• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Glocks

Hattrick

Private
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2014
Question for guys that have both gen 4 and 5 what’s the difference you like or don’t? All mine are gen 4s, I’m looking at buying a 34 and wondering which route to go.

Every Gen 4 glock i have owned (35, 26, 27) have had to replace the front sight because they all shot WAY High. My 35 gives the ocassional brass to the face, but they are all reliable.

My gen 5 34 shoots to point of aim out of the box. Not enough rounds thru it to comment on reliability long term, but no complaints so far. I like the straight grip without grooves.

Since all your glocks are gen 4, you will need to realize that many parts wont interchange between gen 4 and 5.

Reactions: Biggie1976
I still shoot gen 3s....

They all need new sights anyways unless only a range gun (then why on God's green earth buy a Glock???)

Reactions: Darkside-Six
The only real differences are the slide is a little different, the mags won’t work in any other Gen4 or lower glocks, grip is a little thicker and the biggest difference is the stock trigger, they say it’s 8% lighter on the gen 5. Every glock I own has the zev trigger in it so it doesn’t make that much difference to me. Personally I’d stick with gen 4’s based on how many mags I already own for various guns

Go Gen 4, because I don't think the Gen 5 mags fit Gen 1-4 guns. And there's more aftermarket parts available for Gen 3 and 4, at least at this point.

I used to have a Gen 4 G34, and I now have a Gen 5 G17 with a minus connector and extended mag release, and there's no noticeable differences to me. I never really noticed the finger grooves or lack thereof.

I’ve had at least one of every Gen and they are gone. Gen 5 I can actually shoot, and shoot well. I plan to get more 5’s and I’m pretty hard core “anti” glock.

75905137-49c1-4540-89d9-d81318ecf165_text.gif

I've got Gen 3, 4 & 5. I use them interchangeably with no noticeable difference. Mags work in all guns. Gen 5 has slide release on both sides.
Function wise, no difference in my hands. To be fair, by Gen 5 is a MOS and it's my only pistol with a dot, so maybe that's why I don't notice anything.
I think the mag thing is for the 19X and maybe the 45, but not 17s and 19s, but I'm not 100% on that

I’m pretty sure the Gen 5 mags are compatible with the lower gens. Lower Gen mags compatible with Gen 5 with the mag release set up for right hand shooters

That's my understanding as well (at least with 9mm Tupperware; I no longer own Glocks chambered in any other cartridge).

Aside from the aforementioned issue for those that have swapped the magazine release from correct-handed to wrong-handed, the only other compatibility issue that immediately comes to mind is Gen 5 mags in the 19X (the baseplate interferes with the lip at the front of the magwell).

PXL_20211209_151540848.jpg

Last edited:
Question for guys that have both gen 4 and 5 what’s the difference you like or don’t? All mine are gen 4s, I’m looking at buying a 34 and wondering which route to go.
I will never have a Gen 5 Glock. I own several BUT the gen 5 has a Marksman barrel. It originally was called a Marking barrel. Gen 5's can have ballistics traced to a certain barrel. 4 and earlier tell you it was shot from a Glock, not which one. If you ever were in a gun fight there is no way of telling which Glock the bullet came from. And guaranteed even if you shot a bank robber/killer you would be sued by someone.

I’ve got a Gen 4 and a Gen 5 19.
I prefer the Gen 5.
Mostly due to shooting lefty, I like the ambi slide release.
I also prefer the grip and the trigger on the Gen 5.

I will never have a Gen 5 Glock. I own several BUT the gen 5 has a Marksman barrel. It originally was called a Marking barrel. Gen 5's can have ballistics traced to a certain barrel. 4 and earlier tell you it was shot from a Glock, not which one. If you ever were in a gun fight there is no way of telling which Glock the bullet came from.
EL OH EL

More tinfoil hat stupidity

Forensic examiners can match a bullet fired from any gun if they have that gun in hand. Doesn't matter the kind of rifling the barrel has.

And guaranteed even if you shot a bank robber/killer you would be sued by someone.

Even more LOL

Is there anything you don’t like about the gen4?
If so see if that feature is changed on the gen 5.
They still have the stupid plastic sights.

One thing to note about the gen 5 34, it does not have the top forward slide cutout like the gen 4

Reactions: BKSSNIPER
I hear the gen 5s are smoother and absorb recoil better due to the springs and new slide design. Honestly i don’t know but I can tell you they are hard to come by it just happen that my local gun store had a gen 5 arrive today. Most people don’t like the finger grooves on the 4s but I do. I may grab this one it is Christmas and feeling the need

I hear the gen 5s are smoother and absorb recoil better due to the springs and new slide design. Honestly i don’t know but I can tell you they are hard to come by it just happen that my local gun store had a gen 5 arrive today. Most people don’t like the finger grooves on the 4s but I do. I may grab this one it is Christmas and feeling the need
Hard to beat a 34. Love my 34 and 35.

34/26 and 35/27 are great combos

The best Glocks are HK vp, Sig P320, and CZ P10.

(If you absolutely must have another Glock and you're right handed, get the gen 4)

I have used both, didn’t notice a difference at all for recoil or smoothness.
Actually sold off the gen 5 to get another gen 4, only because I’m used to the finger groves.

Reactions: Hattrick
I like the mag well on gen 5 34 and no finger grooves. Also no cut out on top of slide. That cut out always freaked me out seems unnatural. I bought the first gen 5 34 MOS I saw. Been happy with it.

Reactions: BKSSNIPER
The finger grooves on the gen 3s and 4s are spaced to fit larger hands. Smaller hands don't match up to them all that well. If you are a lefty or have small hands, the gen 5 is the logical choice.

Reactions: Makinchips208
The finger grooves on the 3s and 4s never felt good in the hand for me. Always felt like they got in the way and didn’t allow for proper hand placement on the grip. The 5 feels more natural in my hands and without the grooves hand placement is perfect. The stock trigger in the 3s also left a lot to be desired even with the 25c trigger job. The triggers on the 5s need no modification in my opinion.

Reactions: LM56
I will never have a Gen 5 Glock. I own several BUT the gen 5 has a Marksman barrel. It originally was called a Marking barrel. Gen 5's can have ballistics traced to a certain barrel. 4 and earlier tell you it was shot from a Glock, not which one. If you ever were in a gun fight there is no way of telling which Glock the bullet came from. And guaranteed even if you shot a bank robber/killer you would be sued by someone.
I heard they stamp every single one with its own number! You should file that shit off too!!! That way when you chuck it in the river they can never prove you shot those bank robbers.

Last edited:
I heard they stamp every single one with its own numbe! You should file that shit off too!!! That way when you chuck it in the river they can never prove you shot those bank robbers.
If you hold them sideways they shoot better and you look cool.

Reactions: DeadAss
The finger grooves on the gen 3s and 4s are spaced to fit larger hands. Smaller hands don't match up to them all that well. If you are a lefty or have small hands, the gen 5 is the logical choice.

I have a medium-sized hand, wear a size 8 glove, and the grooves on my Gen 3 Glocks fit perfectly. I never end up with a finger on the bump.

I was a Gen 3 guy until I started running my Obsidian 45. The gen 3 needed a stronger spring setup that had to be swapped out running with or without can.

The Gen 4 runs either way with the factory spring, no change needed……

The 19X. It takes specific floor plates. All generation magazines fit all generation guns...except the 19X.
I don't think it's quite that straight forward- something about certain mags not working if a Left Handed shooter moves the mag release to right side of the pistol?

This bit of info (incorrect info?) at Gun Parts Corp website probably doesn't help:

"Generation 5 magazines will not interchange with any previous GLOCK generations."

I read on another forum that putting gen 4 Glock baseplates on Glock gen 5 mags allows the mags to work in any of the double stack Glocks including the 19x.

I traded my Gen 4 Model 26 for a Gen 5 because the Gen 5 trigger is better. In retrospect I should have stayed with the Gen 4. The difference is there but every thing else inside is not as good. And I like the Gen 4 grip better....

I don't think it's quite that straight forward- something about certain mags not working if a Left Handed shooter moves the mag release to right side of the pistol?

No, it is that straight forward. Gen 5 mags fit all previous generations. Gen5 small frame Glocks have Gen4 magazine catches. Gen4 magazines fit in Gen1/2/3 small frames. Gen1/2/3 magazines fit in Gen4/5 in the right hand configuration only. The 19X is the only exception and it is just the floor plate.

This bit of info (incorrect info?) at Gun Parts Corp website probably doesn't help:

"Generation 5 magazines will not interchange with any previous GLOCK generations."

So here's what they say and now I'm curious because I was thinking only of the mag latch notches

GENERATION 5 MAGAZINES​

These magazines are notched on both sides for the reversible magazine release and include an orange follower, raised feed lip, and a floor plate that is slightly extended and curved in the front.

Generation 5 magazines will not interchange with any previous GLOCK generations.

Here's a picture of what is advertised by the seller as a Gen 5 magazine in what appears to be a Gen 4 pistol. The floorplate is certainly different than G3n 4 and earlier but all the differences are on the side away from the gun, where it doesn't matter.
7295910_04_new_glock_gen5_magazines__640.jpg

Here are some pics of the magazine differences from gunmagwarehouse.com.

Side view, again showing the curved surfaces are on the side that doesn't touch the gun, so they don't matter
Gen-5-Glock-baseplate.jpg

From the bottom, showing differences in the shape of the corners, again a place that doesn't contact the gun's frame in any way
Gen-4-Gen-5-Glock-Magazine-baseplate-comparison.jpg

Feed lips, other than the color of the follower no difference that I can see
Gen-5-Glock-colored-follower.jpg

Here's the Glock Store's page for the 19X magazine: https://www.glockstore.com/Glock-19X-Magazine

Notice this:
These magazines will also fit in your standard, “plain black Glock,” G17 or G34, as well as most other full, compact, and sub-compact 9mm Glocks. Because of that, they are also very popular simply because of their unique color. The 17 round magazine will fit flush with the G17/G34, but they will stick out a bit from the bottom of a G19, and a bit more in a G26.

The 19-round magazine has a factory +2 extension, and it will protrude a bit from all models.

Last edited:
So here's what they say and now I'm curious because I was thinking only of the mag latch notches

<SIGH> Are you going to take the word of someone that starts by saying he dislikes the platform being discussed? Come on, this thread is full of nonsense.

Reactions: JAS-SH
<SIGH> Are you going to take the word of someone that starts by saying he dislikes the platform being discussed? Come on, this thread is full of nonsense.

I figured I'd just curb stomp the ignorant comments

Here's a picture of what is advertised by the seller as a Gen 5 magazine in what appears to be a Gen 4 pistol. The floorplate is certainly different than G3n 4 and earlier but all the differences are on the side away from the gun, where it doesn't matter.
7295910_04_new_glock_gen5_magazines__640.jpg

Here are some pics of the magazine differences from gunmagwarehouse.com.

Side view, again showing the curved surfaces are on the side that doesn't touch the gun, so they don't matter
Gen-5-Glock-baseplate.jpg

From the bottom, showing differences in the shape of the corners, again a place that doesn't contact the gun's frame in any way
Gen-4-Gen-5-Glock-Magazine-baseplate-comparison.jpg

Feed lips, other than the color of the follower no difference that I can see
Gen-5-Glock-colored-follower.jpg

Here's the Glock Store's page for the 19X magazine: https://www.glockstore.com/Glock-19X-Magazine

Notice this:

Good work putting that together.