• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Going Away from 6 ARC Suppressed?

General RE LEE

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2022
Middle TN
Ever since I got a 6 ARC upper, I’ve shot it suppressed. Even with the AGB, I feel it’s a gassy SOB.

Primary use will be range toy/some hunting. I’m considering just shooting my bolt rifles with the suppressor and either braking my 6 ARC or having no muzzle device.

Anyone not running a can on their AR platform? Prefer a brake or no attachment?

Ever since I got a 6 ARC upper, I’ve shot it suppressed. Even with the AGB, I feel it’s a gassy SOB.

Primary use will be range toy/some hunting. I’m considering just shooting my bolt rifles with the suppressor and either braking my 6 ARC or having no muzzle device.

Anyone not running a can on their AR platform? Prefer a brake or no attachment?

Go shoot it unsurpressed with no brake, then put a break on it, shoot it again. Afterwards make a decision...Either way, it's your preference that will count, not anyone else's.

I live in a no-fun state and always lusted after suppressors. Then all my friends from across state lines got suppressors and I got to spend a lot of time with them.
I'm no longer interested in them for anything more than giggles, and greatly prefer a brake on an AR.

I live in a no-fun state and always lusted after suppressors. Then all my friends from across state lines got suppressors and I got to spend a lot of time with them.
I'm no longer interested in them for anything more than giggles, and greatly prefer a brake on an AR.

The only kicker for brakes is the sound. I never could get into wearing hearing pro while hunting. I shot a braked 45 70 one time without hearing pro and that has stuck with me.

Noveske and others make screw on flash hiders (Noveske pig, et al) that work pretty well in reducing noise at the ear.

Quiet as a can? No. But mo betta than a brake.

I hunt with noise reducing ear plugs (Peltor) that eliminate the need for a can, unless I’m suppressing signature from other hunters or observers.

The only kicker for brakes is the sound. I never could get into wearing hearing pro while hunting. I shot a braked 45 70 one time without hearing pro and that has stuck with me.
Yeah, ear pro required for sure. My hearing loss is bad enough that I never shoot without it, and brake or not my ears will ring for days if I don't.

I told you before you bought that POS that the gas system was wrong, that’s why it’s so gassy. You don’t listen though and here you are LOL.

Reactions: Crews
I don’t think I shoot anything unsuppressed that isn’t a handgun. It’s so much more of a pleasant experience. AR’s benefit greatly from an adjustable gas system and a gas buster style charging handle. Once you’ve got those I just couldn’t see going back.

We hunt out west and my hunting rifle is 10 pounds, with a 22” barrel + 9” suppressor and I carry it everywhere. It’s worth it. Last season I had to fire 3 rounds to rezero after it smacked a rock and I was glad to not be firing a 7mm PRC in the field with an open muzzle.

Game animals respond very differently when you shoot suppressed - they’re much more tame or confused. Every game animal I’ve seen taken with vs without a suppressor had responded differently. You can get an actual second shot when using a can.

Yup and I told this dumbass before in another one of his threads that they had the wrong gas system and it would be any issue and guess what.
I guess I can understand unsuspecting consumers buying what they assume to be properly engineered products. I can't wrap my head around manufacturers that make the stuff though.

I guess I can understand unsuspecting consumers buying what they assume to be properly engineered products. I can't wrap my head around manufacturers that make the stuff though.

They’re $500 complete uppers, you get what you pay for. People buying stuff like that generally don’t know or don’t care and will never know the difference, otherwise they would have bought something decent to start with.

Reactions: Maddog51
They’re $500 complete uppers, you get what you pay for. People buying stuff like that generally don’t know or don’t care and will never know the difference, otherwise they would have bought something decent to start with.
Still, wouldn't you think the lower tier manufacturers would look around and say extended gas systems are hot right now, we aren't smart enough to know why but let's at least cash in on the trend.
Like, who did they consult with, in the year 2023, that though a mid gas 18" was the way to go?

Reactions: TheOE800
Still, wouldn't you think the lower tier manufacturers would look around and say extended gas systems are hot right now, we aren't smart enough to know why but let's at least cash in on the trend.
Like, who did they consult with, in the year 2023, that though a mid gas 18" was the way to go?

They’re idiots. Hornady literally did the R&D on gas length when they developed it.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
22ARC and 6ARC barrels currently, and on brand new release barrels, run the gamut on gas length systems. You can find mid gas, rifle gas, rifle+1, and rifle+2 gas on similar or same-length barrels. I don't know if there's some special tooling some of these shops are using for X length barrel to drill Y position gas port, and they just don't have the fixturing to put longer port positions on shorter barrels, but I highly doubt that's the case.

Reactions: General RE LEE
I have a 6 ARC Proof 18" barrel with rifle +1 gas. Using the riflespeed AGB and the JP captured spring makes for a very soft shooting rifle with very little gas to the face. I have yet to shoot it without the suppressor, but for the majority of my rifles, they are going to be shot suppressed if I can help it.

I don't think a 6 ARC requires a brake at all, so if I were in your shoes, I'd probably save your ears and go without it.

My suppressed 6mm ARC isn't gassy at all. It's 18" rifle +1. I wish my grendel was +1 instaed of rifle. It's not gassy but it's kind of tough on brass.

Reactions: YotaEer

Wilson Combat 6 ARC uppers are also mid length gas.

Interesting enough when searching old posts from different forums, 10-15 years ago, mid length gas systems weren’t uncommon or bashed on 16-18” builds.

Interesting enough when searching old posts from different forums, 10-15 years ago, mid length gas systems weren’t uncommon or bashed on 16-18” builds.
Totally different cartridge a long time ago, lmao. 16” mid is spec, 16” intermediate is better. MK12 been around since GWOT with 18” rifle gas. The government did the research.

My 6 Grendel with rifle length gas isnt bad at all with a Thunderbeast Ultra 7.

Five shots at 600 yards.

JLvJKsg.jpg

QAV1TGm.jpg

Interesting enough when searching old posts from different forums, 10-15 years ago, mid length gas systems weren’t uncommon or bashed on 16-18” bubuilds.
I have a 20 year old truck with drum brakes.
Sometimes it's good that progress happens.

Edit: obviously none of those builds were in 6ARC either.

2nd edit: Wilson Combat is certainly not known for keeping up with the times.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Maddog51

The industry is now making 16” rifle gas barrels in .223, things have changed quite a bit (though that isn’t really a big manufacturing change, just a cultural/user one). Wilson Combat is not regarded as a high quality rifle or barrel maker, but their advertising and very small fan base do a lot of cheerleading.

If I could pick a manufacturer that has its ear to the ground and isn’t a boutique shop but is doing things relatively well, it might be Rainier, and they’re doing all rifle +1 on the ARC’s. Shaw I think is doing Mid. Faxon is probably still months out from releasing all their barrels despite them being the literal development bed for the cartridge which is hilarious and sad at the same time, but I believe they’re all rifle length.

Mid tier and budget manufacturers don’t have enough margin built into their products to account for extensive customer support. Gassing a gun to run trash bin ammo is cheaper for them than the alternative. They are building to the lowest common denominator- being the budget buyer…

Re-barrel and try 6 ARC suppressed again? Or did you buy an assembled 6 arc upper?

Mid tier and budget manufacturers don’t have enough margin built into their products to account for extensive customer support. Gassing a gun to run trash bin ammo is cheaper for them than the alternative. They are building to the lowest common denominator- being the budget buyer…
There is no trash bin 6arc ammo. Tula and Wolf and no-name brands don’t exist for this cartridge. It’s hornady’s pet for the time being. The excuse of needing to run junk low pressure ammo in this cartridge doesn’t make sense.

The rifle and barrel that was developed with the 6 ARC ammunition was made with a rifle +1 gas system for an 18" Proof barrel. Why you would want to go shorter gas system when they spent all the time and money for development?

Before you go and mothball your suppressor that let's say you have about 1200$ in and a long wait why don't you take that barrel and short gas tube off and replace it so you can enjoy suppressed shooting again.

Barrels are expendable in the first place and it appears yours is expendable by design.

Personally on an ar I like running an EC Tuner Brake in the prs design. The normal concussion and blast is mitigated by it's port design and you could use it to tune in the shity factory ammo.

For about 250$ ish you should try one, but I doubt it will fix that crappy barrel set up.

Before you go and mothball your suppressor that let's say you have about 1200$ in and a long wait why don't you take that barrel and short gas tube off and replace it so you can enjoy suppressed shooting again.

Barrels are expendable in the first place and it appears yours is expendable by design.

Personally on an ar I like running an EC Tuner Brake in the prs design. The normal concussion and blast is mitigated by it's port design and you could use it to tune in the shity factory ammo.

For about 250$ ish you should try one, but I doubt it will fix that crappy barrel set up.

Suppressor is excellent on my bolt guns so it isn't going anywhere. In regards to swapping out the barrel, maybe or I might go to a bolt gun in 6 ARC. I'm not confident in my ability to swap out a barrel on an AR but I've heard good things about Proof barrels.

Enjoy your 18” mid length gas system ARC and keep scratching your head as to why it runs like shit.
I won’t even run any of my 18” MLGS Grendels suppressed.

20” RLGS suppressed is close to Hollywood quiet for Grendel with the right can, even a TBAC Ultra 5.

MLGS needs flow-through can and a way to regulate/choke the gas down.

ILGS and RLGS are the way to go for 18” Grendel suppressed.

For 6mm with the reduced bore volume, I would go out with the port as far as I could shooting suppressed.

18” MLGS doesn’t make sense for 6mm AR or 6mm ARC unless you’re shooting 75gr and lighter I think.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
1. Don't buy a barrel from the people that sold you that upper whoever they are , IDK.

2. Take a look on any u-tube or better yet Brownells site on how to swap a barrel on an ar.

Did you contact the company you purchased this substandard set up from?
They should make it right.
I have never seen a barrel of 16 inches lenght or more with less than rifle lenght gass.

Hell I think my 10 1/2 inch sbr has mid lenght .

Beware any company that tries to sell you " proprietary parts" to fix it.
That's a horseshit rabbit hole to avoid.

If you guys elect me as president there will be a manditory warning on all gun parts that have some wanky proprietary bullshit wrong with them.

ie expensive special tooling or needing more bullshit parts to get the first pile of shit to work.

If you learn to assemble your own ar then you will know if the compleate assembly is worth it or just another cool logo and bullshit sales pitch.

My 16" Faxon Gunner 6ARC barrel has mid-length gas, its never bothered me. It also has a SA piston system though, which is probably also trash. Should I find the nearest dumpster?
Is it suppressed too? And if so, what model?

So if I want to maximize tha stickers on my rear window I could get an agb, abcg , aba, proprietary hand gaurd and upper reciever assembly with the matching necisary proprietary lower and custom tool set that will be required to field strip and clean it all with the pre approved cleaning kit.

Shit it doesn't end.

I have some hand gaurds that came with thier barrel nuts that have standard assembly, all other parts will swap, with mill spec all of it everyone.

I could grind off every brand name and not give a tiney little shit they wear out, get broken and or become obsolete.

I do like my tuner brake and watch EC's vidio's

But all bullshit aside it's just a tool.

If I owned a horse I wouldn't name it in case I had to eat it, I've been to Europe and trust me a lot of things taste better, kind of like hamburger that was in the freezer a bit too long.

I remember when WC finally came out with their ARC barrels at long last and immediately tripped over their own dicks with the gas system.

I had been waiting on one because lightweight factory ARC barrels were hard to come by at the time and I was pretty happy with my LW WC Grendel. They originally came out with two 18" configs, a rlgs and a mlgs and right away, oversold the rlgs barrels they had and cancelled the config and all the oversold barrel orders for the shittier mlgs configuration.

I wound up ordering an 18" LW X-Caliber rlgs and it has been a fantastic barrel suppressed. Lesson learned.

I don't shoot suppressors on anything. Never saw the need, cost, cleaning, hassle, extra length, plus tax stamp, to be desirable... it still goes bang just a little quieter, BFD...and I shoot some subsonic loads...just not suppressed.
I use a muzzle brake on most and nothing on some.

I don't shoot suppressors on anything. Never saw the need, cost, cleaning, hassle, extra length, plus tax stamp, to be desirable... it still goes bang just a little quieter, BFD...and I shoot some subsonic loads...just not suppressed.

BFD is correct. Suppressors are a BFD once you own one.

Suppressors are awesome and shooting subs without a can is like wiping before taking a shit.

The best point worth running a suppressor is using subs.

I shoot good suppressed but a tuner brake is way more practical if running high velocity.