• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Go Savage then Evolve

maol

Private
Minuteman
Jun 24, 2011
First off, I am not a true Fan Boy and ended up choosing a Savage BA Stealth Evolution in 6.5 Creedmoor by default. You begin by weighing the possibilities, your intentions, and then assess $ pain threshold. Exactly what I did, and a 6.5 C BA Stealth Evolution was the result, a choice made for a few reasons other than just dollars. The accurate floating/easy to swap bolt-head, and the easy barrel swap both come in handy to add 6.5 PRC capability (in the near future, it’s still to new). With the Creedmoor bolt head, going to a 308 is just a barrel swap.

Savage generally makes it easy to have one platform and several calibers or purposes for it. $200-300 gets you a light weight 308 shorty for the 168s or heavies for hunting. A little more dinero gets you a 6.5 PRC for some ELR fun on a budget; or maybe a screaming fast laser varmint smoker of whatever flavor you like. Yes you still need tools, but a Savage is some easy ‘no smith’ barrel switching, well after the first time anyways. To me the Savage/Drake/MDT Evolution is really the start of a modular BA rifle system. Besides the Savage BA SE giving an upgrade path and modularity, you’re in the PRS game for peanuts.

Why start with 6.5 Creedmoor? Mostly just wanted to try it out, and hey it’s a Savage, if it wasn’t all that, then a factory ‘take off’ 308 is a phone call away. Or maybe try a 6mm or 22 Creedmoor.

I know the BA SE is not the best deal. In 6.5 C both the RPR and basic BA were cheaper, but it is still a pretty good deal. Now why pick the Stealth Evolution over the GRS, or the Ashbury? Even though they aren’t chassis couldn’t they work as a modular rifle system too? Maybe, both are tempting in their own right. They can't be made to fold though, and I always intended this platform to fold eventually.

Without a custom budget, factory or semi custom rifles are the only ticket to the PRS game. Though the MDT/Drake chassis with its removable NV Bridge is right up there, it was the Evolution’s receiver that was at the very top of the plus side of the Pro/Con list for factory choices to use as a semi-custom. Savages generally have relatively accurate receivers/bolts from the factory, but the Evolution's is built more like Savage’s target receiver. For all I know it may even be one just ported for AICS magazines to make it a repeater.

What are the Cons? To be real clear, I am very happy with ours. Or more accurately, I am very happy now...
Though I am 6'1" and 210 lb.s apparently my head is too small, because even with only a 44 mm scope and medium rings I was practically using a jaw weld with the Magpul PRS topped out. I tried adding a 5/8” pad and still couldn’t quite make it work. To be completely honest it was a foreseen problem, because the LR scope picked to be first at bat was going to be a Sightron 10x50x60. Also the grip was uncomfortable for me due to an injury. The accu-trigger seemed to continually degrade once it was adjusted to ‘light enough’. So it seemed that soon ‘not to happy’ turned into very frustrated, and definitely unhappy. Clearly the Evolution needed to evolve…

The Evolution Solution:
  • Lost the Night Vision Bridge. Next, dumped the Evolution's native MDT/Drake rail. Then installed a set of (Medium) Hardcore/Extreme's Force Recon Tactical Rings mounted on their True Level 20 MOA pic rail. That allowed the Sightron to wear medium rings and clear the barrel.
  • Swapped the PRS stock for MDT's Skeleton Rifle Stock in the short version to allow the addition of their folding adapter and still keep the LOP range correct. The stock with folder is real game changer, and there is little I would change at all if I could, and it was worth every penny and it fits great in any shooting position.
  • Swapped the grip out for the more vertical Royal Arms and it is GTG for my hand/wrist.
  • Never a real fan of the Accu-Trigger conceptually; I had heard so many good reports I held out hope it would be great. In truth it wasn't really very bad, until the pull weight was light enough. Then it would randomly disengage from the sear, and it occurred ever more often. That finally got me so frustrated that I swapped it out for a Rifle Basix SAV-2. Also a super good choice BTW.
Now the rifle pretty quickly fits the whole family, (we are all kind of tall folks) in any shooting position, and the accuracy? From the bench, using Magpul's Bi-pod (screws right to the chassis) and without a rear bag, I have gone from .75 - 1.25" 3 shot groups to .75 - .25" and my average group now is less than .5" A good session averages closer to .3 than.4. using Hornady 140gr American Gunner factory tailor-mades. Someday I will break down, roll my own and see if I can do any better than Hornady does.

So how did it turn out?
See for yourself. Because work has been so crazy, the last day I got to shoot it was a few weeks ago, and though I only shot 3 groups with it (it was the 4th, lots to do, and lots to shoot), and the time before that was back on Memorial Day, I think I still did alright. I pulled or pushed one in each of the first two groups. It seems the rifle is grouping very well everybody is ‘lights out’ with it now. So the next time out I'll zero it at 34 yards to get a 5 inch kill zone MPBR (+-2.5”) with Hornady’s 143 grain Precision Hunter. Max height (2.5”) should be around 130+ yards with a far zero of 225. At 270 yards it will still only be 3 inches low, and very easy to dope in my head to 600 yards.

Sav BA SE at work.jpg
Savage BA SE 0002.jpg

Savage BA SE 100yd.jpg

Bottom Line?

When we finally buy a 338 Lapua, I am pretty sure we'll be looking for a good deal on a Savage BA Stealth Evolution to use for the magnum cases, and then I will probably "evolve" it much the same way; then add a 300 PRC swap barrel, and maybe something in 358 or 375 or…

Last edited:
I started the precision/long distance thing with a savage model 11.

It served me well and I put about 25#-30# of powder worth of reloads through it.

Below is a few pics on the evolution of it.

Now I’m running a ARC Nucleus and loving it but I’ll always have a soft spot for savage rifles.

I started out on savages. Loved them, and still do. I mainly started with a savage 12 fv (22-250) and 10 FCP-SR (308). Replaced the 12 fv stock and started trying for precision hand loading. After first sub .1 grouping I was sold on savages and sold all my non-savage rifles and started buying all savages. I have been doing a lot of builds off of these new "affordable" custom actions lately, and sold off a lot of savages to fund them but still have a bunch of them that I can bring myself to sell.

In regards to the 338, the 112 target magnum was my 3rd and final incarnation (2 previous were 110 BAs that friends offered me much more than I had into them, they shot really good with my handloads). The 112 target magnum was bought when it was on sale plus had a rebate, think I ended up with only like $650 - $700 into it. Before I started working up loads for it I decided to sell the factory barrel (think i got 250 for it, so $400 for decenct stock and a long action precision target action :) ) upgrade it to a bartlien barrel and bought a 338 lapua ai reamer for my smith to use. I haven't had enough time to work out a good load for it but I already love it. Considering doing a 338 (something) on a custom action, but doubt I will ever sell the 112 target magnum.

Anywho, good write up.

It was a nice read. I started off with brownings, rifles, shotguns and pistol. I got my first Savage in the 1990's and it was nice, but it wasn't a mind blowing experience. After that I got a Remington, and more Brownings. I had my brother urge me to give Savage another try, and I am glad I did. I sold my Remington and browning rifles and aside from a single Tikka 8mm Mauser, Kimber 280ai and a Bighorn custom 6.5 PRC, every rifle I own is a Savage and it is a LOT. I am NOW a fanboy of Savage. The accuracy is really unbelievable, and once I corrected my trigger pull, the accutrigger is my favorite factory trigger.
For accuracy my Big Horn 6.5 PRC and a Shilen Barreled Savage 7mm Mauser are both 1/8 MOA, a stock Savage 11 300 wsm hunting rifle shoots 1/4 moa (3 shot), a bone stock 12 FV in 22-250 is 1/3 MOA, a 6.5 Creedmoor LRP is always under 1/2 and sometimes way under, my 300 WSM Bear Hunter is under 5/8 and every other savage hunting rifle I have is under 1 MOA. My Tikka 8mm Mauser and Kimber 280 AI are both around 1 to 1 1/4 MOA and my Savage Axis' are both around 1 1/4 MOA.
When I realized that for the price I was paying and for the accuracy out of the box, I was done with Browning. I still like the Tikka and I like the weight of the Kimber, so they will always be around... but I am a Savage Fan Boy.

If it does everything you need and you are happy with it that's all that matters.
I've got a 110FP in 300WM that still surprises me how well it shoots several brands of 180 grain factory loads and 243 that started as a youth light weight hunting rifle but then I dumped way more money into it than I'll ever recoup with a manners T4 stock and a heavy fast twist barrel.

Reactions: Greg Langelius *
My Savages have been documented here many, many times. Primarily .223, .260, and 308, with 7.62x39 and an Axis II 30-06 on the side (back; very back) burner.

I've had some of the "usual" Savage issues, and they were all fixable. I don't like to sell rifles, and even in direst situations, the Savages have not been on that short list.

Saying I'm quite happy with my Savages is an accurate statement. My only real complaint is not being able to get out and shoot them more. My later interest in AR's has figured prominently in this.

Greg

Reactions: sobrbiker883
Started out with Savages way back in '99, building my first .20 Tactical and .17 Mach IV rifles. At the time it was the only real viable option for someone that didn't have a lathe if they wanted to rebarrel rifles on their own.

That being said, they are just that, great starter guns, and if not competing, usually very dependable field guns (if you can tolerate an occasional malfunction).

Honestly though, in this day and age, there are just so many better options (and it hurts to say that, since like many others, my Savages have a lot of sentimental value). :(

Reactions: Greg Langelius *
First off, thanks to everybody for commenting, I appreciate it. I have wanted to post something about our Savage Evolution ever since I got the new trigger bought and installed. Not just because groups started to shrink and mine were really coming around, but because of what was made very clear to me, that this rifle is definitely more accurate than I am currently.

From the comments, I take it that Steel head (like many folks have) took advantage of Savages being an easy rifle to upgrade. His nicely done M-11 seems to have hooked him on accurate rifles, but like Marine PMI he eventually moved on to dally, nay embrace; quality built wunderkind, with tighter, smoother (higher dollar) receivers.

They both seemed to think of Savages as more of a good place to start; but they at least still seem to have (like XLR308 and Greg) real soft spots for a Savage in their hearts. They’re just not like Wan2ride; who is clearly an ‘out of the closet’ self-admitted Fan Boy, and I’m kind of thinking Ben is almost there with him.

Seriously though, how could you not be impressed? With the accuracy that is possible with them on top of the multi-caliber/multi-purpose capability coupled with the adaptability/versatility that a chassis system gives you. It's a value that I find very hard to turn away from even if it is just a ‘factory’ rifle. You hear it over and again, some Savages are as accurate as a full custom, and that some off the shelf Savages have accuracy that even some 'Trued' Semis will never achieve.

With the Savage Company being sold, and the sale finally finalized; maybe they can get back to building on their expertise, tradition and innovation to evolve their BA again. If Savage can do that for me, I may yet wear my War Bonnet out in public. In truth, this particular ‘Evolved’ Semi-Custom already has me trying to find the closet door and I haven’t even properly zeroed it yet.

No matter what we choose going forward, I am pretty sure it will be part of a system. If I am going to be spending money for quality and accuracy, my thinking is that rifle should be as versatile as possible. If only because I can more easily afford to own and upgrade a higher end rifle (factory or custom) if it can be multi-tasked and mostly worked on/maintained without a Smith. It should keep me from spending bucks for special purpose rifles and then wasting time putting up with their multitude of low-end-factory-rifle issues instead of shooting something that allows me to work on my skills and enjoy the experience instead of trying to work around different rifles' various imperfections or problems.

If I was a serious competitor I probably would have a different point of view and some how find the dollars for a true custom; but I only compete with myself at this point and like Greg, my biggest issue is not getting to shoot enough. Like Greg, I too suffer from AR distraction as well, in fact the Evolution's PRS stock went on a AR build where it works great btw.

The need to be able to afford (in some measure) my firearm interests makes choosing to invest in modular systems logical. It’s a chief attraction of ARs for me too. Just like with ARs, one really high quality receiver set and trigger can have a few different stocks, barrels and bolts for different uses. Different types of hunting, target, competition, self-defense and varmint smoking, all using one quality upgraded receiver set and a few pieces of good glass.

Accuracy costs, and so too does variety. To possess both at the levels that I want in a bolt gun has caused me to embrace modularity. While our next new rifle might not be a Savage, I can safely say that it will have a barrel nut, and before long at least a couple of more barrels; but quite honestly the odds are pretty good that it will have a War Bonnet on the box.

…That is if the new owners don’t PC out and dump the logo.

Last edited:
I'm a Savage Whore. Started in the Precision Rifle deal last Summer and bought a Savage 10 FCP SR in 6.5 CM and shot it and started tweaking. Every change I made added a little tighter group at 100 and I have never experienced any problems or failures. Presently concentrating on hand loading to find my perfect load but the gun is done until I need a new barrel and then I'll re barrel it in a 26" barrel and keep on shooting.

Just putting a new computer in service so I don't have the evolution pix. I'll add them later.

But the current rig wears a MDT LSS-XL Gen2 chassis with a XLR Extreme Butt Stock, an Atlas Bipod, MDT polymer magazine, Vortex rings holding an Athlon Argos BTR 10-40X 56 scope, and an Ergo Sure Grip and Area 419 Hellfire Brake. Shooting sub .5 MOA out to 600ish and maintaining sub MOA out to 1000. I have no problem with the old Savage actions and will buy another if they survive being sold and hacked.

I'll be running a Savage in 338 Lapua eventually if they survive being sold.

VooDoo

Reactions: maol
I found the Savage evolution to be a lot of fun and very addictive.

I secured a standard used model 11 in 22-250 and then ordered a few bits and bobs.

Was a very accurate wee rifle as stock but really good after a new stock, bedding and a few other bits and bobs.
2D0A5611-BB62-453E-B713-68EBE9F2B47A.png

Reactions: maol
Let me put it this way. The Savage is the Honda Civic of the tuner's world. They're cheap, can be modified to deliver performance well beyond what they were initially designed, and bring a lot of satisfaction to those that work on them or own them.

Now, that being said, a Civic is never going to hold a candle to Austin Martin, M Series BMW or AMG variant Mercedes. In some metrics it may actually have similar performance, but when looking at the whole package, it's not even close. Actually, it's even embarrassing to even try to compare them. The fit, finish and function will always be rough on a Savage compared to an AI, or custom action. Feeding, extraction, bolt lift, etc. will always be rougher on a Savage. Will the Savage function? Sure. Most of the time. Maybe even 99% of the time.

But, if you compete, even at just a local level, eventually you'll want to "upgrade" to something a bit more refined, and a bit more reliable.

Now before the Savage fan boys get their panties in a wad, let me be clear. Savages can be very good starter rifles (especially with a quality barrel). But let's not try and (yet again) have the debate that somehow tries to compare a Civic to a Maserati.

At some point, a lighter bolt lift, more positive extraction, smoother feeding and such become a requirement, and Savages don't always do well in those departments.

The thing everyone needs to understand is this: If you want to mod your Savage, have at it. Just remember that, like mod'ing a Civic, it will always be a Civic and will never resale for anywhere close to the time and parts you've put into it.

If mod'ing makes you happy, and you're not concerned about ever recouping any of the investment into the Savage, go have a blast and knock yourself out. You can learn a lot about rifle mechanics by tinkering. But you need to understand and accept that the investment you will make will never be truly recouped. And that may be fine with many. <shrug> Different people, different choices and priorities. 'Merica...

Last edited:
What got me wanting to post a thread in the first place was that once I had ‘Evolved’ the rifle, I saw that it was plainly now good enough to make one ragged hole at 100 yards, but I wasn’t. The current accuracy is flat impressive, and I was all excited that I could take advantage of it and upgrade my skills.

However, to be super clear, I agree with the basic premise that 'Factory’ or ‘Production Guns' in general; and more to the specific point, even Savages are not the equal of a 'Tuned and Tight' full custom and as such will not hold their value in the same way. As I said before if I was competing I would find a way to go with a full custom precision rifle, though doing it might require the liquidation of what's in the safe. To acquire, tune, maintain, and feed a custom built dedicated competition rifle ain’t cheap. So just to be sure my views on this aspect of the discussion are definite; in my assessment there isn’t a factory rifle made that is the equal of a master’s shop created full bore custom, period.

The general point I was trying to make is folks in the Non-Comp world that most of US live in, a Savage Evolution can fill a need some of us have. The trend I was pointing out (perhaps to self-justify this and future purchases) is one that I believe Savage should exploit. Already known as an easy rifle to swap barrels on, I think the chassis takes it up another level.

In researching, acquiring, upgrading and shooting the Evolution, the Savage’s inherent traits and those of a chassis system make for a modular system that has advantages for us who enjoy more than one aspect of the shooting sports. Whether I actually made those points well enough isn’t for me to say, but it seems there is a point that I failed to be clear enough on. Even though a Savage Evolution evolved, like a semi-custom, isn’t even close to a Master Smith built Custom. I think it is good value for lots of folks like me that are wanting a level of accuracy and versatility that is hard for us to pull the trigger on dollar-wise other ways.

What I like best about the Evolution is the Target-Like Receiver. Admittedly I thought I was going to like the trigger so that was $130 I hadn’t planned on spending, but even buying it stock and evolving it instead or building off a Big Horn Origin; which would save $500-1000 right off the bat over a more high end receiver to build a semi-custom, I think the Evolution was a better deal for me and my purposes. Let’s see what I would have gotten comparing (almost) apples to apples. Triggers and grip are a wash for comparison purposes in my/this case.

*Big Horn Origin $825.00 (Small Shank only) + Shipping

*A Savage Barrel w/nut (Small Shank only) $330.00 + Shipping

*Semi-Decent Brake $75.00 + Shipping

*MDT Chassis w/Folder Adapter $650.00 + Shipping

*Pros: Lighter bolt, marginally better cocking, Remington 700 after-market triggers

*Cons: Small Shank Barrels only, Non-floating Bolt Head– Smith Assembly required for warranty

*Total $1880.00 + 80 shipping + 200.00 Smithing = 1-2 months to start shooting and $2160.00

Vs

*Savage BA Stealth Evolution $1,140.00 + 30.00 5 day shipping to start shooting

*MDT Stock w/folder $450.00 + Shipping - $250.00 Credit for Magpul PRS = $200.00

*Xtreme Rail 90.00

Total with upgrades $1460.00

Pros: Heavier Target Receiver (similar), Large Shank Barrels, Floating Bolt head

Cons: Bolt lift is heavy, trigger choice is limited. Ejector may fail someday.

So I would have waited 1-2 Months instead of a 5 days, and paid $700.00 more for that inconvenience. If I would have liked the Accu-Trigger like many people do, it would have been $830.00 for the privilege of waiting. If I would have cut the end off of the Drake rail instead of getting a new one it would have been $920.00

To my mind that’s $700.00 (in my case) toward 2 more barrels. A 20” .308 for heavies for sure, some flavor of laser varmint slayer, or half of the way to a good 6.5 PRC.

Go with either a Big Horn, or a Savage BA S.E. – and you might have a .5 MOA rifle. One has a Large Shank, one not. One has a floating bolt head, one not. One has a better ejector, lighter bolt lift and you can also buy a $300-500 trigger for it.... One has three calibers, the other only one, and both for same price.

I opted for the stouter receiver, floating bolt head, large shank barrels with 2 extra calibers option. You can fix a broken ejector in the field by changing the bolt head if necessary (it is a Savage). Honestly I haven’t had any issues so far, but then I don’t slam the bolt closed or rip it open either, or need to. Strangely enough I have purchased parts, and built a new bolt for it hoping to get around to working on the lift one day, and I keep it in my range pack. If I ever were to have an issue I would just swap bolts and be back in the game.

Squirrel, do you like the 11 better than the Evo? Nice looking rifle btw.

daVinci, I would like to see the Evo when you get pix dugout. Sounds like it should be a shooter. Yep, saving pennies for a Sav BA S.E. in 338 Lapua already. I hope I get enough before it changes into some non-correctable P.O.S or discontinued altogether. You never know there maybe a even better alternative by the time the time the water jug is finally full of pennies lol.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed the build. The model 11 was a decent rig and for the money I spent, well worth the fun of having a “one off” so to speak.

I also had a Pred max 1 in 223 that was CRAZY accurate and bought the SSS shooting fluted bolt. Man, that smoothed it up real nice as it felt a little larger in diameter and really took the slop out.
I did have some issue with both the ‘stock” magazine feeding issues that some savage rifles suffer from. This was sorted with a careful tweak of the mag lips.
Overall, I’d do it all again for my son if Savage was more popular down under. I was only able to acquire the parts as I travelled through the USA every few months but I no longer do that.

I'm in complete agreement with MarinePMI. When I went for my Custom, my Factory .260 Savage 10FP (in 2001) became one of the four Snipers' Hide Ghost Dancer Rifles.

It was upgraded with a McMillan A3 Tactical stock which had a steel reinforced forend, and shortly after, factory Pillar Bedding. A Sharpshooter Supply Trigger and Ken Farrel 20MOA scope base completed the upgrades, which were largely supplied free or at cost by these noted suppliers as sponsorship for the Project, and the rifles came through LL from Savage at some discount, they being among the last left before the 260 was to be dropped as a chambering.

The name "Ghost Dancer" was no accident; it was chosen as an appeal to the heathen spirits to bring back the 260 to factory production by Savage. That worked in a spectacular manner. All the rifle/chambering really needed was some better visibility, and we amply provided that here, when Team Snipers' Hide went to the first Spirit of American Match and fired F Class (F Open) for the first time as an NRA sanctioned competition alongside the Palma shooters (which is another story in and of itself; we made history, of a sort...).

About a year later, I was able to acquire a pair of Savage Drop-in (probably among the first such) Barrels from Lothar Walther, #5171 Savage Varmint Contour, LW-50 Stainless, 28" Long, 1:8" twist, .260 Remington SAAMI Chambering (Every single one of my rifles are either SAAMI, Wylde, or 5.56x45 (and 6.5 Grendel proprietary) chambered). One was given to a friend, and the other went onto my Ghost Dancer. The rifle performed as well as its shooter could manage in a couple of (three?) seasons of 1000yd F Open at Bodines, PA, and as many have acknowledged here, the rifle is not the limiting factor with these guns.

Did mine win? No, but that was me, and not the rifle. I have used mine very sparingly, and it still performs as when acquired and outstandingly to this day.

I have some history here. I was among the originals when this site was formed. I sorta appointed myself as a speaker to beginners, both explaining basics (of ballistics, mechanical/physical things, and marksmanship skills), and engaging in the processes of bedding, bore lapping, handloading, and general efforts to get the absolute maximum performance out of strictly factory rifles.

Over some years, I have stepped aside from this role, mostly; because so many of the subsequent members have proven so far advanced beyond my own skills. There is no need to compete with that. Very early in this process, the clear value of the Savage rifle system to the new shooter got and still holds my attention.

The Savage Arms product line is quite broad. It serves any needs I might have, and many beyond that. I have found, probably due to my own limitations, that (except for my Ghost Dancer), I can't do any better with a custom than I can with my factory stock Savages. In that distinction; I firmly believe that I am in a vast company of shooters here and elsewhere.

I also find that due to my becoming comfortable upgrading and mildly modifying Savage rifles, I am completely at home with upgrading and building AR Rifles in their entirety. I am thoroughly unqualified to serve as an expert in that, but I derive immense pleasure working in it at my own speed and level.

I thank the Savage rifle for all of this.

Greg

Last edited:
My Savage 11 project went like this:

I bought an 11 223 to use for training, and possibly for F T/R MR-600 competition.

I added the Choate Savage 4.4" spacing Tactical Stock, adding three (3 - I am quite tall, and am most comfortable with a 16.5" LOP - Choate Stock Spacers). Also added, the Hawkeye Adjustable Tactical Cheek rest.

I have no interest in Chassis systems. The Choate stock provides a very solid aluminum bedding fixture at a very reasonable cost. I like the appearance and features available in most of the chassis systems, but I'm really doing as well as I would want to with the Choate, and my needs don't really require the many advantages such systems provide.

I also added the EGW Steel 20MOA extended base and a Clone (Uhuhu) BR height folding Bipod.

Scope is a Mueller 8-32x44 Side Parallax/Focus Target Dot scope (MilDot is also available), mounted in Vortex 30mm six screw aluminum rings, medium height (or maybe low). Currently up and riding is a Bushnell AR 223 Drop Zone BDC scope.

I then acquired another 11, 308 chambered, and did exactly the same to it, with the exception of the currently mounted Bushnell AR 308 Drop Zone BDC Scope.

Each rifle, including the Mueller optics, cost me around $900-950.

Between these two and my Ghost Dancer, my Savage rifle collection has rifles suited to all aspects of F Class; MR 600 F T/R, LR 1000 F T/R, and 1000 F Open.

The scopes provide five aiming points, one each for 100-500yd (and one for 600yd with a bit of a finagle) that align perfectly with the trajectories of my 5.56 Hornady 75gr HPBT Match handload, and the IMI 308 168gr Semi-Auto Match load. It's easily possible to get hits on steel in under one minute at 100yd, 200yd, and 300yd with either rifle.

The 223 was actually fired (as a Grand Senior) in National Comp; the 2017 Berger SW LR Nationals MR 600 stage, at Ben Avery Range AZ. But I was forced to retire due to health issues (I had my second heart attack, at age 71, two months later). The rifle did fine; I wish I had performed even half as well.

I can no longer do position shooting, but I don't mind; it's been a long life's worth of fun competing.

Greg

Last edited:
Sorry to resurrect a thread, but I just wanted to thank Greg for being here when I first showed up in the Pre-RS days. I learned much from you and others when a Savage 10FP in a Choate stock was slick.
I’ve shot trued 700’s through Surgeons, in USMC return stocks, all the McM A’s, shot for Todd when chassis’ were first coming out of their AI plastic, and for Thom when MCS got big, ran USO’s from SN3’s to the Montana move, been shooting 65CM’s for 10yrs, and my Jewell’s still haven’t broke...
Been a good ride, and guess what-I hunt way more than I shoot precision these days, mostly predators with AR’s.
Funny thing is, the boltgun I recently built for AZ deer/elk is guess what? A Savage Axis 65CM in an LSS chassis with a shimmed Timney that shoots 1/2moa out of its skinny factory sporter (all day long, if I do my part?).
I’ve been known to say, half jokingly, “I’ve had a lot of customs with fancy tubes trying to get the accuracy my first Savage had”.

Long live the old ‘hide crew, when skin was thick and if you showed your ass you got hit with an endless stream of hilariously offensive, yet poignant colloquialisms from NOBODY.
Cheers!

I’m totally on board with Savage rifles. I shoot a stock mod 12 LRP in 6.5 creedmoor,and a homemade custom mod 10 in 6 creedmoor. The 6.5 is one of the most accurate I’ve ever shot. What ever problem you have with a savage there’s a fix. Great rifle for the average shooter. Definitely makes precision shoot available to a lot more people
5297FBD9-80EA-4B36-9FA9-D6841FC8CD7B.jpeg