• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GO REMINGTON! M24E AWARD!

boottrac

Private
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2005
Fairfield
Congragulations to REMINGTON!

Remington’s M24E program approved by the U.S. Army.
Written by Tom Beckstrand. Author Archive »

After 20-plus years of active duty service, the M-24 gets is needed update.

THE CONTRACT’S SCOPE AND PURPOSE

Want to read our review on the Remington M24E? Click here!

Want even more? Click here to read about when we first got our hands on one.

The U.S. Army recently announced the award of the M-24E contract to Remington Arms Company. The award of this contract allows for the upgrade of 3,600 Sniper Weapons.

Remington has produced almost 15,000 M24s since the birth of the Army’s program in the late 80’s and the rifle has remained largely unchanged since its inception. The M24E1 program will take this venerable sniping icon and rebarrel it in .300 Winchester Magnum, include a side-folding modular chassis, detachable box magazine, first focal plane scope and suppressor. The process is allowed to take 5 years and has a potential value of $28.2 million.

WHY NOW?

The need for the M24E1 was first identified by in 2006 by 10th Mountain Division soldiers serving in Afghanistan. Once the military identified the need, Senator Charles Schumer and Representative Michael Arcuri led the effort in Congress to ensure that the program received crucial funding in 09 and 10.

Trials for award of the contract began with an open competition in January of this year and lasted nine months. With Remington winning the award, the upgrading process will now begin in earnest.

M24E1 SPECIFICATIONS

Remington’s new M24E has a modular chassis known as the RACS (Remington Arms Chassis System) with a buttstock that folds to the right, encapsulating the bolt handle and proving useful in military operations that require a smaller profile (like getting into and out of a vehicle) while also creating a “slick” side on the left side of weapon. The chassis features an adjustable length of pull, adjustable comb and is set up to accommodate a number of night vision and IR devices with cable routing guides to minimize the clutter of wires that can be an issue with electro-optics and pressure pads, and removable modular rail pieces that can be used when needed and taken off when not required..

The Remington M24E features a 5 –rd detachable box magazine to facilitate quick reloads. The M24E rifles also have a 24-inch barrel and feature a 1:10 twist rate. The barrels will be hammer forged from 416R stainless and have 5R rifling. The M24E has Leupold’s bold new 34mm tubed 6.5-20×50 scope. Attached to the end of the barrel is Advanced Armament Corporation’s titanium suppressor. The suppressor features inconel baffles and a titanium body. AAC was recently purchased by Remington to ensure functional parity between the two systems.

“We are honored to be providing US soldiers with the M24E1 solution – an evolutionary leap in precision engagement capability and survivability.” Noted Jason Schauble, Vice President of Remington’s Defense Division, “Remington has made significant investments in manufacturing modernization, end-user driven research and development, and complementary technologies to provide a wide range of reliable, durable and maintainable small arms solutions, and the M24E1 award is a significant achievement for our company and its proud US workforce.”

Re: GO REMINGTON! M24E AWARD!

I wondered why they were rebuilding current rifles instead of buying new ones. I ran that idea past a friend of mine and he suggested something that sounds plausible to me.

The M110 is suppose to be the Army and Marines new official sniper rifle. It was most likely easier to get money to upgrade the current inventory then to try and authorize to buy new rifles that are not the current official one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Postal0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wondered why they were rebuilding current rifles instead of buying new ones. I ran that idea past a friend of mine and he suggested something that sounds plausible to me.

The M110 is suppose to be the Army and Marines new official sniper rifle. <span style="color: #FF0000">It was most likely easier to get money to upgrade the current inventory then to try and authorize to buy new rifles that are not the current official one.</span> </div></div>

I'm quite certain that's the answer. Bureaucratically it's a lot easier to alter something you already have than buy something new.

What happened to Savage getting the contract? They are the cheapest, bestest and mostest accurate rifle right out of the box.
confused.gif

Savage probably lost out because as mentioned in a prior posting, it is easier to upgrade what you already have, than to buy new ones. Although I must agree that the new products from Savage are extraordinary value for dollar rifles.

The M24 was orginaly spec'd and purchased with the ability to convert it to 300 win mag(Hence the LA 308) in the future.It's now the future they are just following the original plan.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unknown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Savage probably lost out because as mentioned in a prior posting, it is easier to upgrade what you already have, than to buy new ones. Although I must agree that the new products from Savage are extraordinary value for dollar rifles. </div></div>

Disagree, They lost out because the army never does anything different. Who is USO? Knightforce? S&B? Im uncle sam and im retarded. Ive only heard of Leupold. They are the best right?

Oh and the only rifles ive ever heard of are colt and Remington, cuz im a moron.

hahaha

Bottom line is the army just doesnt care about getting the right equipment, they just care about getting equipment. The sniper instructors who are involved on the T&E's for these systems offer superb insight into what is needed for the battlefield; often times "better" alternatives that are same or more cost effective, but the army doesnt listen to them. They give contracts to whoever is sucking them off. *cough*KAC *cough* remington *cough* colt

need i say more? Anyone in the know, knows this is what goes on. I have seen it first hand. Its idiotic bureaucratic retardation at its best.

While 11B-B4 hit it right on the head for many contracts, this is not one of them. The PSR program is a completely different competitive contract than this one. The effort to upgrade the M24 to 300 WM has been in the works for a long time (This is that contract). The PSR contract is still ongoing and will be decided later. You guys are getting two distinctly separate programs mixed up.

Josh

MinorDamage,

Correct you are indeed. 300WM in lieu of .308 in the worx for awhile. Looking fwd to the WinMag upgrade.