• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GLX 2.5-10 vs Credo 2-10 vs PST Gen II vs PLXc 1-8 vs Razor Gen III 1-10 ?

Jazz30-06

Private
Minuteman
Sep 24, 2020
Hey all,

I am looking to put new glass on my rifle. 16" Wylde Criterion barrel, generally decent parts. Intended to be as much of a do-all as possible including NV use once nods are in the cards. The plan there is a piggyback red dot for passive aiming or quick transitions to up close if needed on any of this glass. I've been watching C_DOES as he seems to do the best reviews in terms of showing what things actually look like and does a very good job otherwise. He seems to really not like the Gen III, seemingly rightfully so based on the poor eyebox and performance at 10x. PLXc is lower mag, but seems pretty clear and is LIGHT. GLX and Credo seem close as well as the PST Gen II. Anyway, I'm looking for the best performance per dollar and as light as reasonably possible. My environment is out in the mountains out west, so the higher mag glass is appealing for sure. Hoping someone here has some experience to compare these and has an opinion that I can chat with.

• What is the platform for the scope? AR-15
  • What cartridge are you shooting? 5.56
  • What is your intended use for the scope? GPR/SPR
  • What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? All conditions when paired with a dot
  • What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? Up to 600yds would be ideal
  • Are there any specific specifications you would like? FFP, a good reticle for quick corrections and general longer-range adjustments without having to dial, decent 1-2.5x for shorter shots when it might not be ideal to make with the piggy-backed dot.
  • What is the price range you can afford? $500-$2000

Thanks

Last edited:
My GPR wears a glx 2.5-10 with an offset dot. I have it set up in such a way that the dot is my primary for offhand shooting. If you can get a dot to work like that, that would be my suggestion. what works for you with dot placement will depend on your head shape and other factors. I, for example, could not make a piggybacked dot work for me as a primary means of aiming.

If you cannot get a dot to work in that way then an LPVO would make more sense. My take is that a dot is superior to any scope on 1x, can be left on all the time, and im gonna have it there for passive aiming anyway, so i dont care too much about 1x on the scope for a GPR.

Reactions: Jazz30-06
I just purchased a MK12 from Centurion Arms. My initial optic choice, after a lot of research, was the Credo 2-10X36 mrad. So far I am happy with it. Glass is very good (but admittedly I do not have a Schmidt & Bender to compare it to), eyebox is excellent, and I am definitely a FFP fan. Biggest drawback for some may be that the reticle is not daylight bright at 2X. For me that is of no consequence. Mine is mounted in a Geissele mount. If $ were no object I might have bought something else, but for a street price in the $940-995 range it is hard to beat.

Everytime I look though a rg3 I expect to like it at least a little and always end up hating it. I cannot get those to play nice with my eyes.

Reactions: themightytimmah
My GPR wears a glx 2.5-10 with an offset dot. I have it set up in such a way that the dot is my primary for offhand shooting. If you can get a dot to work like that, that would be my suggestion. what works for you with dot placement will depend on your head shape and other factors. I, for example, could not make a piggybacked dot work for me as a primary means of aiming.

If you cannot get a dot to work in that way then an LPVO would make more sense. My take is that a dot is superior to any scope on 1x, can be left on all the time, and im gonna have it there for passive aiming anyway, so i dont care too much about 1x on the scope for a GPR.
I have a 1st gen Strike Eagle 1-6 on it right now and just don't really care for the weirdness at 1x and would enjoy having better glass above that. This whole thing really kicked off because I am wanting to start building up a setup for NV ever so slowly and a dot for the rifle seems like a decent place to start since it is also quite useful without NV. GLX seems like a great setup and really isn't THAT much heavier than the PLXc that I was looking at before... then the rabbit hole started, haha.

I just purchased a MK12 from Centurion Arms. My initial optic choice, after a lot of research, was the Credo 2-10X36 mrad. So far I am happy with it. Glass is very good (but admittedly I do not have a Schmidt & Bender to compare it to), eyebox is excellent, and I am definitely a FFP fan. Biggest drawback for some may be that the reticle is not daylight bright at 2X. For me that is of no consequence. Mine is mounted in a Geissele mount. If $ were no object I might have bought something else, but for a street price in the $940-995 range it is hard to beat.
Daylight bright isn't real relevant to me with a dot attached to it. I am curious as to what made you specifically choose the Credo. No parallax adjustment seems less than ideal and there are no ranging features in the reticle like the GLX has. (I know, I can learn how to just use mil spacing to sort it out, but I really like the idea of not HAVING to think about it)

Everytime I look though a rg3 I expect to like it at least a little and always end up hating it. I cannot get those to play nice with my eyes.
Yeah... the only reason I am still considering it is because of one of the vendors on here having a sale on them and there seem to be so many people that RAVE about them online. The video that C_DOES posted makes me not real enthusiastic about it though.

Yeah... the only reason I am still considering it is because of one of the vendors on here having a sale on them and there seem to be so many people that RAVE about them online. The video that C_DOES posted makes me not real enthusiastic about it though.
Exact same situation here dude.
I feel like I need to buy one just because they're so deeply discounted.

I'm sitting around trying to find guns to put one on, haha

Exact same situation here dude.
I feel like I need to buy one just because they're so deeply discounted.

I'm sitting around trying to find guns to put one on, haha
That has certainly crossed my mind. I only have one rifle that it'd make sense to put it on right now though and I feel like I'd be miles ahead with an MPVO and a dot in the mountains out here than I would be with G3. The discount makes me wanna buy one just to try it out and flip if I don't like it though...

For me, the Vortex Razor 1-6x is the best all around LPVO for an AR, and the Razor 1-10x is the best I've used for an SPR type AR. I have a Vortex Gen 2 Viper 1-6x on a back-up gun, it seems great for the money, but I haven't used it much.

For me, the Vortex Razor 1-6x is the best all around LPVO for an AR, and the Razor 1-10x is the best I've used for an SPR type AR. I have a Vortex Gen 2 Viper 1-6x on a back-up gun, it seems great for the money, but I haven't used it much.
Have you used a 2-10ish with a dot?

Of those, Credo 2-10x36. Good turrets, zero stop, best reticle of the batch offered.

The OG PLx isn’t light nor is a Spuhr but the new one on lighter rings could be. I use this for hogs w/ a Super Yoter C in a blind or tripod. Trijicon RMR.
IMG_4051.jpeg

Credo reticle is a little thick in my opinion when at 10x looking at targets at distance. The lack of parallax adjustment is a killer. If you aren’t trying to shoot super tight groups and want more of a “Combat engagement SPR” type optic then it does the job.

That I have spent time behind, no. If you want 10X on the top end, I wouldn’t go with an LPVO, personally.
Have you used the rest? I haven't been able to get behind any of the listed optics, which is why I am trying to find people that have. What I want on the top end is as clear of an image as I can manage for the price point at somewhere around the 8-12 range and a usable reticle.

Credo reticle is a little thick in my opinion when at 10x looking at targets at distance. The lack of parallax adjustment is a killer. If you aren’t trying to shoot super tight groups and want more of a “Combat engagement SPR” type optic then it does the job.
That's really what I am looking for, yes. It's still a 16" 5.56 at the end of the day. I'm not trying to shoot bullseye comps at 1,000 yards. I am certainly a bit concerned about the lack of parallax adjustment because I feel like that is part of my problem with my Strike Eagle where the image gets muddy at higher mag ranges.

Reactions: Quintus
I have a Nightforce 2.5-10x 32mm mildot on an AR, I like it, but for me the Vortex 1-10 Razor is much better up close on an AR.

I've never used an offset red dot combined with a magnified scope.
I can certainly see how a 1x is nicer up close than a 2.5x.
I've... never used an offset dot either. Kind of in my own world out here without many people to work with and share experience and equipment with, so relying on the forums is basically all I have.

Reactions: matt33
Right, I wasn't looking at the OG PLX, only the new "c" variant. Is the one you pictured the original? It looks different.
Definitely the OG and heavy for what it is but built like a tank and daylight bright.
The newer is certainly more what you’re looking for probably.
What I like best is frankly, the Griffin w/ horseshoe on true 1x is faster than the RMR for me. I think muscle memory maybe but it’s fast.

Definitely the OG and heavy for what it is but built like a tank and daylight bright.
The newer is certainly more what you’re looking for probably.
What I like best is frankly, the Griffin w/ horseshoe on true 1x is faster than the RMR for me. I think muscle memory maybe but it’s fast.
Out of the two, yeah, I would be looking for the new one. Good to know that you really like yours though.
My understanding that a 1x of any sort in a more default shooting position is generally going to be faster than any sort of offset dot. I'm not really going for all-out speed with this package though. Trying to cover as many bases as I reasonably can out to, idk 6-700 yards? It'd be great to have good enough glass to at least observe further than that though.

Well there may be better choices at that yardage but the Griffin tree allows it to shine at 0-500 easily for sure. Beyond that parallax may be important. Good luck with your choice.

That's really what I am looking for, yes. It's still a 16" 5.56 at the end of the day. I'm not trying to shoot bullseye comps at 1,000 yards. I am certainly a bit concerned about the lack of parallax adjustment because I feel like that is part of my problem with my Strike Eagle where the image gets muddy at higher mag ranges.

Credo image doesn’t really get muddy at distance. I’ve only taken a Credo 2-10 out to 630yds. The parallax issue in my opinion is more about gettting behind the gun in the exact same place every time so your reticle position isn’t different on the target.

Not FFP but what you want is a NXS 2.5-10x42. Excellent glass, eyebox, turrets, clarity and has parallax.

Reactions: Bakwa and jumrobe
Credo seems to be what you are asking for on paper.

The leupold mk5/6 3-18 could work for you too depending on reticule choice. It's not prohibitively large or heavy for an AR15.

Mine has an older 3-9 leupold tactical that isn't made anymore and occasionally an offset red dot type thingy.

Credo image doesn’t really get muddy at distance. I’ve only taken a Credo 2-10 out to 630yds. The parallax issue in my opinion is more about gettting behind the gun in the exact same place every time so your reticle position isn’t different on the target.

Not FFP but what you want is a NXS 2.5-10x42. Excellent glass, eyebox, turrets, clarity and has parallax.
Sounds like a need to go re-up my understanding of parallax adjustment and what it does.

I was looking at the NXS at one point. But, the combo of price, SFP, and reticle turned me off of it. I could deal with one, MAYBE two of those not being what I want, but three just feels like a bridge too far.

Sounds like a need to go re-up my understanding of parallax adjustment and what it does.

I was looking at the NXS at one point. But, the combo of price, SFP, and reticle turned me off of it. I could deal with one, MAYBE two of those not being what I want, but three just feels like a bridge too far.
I hear ya. I wouldn’t want SFP on more than 10 power scope but at that magnification level it just works. Mil-R reticle is nice and thin. I love it.

Last edited:
Reactions: BenW and PappyM3
Credo seems to be what you are asking for on paper.

The leupold mk5/6 3-18 could work for you too depending on reticule choice. It's not prohibitively large or heavy for an AR15.

Mine has an older 3-9 leupold tactical that isn't made anymore and occasionally an offset red dot type thingy.
So, I'm genuinely curious what sets the Creo apart from, say, the GLX in your mind. Specs-wise, the GLX seems to be better. I know it's Japan vs the Philippines for the manufacture location, but what else is there? The GLX has the locking turret, larger objective lens for an increase in light, parallax adjustment, etc. I'm genuinely trying to understand where people are coming from, so please don't take this as me being stuck on one over the other.

The Mk5 was certainly something I was looking at, but that seems to be a better fit for when I finally get around to putting together the Grendal that I've been wanting for years...

I hear ya. I wouldn’t want SFP on more than 10 per scope but at that magnification level it just works. Mil-R reticle is nice and then. I love it.
So, this is going to sound silly, but I don't know that I get to shoot often enough to be particularly comfortable without some sort of pyramid reticle to reference when making on-the-fly adjustments. I think I can see the rationale behind not needing FFP at 10x or less. I would just really have to be cognizant of the mag range when using the reticle, of course.

I’ve got a SWFA SS 2.5-10 ultralight finally on the way after about 4 months on back order. Hoping to test out this weekend for a similar role you’re describing. Can let you know how it works with an offset RMR. Not expecting glass to be spectacular but hoping it’s good enough for shots with my 11.5 out to 600.

I’ve got a SWFA SS 2.5-10 ultralight finally on the way after about 4 months on back order. Hoping to test out this weekend for a similar role you’re describing. Can let you know how it works with an offset RMR. Not expecting glass to be spectacular but hoping it’s good enough for shots with my 11.5 out to 600.
How do you plan to shoot to 600 with that scope? I thought it came with a 1940s era duplex reticle and turrets that aren't really meant to be dialed? Is there an option with a workable reticle? Did I miss something? Would be a kinda cool scope with even a mil-dot.

EDIT: I didn't see it listed on their website but Googled it and found a pic of the BDC reticle. Looks very usable.

Last edited:
1. That seekins above with magnifying + red dot + offset irons: dude, leave some pussy for the rest of us...

2. I am a big SWFA fan; however, the 2.5-10 is a "get what you pay for" scenario, if you got it on sale. I got one years ago and it sits in a bin now because any light shining into the optic and it goes complete white-out. In certain situations, it works fine; but for anything in the real world (not on a range), no chance in hell that is going on my gun.

3. If you can get the Razer 1-10 for $2k, from that list, that'd be my choice almost every time - for the stated gun and purposes.

C_Does also has a pretty negative review on the credo 2-10 fwiw. Also take scope reviews with a grain of salt since optics are so personal. The razor 1-10 is alot better than alot of its haters give it credit for. The 1x and 10x are still very respectable, they just aren't as good as other premium optics out there but there's not many other optics that give 1-10 magnification.

I'd really narrow down what you're doing with the scope. If you don't need a 1x and intend for all your close range work to be done with the piggyback, then go for the 2-10's. I personally strongly prefer a 1x scope over a piggyback red dot but I know others seem to not have issues with the piggyback. And for 600 yards on torso sized targets it's pretty easy even with a 1-6, but if you're trying to shoot or identify smaller targets then obviously more magnification and an adj parallax is going to be very useful. Alot of people are going to have differing opinions on the goldilocks amount of magnification depending on the type of shooting you're doing and where you live.

Last edited:
Throw a bit more cash into that pot and just get the March 1.5-15, it is absolute titties! Isn't as fast as a red dot, but is plenty fast for any application not CQB.

Nightforce 2-10 is a great optic not on your list.

Hey all,

I am looking to put new glass on my rifle. 16" Wylde Criterion barrel, generally decent parts. Intended to be as much of a do-all as possible including NV use once nods are in the cards. The plan there is a piggyback red dot for passive aiming or quick transitions to up close if needed on any of this glass. I've been watching C_DOES as he seems to do the best reviews in terms of showing what things actually look like and does a very good job otherwise. He seems to really not like the Gen III, seemingly rightfully so based on the poor eyebox and performance at 10x. PLXc is lower mag, but seems pretty clear and is LIGHT. GLX and Credo seem close as well as the PST Gen II. Anyway, I'm looking for the best performance per dollar and as light as reasonably possible. My environment is out in the mountains out west, so the higher mag glass is appealing for sure. Hoping someone here has some experience to compare these and has an opinion that I can chat with.

• What is the platform for the scope? AR-15
  • What cartridge are you shooting? 5.56
  • What is your intended use for the scope? GPR/SPR
  • What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? All conditions when paired with a dot
  • What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? Up to 600yds would be ideal
  • Are there any specific specifications you would like? FFP, a good reticle for quick corrections and general longer-range adjustments without having to dial, decent 1-2.5x for shorter shots when it might not be ideal to make with the piggy-backed dot.
  • What is the price range you can afford? $500-$2000

Thanks

Razor Gen III 1-10​

This every time. It is a great scope and built like a tank.

I have two PLxC 1-8x24 scopes and two Razor Gen3 1-10x24 scopes. For your use, one of these would be my choice depending on how much money you want to spend.

On C-Does review of the 1-10x: he either neglected to adjust the eyepiece to match the camera or intentionally screwed up the eyepiece to make it look like shit. It is pretty easy to do. It is possible that he got a bad one, but I have two of them and have had a chance to look at a few dozen Gen3 scopes side-by-side. It is fashionable to crap all over Vortex to get views. Gen3 scopes are fairly consistent, but with all LPVOs you do have to set up the eyepiece correctly for your eye or for the camera. That is usually not the same eyepiece setting.
Now, I have seen people whose eyes do not agree with the diffractive reticle. For them PLxC is a better choice.

GLx 2.5-10x44 is a very respectable scope and if you do not need 1x and want to save some money, it is a good option, as is the credo. Credo reticle is not ideal for 2x, but it is serviceable on higher mags.

It is a little heavier, but SwampFox Warhawk 2.5-10x44 with Recce Mil reticle is worth a look as well. It is surprisingly decent and if you are using reticle only, the turrets lock.

ILya

He posted a second video, he sent the lackluster one back and they replaced it.

the only thing i have to add is this…

i have a couple leupolds: vx6hd 1-6x on a 16” and a vx5hd 2-10x on an 18”

for a walk around carbine i think i prefer the 1-6 because of the 1x. with a 50yd zero i can shoot to 250 easy on 1x and still get to 400 zoomed in. thats about my max range for these weapons.

on the 2-10 i use xs big dot offset for up close. they work inside of 50 yds well enough.

Daylight bright isn't real relevant to me with a dot attached to it. I am curious as to what made you specifically choose the Credo. No parallax adjustment seems less than ideal and there are no ranging features in the reticle like the GLX has. (I know, I can learn how to just use mil spacing to sort it out, but I really like the idea of not HAVING to think about it)
In my research it seemed that the majority view was that parallax was not a big issue in the 2-10 magnification range. I own other Trijicon scopes and I have been impressed with their quality considering the price range they are in. Price, build quality, weight were all factors I considered. I thought about the NF NXS 2.5-10, but like you I wanted a FFP scope. The Leupold Mk5HD 2-10 was another consideration but it was twice the price and required a new set of rings (35mm). I am happy with the glass and the scope in general. I am sure there are better scopes out there, but as I said before, for the money it is hard to beat.

I am curious how this goes!

1. That seekins above with magnifying + red dot + offset irons: dude, leave some pussy for the rest of us...

2. I am a big SWFA fan; however, the 2.5-10 is a "get what you pay for" scenario, if you got it on sale. I got one years ago and it sits in a bin now because any light shining into the optic and it goes complete white-out. In certain situations, it works fine; but for anything in the real world (not on a range), no chance in hell that is going on my gun.

3. If you can get the Razer 1-10 for $2k, from that list, that'd be my choice almost every time - for the stated gun and purposes.

2. Good to know. I'm curious if smcfarland has the same issue or if yours was maybe a bit of a dud?
C_Does also has a pretty negative review on the credo 2-10 fwiw. Also take scope reviews with a grain of salt since optics are so personal. The razor 1-10 is alot better than alot of its haters give it credit for. The 1x and 10x are still very respectable, they just aren't as good as other premium optics out there but there's not many other optics that give 1-10 magnification.

I'd really narrow down what you're doing with the scope. If you don't need a 1x and intend for all your close range work to be done with the piggyback, then go for the 2-10's. I personally strongly prefer a 1x scope over a piggyback red dot but I know others seem to not have issues with the piggyback. And for 600 yards on torso sized targets it's pretty easy even with a 1-6, but if you're trying to shoot or identify smaller targets then obviously more magnification and an adj parallax is going to be very useful. Alot of people are going to have differing opinions on the goldilocks amount of magnification depending on the type of shooting you're doing and where you live.

I've watched both of his reviews on the Credo. He seemed much happier with the second one than the first one that he sent back. I just wish I had somewhere to go that had all of these for me to compare them myself, but I just don't live in an area that is particularly conducive to large ranges of stock on stuff.

I've never used a piggyback, so this is all a bit of an experiment tbh. Just trying to bump my odds to get a setup I like. One definitive advantage that all 2-10s are going to have is the larger objective lens doing a better job at gathering light to allow for use in darker conditions. The importance of parallax is a bit of an unknown for me as I've only ever owned one other scope with the adjustment being available.
As far as longer distance stuff, I really just want to have good enough glass to be able to know what I am shooting at out at 600 yds. I know you can make accurate enough shots at that distance with far lower magnification.

This video was a pretty interesting one:
In it, it looks like the GLX and the GEN3 are actually rather close in glass, but the brighter image on the GLX make it potentially more useful for information gathering at distance.
Throw a bit more cash into that pot and just get the March 1.5-15, it is absolute titties! Isn't as fast as a red dot, but is plenty fast for any application not CQB.

Nightforce 2-10 is a great optic not on your list.

Oh man, I wish that one of those March scopes was only a "little more". I like them a lot, but they just aren't in the cards based on cost.

NF NXS 2-10 is SFP and the NX8s are just too heavy.

I have two PLxC 1-8x24 scopes and two Razor Gen3 1-10x24 scopes. For your use, one of these would be my choice depending on how much money you want to spend.

On C-Does review of the 1-10x: he either neglected to adjust the eyepiece to match the camera or intentionally screwed up the eyepiece to make it look like shit. It is pretty easy to do. It is possible that he got a bad one, but I have two of them and have had a chance to look at a few dozen Gen3 scopes side-by-side. It is fashionable to crap all over Vortex to get views. Gen3 scopes are fairly consistent, but with all LPVOs you do have to set up the eyepiece correctly for your eye or for the camera. That is usually not the same eyepiece setting.
Now, I have seen people whose eyes do not agree with the diffractive reticle. For them PLxC is a better choice.

GLx 2.5-10x44 is a very respectable scope and if you do not need 1x and want to save some money, it is a good option, as is the credo. Credo reticle is not ideal for 2x, but it is serviceable on higher mags.

It is a little heavier, but SwampFox Warhawk 2.5-10x44 with Recce Mil reticle is worth a look as well. It is surprisingly decent and if you are using reticle only, the turrets lock.

ILya
Have you ever done a direct comparison between the PLxC and the GEN3? I checked your YT and didn't see one. I need to watch the individual videos though. Could you summarize your opinion between the two though? I know the PLxC is 20%-ish lighter and has the ACSS reticle which seems nice for use without lume. Idk how long the GEN3 lume lasts, but IIRC, it doesn't have the battery-saving auto on/off like the PLxC does either... LOTS of thoughts.

Sorry, can you please explain the highlighted part? I'll watch your video on reticle illumination at some point, but a TLDR would be greatly appreciated.
Right, the reticle, parallax adjustment, turrets, and price are what set the GLx apart from the Credo for me. I certainly like the idea of Trijicon over a GLx, but, ultimately, 🤷‍♂️.

I appreciate the recommendation for the Warhawk, but it's pretty heavy, like you said. I would also like to keep out of china-made optics if I can help it. (Holosun is kind of the exception because I just can't stomach Trijicon dots for what they ACTUALLY bring to the table in comparison).
He posted a second video, he sent the lackluster one back and they replaced it.

Yep, and he seemed to like the replacement quite a lot better.

And here is a very positive review of the Credo 2-10X36: watch

Yep, I watched the B&H reviews for the Credo and the GLx. They were really the only reason I was still considering the Credo at this point. I can certainly appreciate the counterpoint to adjustable parallax being that the Credo is faster to engage, but you can also just leave the GLx in whatever setting is near the average expected range. I know he ran into issues with the locking elevation turret, but I am looking at the SCRS rather than a full-sized dot.

the only thing i have to add is this…

i have a couple leupolds: vx6hd 1-6x on a 16” and a vx5hd 2-10x on an 18”

for a walk around carbine i think i prefer the 1-6 because of the 1x. with a 50yd zero i can shoot to 250 easy on 1x and still get to 400 zoomed in. thats about my max range for these weapons.

on the 2-10 i use xs big dot offset for up close. they work inside of 50 yds well enough.

Any chance you've been able to use a piggyback to compare to the scope's 1X?

In my research it seemed that the majority view was that parallax was not a big issue in the 2-10 magnification range. I own other Trijicon scopes and I have been impressed with their quality considering the price range they are in. Price, build quality, weight were all factors I considered. I thought about the NF NXS 2.5-10, but like you I wanted a FFP scope. The Leupold Mk5HD 2-10 was another consideration but it was twice the price and required a new set of rings (35mm). I am happy with the glass and the scope in general. I am sure there are better scopes out there, but as I said before, for the money it is hard to beat.

Sorry, are you running the Credo? You pretty much hit the nail on the head for the NXS and Mk5 for me, besides the reticle on the Mk5 not being a favorite of mine.