance, I find when shooting my LWD Timberwolf frame (which features a steeper grip angle), it points more naturally, locks into my support hand more comfortably, and comes back on target quicker than the same upper on a factory Glock frame.

I think many pointing, balance and recoil issues are simply what you have trained or become accustom to shooting. I doubt one 2-4# chunk of metal or plastic has more pointing accuracy than another. Personally I prefer a first model Colt Woodsman or a pre A1 1911. That is what I have shot for the last 50 years. YMMV

My brother was always a Glock guy until he bought one I don't remember which Gen it was a 9mm, but some pin kept walking out and would cause a FTF good thing we were at the range and it wasn't SD situation. I personally don't care for the ergonomics of a Glock so I use other brands that also GO BANG when I pull the trigger. GLOCKS WORK PERIOD, BUT SO DO MANY OTHER HAND GUNS.....NOW END OF STORY!
This is something I can agree with man, I love Glocks, I have several. I’m not a fan boy though I have other pistols and like other pistols just as much some that I don’t have and some that I do. I just like guns to each their own.

Reactions: Steel+Killer

This can happen with the separate locking block pin when the gun is sprung too soft, ammunition is too hot, recoil spring worn out, or any combination of the above. It's a lot harder to get the trigger/slide stop/locking block pin to walk because of how the slide stop lever retains that pin. Gen 2 and earlier do not have the separate locking block pin.

I am not saying it is the only cause, but one I have experienced a few times using aftermarket12-13lb recoil springs, or worn out heavier springs, in G34s. It did not cause FTFs because of how the other pin kept the block in place, but did prevent the pistol from being reholstered until it was pressed back in.

It's just as easy to make a Glock unreliable as anything else when you start tinkering with it.

Glock ergonomics are a joke. Pick up a CZ, any CZ, to find out what correct design is like.

I think I am in the minority that tries to find some positive attributes in it. The Glock's swept frame and flat sides promote a very aggressive grip and a lot control over the weapon. Combined with the low bore axis and light weight up front, they are about the fastest transitioning thing around and still controllable for fast splits.... great for 'grip and rip' courses of fire. There are pretty well 'dehorned' by design and there is nothing to tear you up shooting all day.

That's pretty much all I can come up with. There's also a lot not to like.

My favorite was the now deceased guy who wrote books about Glocks. One called "LIVING WITH GLOCKS".
I always wondered if the sequel was going to be "LIVING WITH GLAD KITCHEN TRASH BAGS". :)

Hard to fault either but who really cares.

Its all subjective. Its all about the Indian, not the arrow. A proficient shooter can pick up any handgun and with the right fundamentals can make it preform. Any serious handgun shooter I know works on the fundamentals, especially grip strength. Stay behind the gun, grip it like it owes you money and focus on the front sight. As for Glocks, they do work. Have been shooting a 19, 17, 41 and 34 for the past 5 or 6 years in competitions and have yet had one fail. Shot 1911s for probably 30 years and while I love the platform, can't make the same claim.
fullsizeoutput_30a.jpeg

Glocks work. Anyone who disputes that is a fool.

The part I don't understand is liking them. Unreasonable attachment to an inanimate object that has no quality workmanship or artistic value. It is the shoelace of the gun world.