• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Go/No Go Headspace Gauges - which brands to get or avoid?

pell1203

Stay Focused!
Minuteman
  • Dec 27, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    Looking to swap out a factory barrel on an RPR with a PVA prefit and am looking to pick up some headspace go/no go gauges. I’ve come across Manson Precision, Clymer, Forster, and PTG brands so far. I am planning to stick with one manufacturer when purchasing and was wondering if there is any significant differences depending on who makes them.

They seem to range from about $29 to $60+ per gauge. Is one brand preferred over others?

Will it matter which one I get as long as I stick with one manufacturer?

Thanks in advance.

Looking to swap out a factory barrel on an RPR with a PVA prefit and am looking to pick up some headspace go/no go gauges. I’ve come across Manson Precision, Clymer, Forster, and PTG brands so far. I am planning to stick with one manufacturer when purchasing and was wondering if there is any significant differences depending on who makes them.

They seem to range from about $29 to $60+ per gauge. Is one brand preferred over others?

Will it matter which one I get as long as I stick with one manufacturer?

Thanks in advance.

Gages are made to a specific number with very close tolerances. You should be able to mix and match between manufactures.

All SAAMI headspace specs have .010" slop in chamber tolerances. Depending on what a HS gauge maker is machining their parts to a "Go" gauge could be Min chamber tolerance, Max chamber tolerance or anything in between. If you do get a set of Go/No Go gauges, I'd purchase both gauges from the same maker. If you're trying to save a dollar, you can get a "Go" gauge and use a piece of tape/shim behind it to make it a "No Go" gauge. For example: https://i.postimg.cc/mkf2WhxL/headspace.jpg

Personally, when I had access to an optical comparator I made my own HS gauges, but recently I've used Manson. Seem to work fine but I generally don't shoot factory ammunition so I set a reloading die to work with a particular rifle regardless of the HS dimension.

All SAAMI headspace specs have .010" slop in chamber tolerances. Depending on what a HS gauge maker is machining their parts to a "Go" gauge could be Min chamber tolerance, Max chamber tolerance or anything in between. If you do get a set of Go/No Go gauges, I'd purchase both gauges from the same maker. If you're trying to save a dollar, you can get a "Go" gauge and use a piece of tape/shim behind it to make it a "No Go" gauge. For example: https://i.postimg.cc/mkf2WhxL/headspace.jpg

Personally, when I had access to an optical comparator I made my own HS gauges, but recently I've used Manson. Seem to work fine but I generally don't shoot factory ammunition so I set a reloading die to work with a particular rifle regardless of the HS dimension.

Slop now there's a technical term. You are wrong. Most calibers have a tolerance of .010" between the go, min length/depth, and the field gage, max length/depth, which is +.010" over the go gage. These dimensions are very precise and used industry wide. Example 308 WIn go gage is 1.6300" and the field is 1.6400"
    That means the length/depth is spec'd to a few ten thousands . The go would be +.0005" -.0000" The field would be +0000" -.0005"
    Most of my gages are from Manson also

Depending on your time line you may have to settle for a different brand. It seems a lot of shops aren't carrying the supply they once carried in stock so you will have to wait several weeks sometimes. It seems the economy has put an end to the day of walking into most stores and being able to walk out with your parts.