• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GM Backtracks on Joe Biden’s Green Energy Agenda After Investing Billions

PatMiles

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2017

After investing billions to adhere to President Joe Biden’s green energy agenda, General Motors (GM) is backtracking on all fronts when it comes to Electric Vehicles (EVs).

As GM was the last of the Big Three to strike a tentative agreement with the United Auto Workers (UAW), the automaker’s green energy dreams — championed by the Biden administration — have come crumbling down.

GM CEO Mary Barra, a close ally of Biden’s, has said the automaker will not begin to attempt to produce 400,000 EVs from 2022 through mid-2024 as initially planned. GM is also delaying retooling its plant in Orion Township, Michigan, to build EV pickup trucks.

Days ago, GM had to begin offering owners of its Chevy Bolt about $1,400 to install a diagnostic program to determine if the vehicle’s EV battery is defective. The move came after GM had to recall all of its Chevy Bolts due to the EV battery issues and a class action settlement over the battery problems is anticipated in the near future.

In addition, GM executives are having to delay launching a number of their EV models such as the Chevrolet Equinox EV, the Chevrolet Silverado EV RST, and the GMC Sierra EV Denali.

Those launch delays have coincided with GM and Honda ending their billion-dollar joint venture to produce affordable EVs for Americans as well as markets in South America and China.

The end of that joint venture comes as demand for EVs among Americans has plummeted with the all-electric cars staying on dealership lots for an average of 65 days — way up from last year’s average of about 21 days.

“The American public is not ready for the broad adoption of electric vehicles. There are maybe 10 percent to 12 percent of people who really want an electric vehicle … the remainder still want internal combustion,” former GM executive Bob Lutz said this week.

Aside from potential customers, auto workers at GM have largely been turned off EVs and Biden’s green energy agenda that seeks to foist them on the American public. As part of its deal with GM, the UAW made sure to bring the automaker’s EV plants into its tentative contract so that workers will score higher wages than currently.

GM executives had hoped to keep auto workers at its EV plants out of such contracts. Also significant is the deal’s strike provision which gives GM’s employees the right to strike whenever the automaker closes one of its plants.

While GM stumbles, China is ready to flood the U.S. market with cheap EVs.

Breitbart News Senior Editor-at-Large Rebecca Mansour has long warned that without major investment in domestic manufacturing and auto workers, steep tariffs, and time for American automakers to adjust, China will dominate the EV industry.

“A Biden-led administration’s rapid push towards an all-electric future would rob U.S. auto workers of the advantage of experience and U.S. auto plants of the advantage of previously built manufacturing capacity,” Mansour wrote in October 2020. “… rushed and without tariffs, most of this will likely end up in China — just like all the rest of American manufacturing thanks to decades of failed trade policies like Joe Biden’s.”

China already has a major advantage over the U.S. in that it controls much of the EV lithium-ion battery supply chain including minerals such as nickel, graphite, lithium, and cobalt.

NOT HER MONEY! FOOLISH INVESTORS MONEY!

Hahaha!

The battery technology still sucks. No where the energy density, toxic.... And expensive.

I thought Ford has suspended there EV production also. Seems like Tesla is still the only "viable" producer.

A82B5991-E137-439C-8D29-1CF6F540FD5A.jpeg

Hahaha!

The battery technology still sucks. No where the energy density, toxic.... And expensive.

I thought Ford has suspended there EV production also. Seems like Tesla is still the only "viable" producer.

The battery technology is OK - not really sustainable, but adequate for the task of most commuters. What's totally missing is the trillions of dollars in infrastructure that would be required to build out the fast-charging network for widespread adaptation.

There's also the problem that overnight home charging is a poor match to "renewable" generation; not much sun at 3AM.

Tesla's advantage is quite simple; their cars are not (over)built to the same standards as established manufacturers and they don't have parasitic dealers skimming half the total profits for the privilege of treating customers like dirt.

I'm shocked at how fast the narrative is collapsing when we just started putting $10k+ of taxpayer money on the hood. I thought that this story would drag out much longer, but apparently the auto execs are indeed smart enough to see that they're in the process of making 11-figure mistakes. Gotta play a bit more carefully with money when it's not getting pumped into the economy at 0% via loose Fed policy.

EV is not the future, it's just not! I love battery driven tools, and they have come a long way, but for transportation.....nope! Not until you can easily pull your battery out, slip the spare in and carry on. A hybrid approach is about the best we can see from EV.

Panasonic is building a $5 billion dollar plant about an hour from me. I think it is a huge mistake! They are going to sink themselves. I think about the time they hit full production, is going to be about the time the EV will taper off.

Maybe they develop some new awesome battery that carries the car 600 miles, but until then......notta gonna happen!

I always think about the typical combustion car. Upper middle class and some middle class exchange their combustion engine vehicles every 2-5 years. Some even more often. The next bracket down from upper middle class and middle class pick up those vehicles with 60-100K miles on them. They then use them from 60-200K miles. Then they get rid of them, and the people that scrape by in life pick them up until they are junk. Which middle class person is going to pick up an EV vehicle with 60-100K miles on it? Nobody wants the pain of funding new batteries., on top of all the other things that start to fade with a vehicles that age. (Brakes, struts, shocks, tires, etc) Fuck that!

I think there is going to be a huge fleet of used Teslas soon! Sorry, but I don't want your used ass Dewalt cordless drill, because I'm soon going to have to fund the battery that cost more then the value of the drill.

I just chaulk this up to more stupid policies/ideas during our societal decline.

Reactions: 1911hombre
The battery technology is OK - not really sustainable, but adequate for the task of most commuters. What's totally missing is the trillions of dollars in infrastructure that would be required to build out the fast-charging network for widespread adaptation.

There's also the problem that overnight home charging is a poor match to "renewable" generation; not much sun at 3AM.

Tesla's advantage is quite simple; their cars are not (over)built to the same standards as established manufacturers and they don't have parasitic dealers skimming half the total profits for the privilege of treating customers like dirt.

I'm shocked at how fast the narrative is collapsing when we just started putting $10k+ of taxpayer money on the hood. I thought that this story would drag out much longer, but apparently the auto execs are indeed smart enough to see that they're in the process of making 11-figure mistakes. Gotta play a bit more carefully with money when it's not getting pumped into the economy at 0% via loose Fed policy.

"Fast charging" is also a lie.

Tell you what I don't care if it is powered by gas, batteries or unicorn farts, if it will go 300 miles before needing to be refilled, a total refill takes under 10minutes, and it will not just burst into flames because it feels like it I am all in. Batteries will NEVER EVER have this. Because it is a battery. It needs to be charged.

The electric vehicle push is so you can push people into the 15min cities and they can be controlled.

Unions ruin everything they touch.

But they support the democrats that want to eliminate their jobs.

Dumbest thing I've ever seen.

Oh, and Tesla doesn't have 40% of every car sold funding union pensions.

Reactions: Pbgt
SK Blue Oval, a partnership between Ford and South Korea are building a battery plant less than 10 miles from my house. The plan was to build two plants on the site, each employing 2500 people and to be online in 2025 for the first and 2026 for the second plant. The $5.8 billion price tag is heavily subsidized by our tax dollars.

Last month Ford announced a delay on the second plant citing lack of market demand.

What's totally missing is the trillions of dollars in infrastructure that would be required to build out the fast-charging network for widespread adaptation.

Tesla's advantage is quite simple; they don't have parasitic dealers skimming half the total profits for the privilege of treating customers like dirt.

These are the two, IMO, main factors that will keep EV's at bay for a while longer. The USG doesnt want to approve anything besides wind and solar power generating... and they are to arrogant to admit that the shit dont work to the level it needs to. I'm not saying wind and solar dont work, they do produce electricity, its just not the quantity we need to actually make a difference... the saying "a fart in the wind" comes to mind. We need to build 100 next gen nuke plants around the country and really get the MW flowing, but the politicians cant get out of their own way on wind and solar and admit that its a failure and we need to look elsewhere.

Also you arent wrong that the legacy dealer model is completely fucked. We recently looked at Tesla Model 3, Camry and Accord... Tesla "dealer" experience was fantastic. "here's the car for 30 minutes, have fun" and then when we got back the guy answered all my dad's questions. Toyota "we have an 8995 market adjustment on these cars" "no thanks have a nice day"... And Honda was ok, but the car was completely un-inspiring. My dad bought a Tesla. He has a 50 mile each way drive to work 16-18 days a month. Time will tell if that is a good decision or not, but so far he is really liking it. For "basic" transportation its a better experience than Camry or Accord which felt like generic brown cardboard after being in a Tesla.

EV is not the future, it's just not! I love battery driven tools, and they have come a long way, but for transportation.....nope! Not until you can easily pull your battery out, slip the spare in and carry on. A hybrid approach is about the best we can see from EV.

Maybe they develop some new awesome battery that carries the car 600 miles, but until then......notta gonna happen!

I always think about the typical combustion car. Upper middle class and some middle class exchange their combustion engine vehicles every 2-5 years. Some even more often. The next bracket down from upper middle class and middle class pick up those vehicles with 60-100K miles on them. They then use them from 60-200K miles. Then they get rid of them, and the people that scrape by in life pick them up until they are junk. Which middle class person is going to pick up an EV vehicle with 60-100K miles on it? Nobody wants the pain of funding new batteries., on top of all the other things that start to fade with a vehicles that age. (Brakes, struts, shocks, tires, etc) Fuck that!

I think there is going to be a huge fleet of used Teslas soon! Sorry, but I don't want your used ass Dewalt cordless drill, because I'm soon going to have to fund the battery that cost more then the value of the drill.

Hybrid isnt necessarily the answer either. Its marginally better than ICE on the highway. Most Hybrids, think Prius here, would get equally good fuel mileage on the highway as a pure gasser as they do as a hybrid because the hybrid system is largely not applicable on the highway. I have had a Prius and avg. about 53-55mpg... Have a BMW 330E plug in now and am getting about 50mpg but I have to work at it a bit more since it doesnt really run to well as a hybrid since once your battery is depleted(it uses this first) it doesnt recharge it except for regen braking. The prius will run the motor to recharge the battery. Put a 150hp gas motor in a Tesla and I bet it gets 50+ mpg on highway due to aerodynamics.

EV could be the future but our .gov wont allow any new power generation beyond wind and solar. Read my above on that.

There is some battery tech that should get close to 600miles out of something in a Tesla Model 3/S size, but I dont think its ready for prime time yet. There is also some charging tech in development that can truly fast charge at like 600amp. Right now you might pull 200-250a from a Tesla supercharger. Somebody is developing a liquid cooled setup for charging at like 600a. It would connect to the battery cooling system also and keep the cable and battery cool during charging. Right now we are cable limited due to heat... I mean yea could probably run like 0000 wiring and be able to push 300+ amp, but nobody could actually move that cable around to plug it in.

Niece’s husband is number two at their power company. He once explained what it would take to power one average size truck stop if all tractors were EV. I don’t even recall the numbers but it was mind blowing. I’m certain few EV owners have a clue.

The Chinese are planning on building a battery plant in my township here in Michigan.

There are a lot of people here that are against it, and it's not set in stone yet that it will be built, as far as I know.

With all the shit I'm seeing online about this EV craze crumbling, I'm hopeful the plant can be stopped. There is still a lot of controversy surrounding the township board and the governor being in Gotions pocket.

Last edited:
Niece’s husband is number two at their power company. He once explained what it would take to power one average size truck stop if all tractors were EV. I don’t even recall the numbers but it was mind blowing. I’m certain few EV owners have a clue.

Doing a fast-charge on a Tesla semi ends up being in the neighborhood of 1 MW draw from the grid, so stuffing a Flying J full of those chargers is going to take some serious generation and distribution. Then go look at what it takes to keep a regional grocery distribution center running; 250 trucks getting charged around the clock could easily draw more than 10 MW from the grid. Multiply that across the country and the math just doesn't look so hot.

I am a proponent of EV for local delivery and some vocational trucks. There's a reason that Amazon is running those Rivian vans, and the argument for something like a school bus or a garbage truck is a no-brainer. Long haul is about the dumbest possible thing to do with an EV.

Reactions: LeftyJason