• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Go to vacuum packer

Alabama556

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 15, 2008
    Birmingham, AL
    My Walmart vacuum packer died. Does anybody have any suggestions for a new one? I mainly use it for left over meat and wild game. Thanks.

Reactions: 338dude
    Reactions: DIBBS
    We had a Foodsaver brand that finally died after almost 20 years of use. Got a Weston model 65-3001-W to replace it, hands down a much better unit.

Reactions: DIBBS
    I have a Cabela's pro series and it works well, nothing special but it does the job.
    My clay shooting club has a FoodSaver brand and that thing sucks, it's the most finicky thing to use. I'd pitch it if they'd let me.

Budget? We bit the bullet and ordered a chamber vacuum sealer(vp215) and love it.
    I wish we would’ve bought it 10 years ago.

Reactions: Gasgun
    My Walmart vacuum packer died. Does anybody have any suggestions for a new one? I mainly use it for left over meat and wild game. Thanks.
    Chamber vacs are the way to go. The price of entry is high compared to the foodsaver style but they do a better job and the savings on bags alone might pay for the chamber vacuum in a matter of years if you do any volume. VacMaster brand is gtg and they have some smaller more affordable sized machines as @shlouf mentioned. We bought the since discontinued VP120 4years ago and every fall we talk about how it may be the best investment we have ever made in a household appliance.

Just know, they are heavy and not something you will want to drag out of an under counter cabinet. We bought a small wheeled cart that we put ours on, we store different sized bags underneath on the shelves. This allows us to roll it out of the pantry to the kitchen or porch when we have a large job to do. We are fortunate that we have an outlet in our pantry and can just plug it in and run it there too if we have a single item needing vacc’d.

Reactions: shlouf
    Yep. We bought a small stainless cart for ours as well. The vp215 weights like 75lbs.

We calculated ours out and based of how often we seal stuff, it will pay for itself if 5-6 years just on bag savings.

Thanks guys. I am not ready to go commercial yet. I have to store this in a pantry at my farm. I just want one that will last longer than a year and can seal through moisture

Thanks guys. I am not ready to go commercial yet. I have to store this in a pantry at my farm. I just want one that will last longer than a year and can seal through moisture
    I find the biggest help with moisture is adding headspace to the bag. legit just make the bag way longer than you need

We also have a chamber vac, probably 5 - 6 yrs old. Bought from the store I linked below.
    This one says it prevents liquids from getting to the pump. As for longevity? but it should fit in a pantry. Webstaurant Store

I tried that. It works most of the time but damn you waste some bag rolls
    We use a food saver with no issues, but bloody deer parts can pose a challenge. Fold up a single ‘select a size’ paper towel in the vacuum chamber. The blood/moisture will collect in the towel before it gets to the pump and ruins the sealer. Upping the heat one setting beyond default can burn through the wet and make a good seal. Finally, consider putting the bagged meat in the freezer overnight (unsealed), then seal the bag once the meat is frozen.

We use a food saver with no issues, but bloody deer parts can pose a challenge. Fold up a single ‘select a size’ paper towel in the vacuum chamber. The blood/moisture will collect in the towel before it gets to the pump and ruins the sealer. Upping the heat one setting beyond default can burn through the wet and make a good seal. Finally, consider putting the bagged meat in the freezer overnight (unsealed), then seal the bag once the meat is frozen.
    I do this when I have time. I place the meat on cooling racks over baking trays and leave them in the freezer 5 or 6 hours before sealing them. If I don't have time I will make the bags longer and place a folded paper towel in tne bag. I have a Foodsaver brand that is about 10 years old. When it finally goes I want to look into a chamber vac.

The Weston unit we got has two different levels of vacuum. With something that has a lot of moisture/blood, I just set it to the low vacuum. It still pulls up nice and tight, but greatly lessens the amount of liquid being pulled into the sealing area. It also automatically does a little pull in the sealing area, and we've never had a seal undo, unlike the Foodsaver unit we had (which admittedly was pretty old)