• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Glow in the Dark DOPE Cards

jojima

Private
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
So occasionally we gotta shoot in the dark or low light and I really don't like turning on a bright flashlight to double check my book or my DOPE card. I got some glow in the dark 2" wide tape on Amazon to make Glow in the Dark DOPE cards. I printed the gridlines on Avery CLEAR 2"x4" shipping labels and applied them on top of the glow in the dark tape. I added a layer of thick cardstock and then trimmed them.

The blank cards with gridlines are 2"x4" and have 3 columns and 19 rows. You can write on them directly with ball point pen/sharpie for permanent, or they take dry erase for easily erased data. I also used excel to create some printed dope cards. I was able to get the font smaller and fit more lines to include range, drop, and wind hold.

I'm probably gonna back a few with adhesive velcro to attach my my rifles. however, they also fit in the Sidewinder dope card holders and wrist dope card holders.

After being in ambient light for about 2 hours, the glow lasts about 30 minutes. You can also 'charge' the glow with a flashlight and it'll glow another 15 mins-30mins.

Anyway, if you have any questions, let me know. I hope this little project is helpful.

### GIF of Flashlight Charging ###

EX0PmFF.jpg

QjtKSav.jpg

Photo Dec 23, 18 33 26.jpgPhoto Dec 25, 12 24 25.jpgPhoto Dec 25, 12 28 11.jpg
TPoRz5o.jpg

Last edited:
This is a really good idea. Be nice to have something similar during hunts where a dope card can be set up before daylight.

Reactions: jphil108
Good idea on the scope cap card -- I'll have to trim some of these to fit the caps.

If you write directly on the printable label, there's no smudging after the ink dries. Works with both sharpie-type permanent and standard ball point pen. It just takes a few minutes to dry.

If you laminate the finished label, ink pens will smudge if you write on it. However, dry erase pens work great for temporary marks.

Reactions: DeftSystems
One of the things I picked up from a member here but on a different forum is these little UV lights. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NOFMJKW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
They are small and will put some good charge on a glow paint/tape, without a lot of visible light spill, if that is a concern. Also very cheap.

I got some military glow tape, backed it on hard plastic, and now have a panel of it cut to match my dope book and my little rite in the rain notebook. When well charged and your eyes are adjusted to low light, you can see well enough through a single sheet of RITR paper to write notes on them with a GITD backer.

Thanks to @shoobe01 for the cool GITD an UV tricks.

Reactions: shoobe01
Yup. I buy those UV keychain lights by the bag. Give them away to classes, and to a few to people deploying, who put them to good use lighting the cateyes for the whole squad before stepoff. They reach a ways for lighting GITD tape.

They clang. I always sew a little piece of tubular webbing around them so they have a non-purple, soft coating. Also, keeps the light forward so it doesn't spill out the sides. Then, punch a hole, lanyard the light itself down.

I can photo this if it makes no sense.