• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Glue or epoxy for Neoprene?

Nocalphoenix

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2008
Montana
Hey guys need to figure out what glue to use on neoprene. Im building a wood stock for a .22 trainer and was just going to use a 1/4 piece of neoprene for a buttstock, more for traction on the shoulder than anything else. I tried hardware store devcon clear as well as some 3m spray adhesive but neither one has held. I roughed up the stock as well as the neoprene with no luck so far.

Re: Glue or epoxy for Neoprene?

I would try wetsuit glue.

Which of the two parts is not sticking--the stock or the neoprene?

(In other words when it comes off is the glue stuck to the stock or to the neoprene?)

For just a trial, a couple of dabs of super-glue gell.
(works better with a closed cell foam.)
If done right, should really suck to remove.

3M 5200 is a slow cure. Up to a week dry time. Or the fast cure 4200 (I think this is the #). When they dry it is a flexable neoprene. I use the 5200 to build wood boats and it is the best there is. I have used it to fix waders for hunting and is way better than any shoe goo. Can usually find it in small tubes at Walmart in the boating section in sporting goods.

Thanks guys I will give some of that stuff a try. If it helps everything adheres fine to the wood, just cant get a bond on the neoprene. I roughed it up bastard file and it shows tears but it just peels away.

19Scout77 is the wet suit glue something that is easy to find or would I have to find a dive shop? Any brand to look for so I can call around?

The 3M will stick to the neoprene. My waders are made out of it. We also use it to glue plastic blocks to fiberglass and alum. boats so we do not have to drill holes into them. The 5200 works the best but takes at least a week to dry.

Dive shop would prob be your best bet. I'd recommend going into one with a piece of neoprene and a piece of would and see if they'll give you a squirt to test before you buy it.

Ive heard good things about something called miracle glue, but it is pretty darned expensive.

with the 3M; poke some holes with a thumbtack in the neoprene, strech it and spray the 3M. Unstretch and let it tack... wait for it. Light coat and let tack the same on the wood contact side. Once tacky, apply another coat and mate under light compression with tape.

Gorilla Glue is real good at bonding wood, fabrics, and synthetic plastics. Way better at boot sole repair vs shoe glue. Another option. It expands on cure so final finish will be more of a concern.

Try the glue used to put Formica counter tops on. You apply a coat to each surface and wait until it starts to get tacky and then put them together. Word of warning; Get it where you want it the first time because there ain't going to be a second shot at it. There are different makers of the stuff but they all seem to work well. You can pick it up at any hardware store for a reasonable price.

David

Gorilla works better for rigid materials.

A trick we Model airplane builders would do was to use regular slow drying glue to bond balsa blocks together, but leave spots bare of the glue, and just before laying up the parts, we would apply some superglue/cyanoacrylate glue to the bare spots, then carefully align/combine the parts. The superglue would hold the parts together like a crutch while the slow cure glue set up and cured.

I think that for neoprene and other flexibles, substituting slicone sealer/glue for the slow cure glue might be a good solution.

Greg

Thanks guys, found some glue in a crafts store that will hold the neoprene, will let you know how it goes.

Aquaseal is what's used for wetsuits/drysuits for diving.... in case whatever you've found still isn't working.