• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Going back to school?

TurboTrout

Two Star General
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2020
East Coast
Got a question
Does anyone else who’s established and doing well in their industry decide to go back to school?

With my work I’ve been blessed (or cursed lol) with a good deal of free time, I’m salaried and have a good relationship with by boss and am comfortable.

A month or so ago I decided to go back to school, at my expense, and get a semi related certification, probably get a entry level side job after in that field too, basically little more money and add to my skill set, and kill some downtime.

Boss thinks it’s cool, but talking to my friends, doesn’t seem like many people who are established in their field ever go back to school or add on just for the fun of it.

Anyone here go back to school just because?

I tried to go back and got through a few semesters and I couldn't do it. By that time, I had the full time job, a small business on the side, a few rental properties and 3 kids. It was exhausting. This was in the 90s and I was much younger, but I still couldn't do it.

However I did get my real estate license and also did that for 2 years.

Reactions: TurboTrout
lol I hate school, you could not pay me to go back to school

That said, I have seen several co-workers and have had employees over the years that have gone back to school for various reasons. Mostly to get a masters degree

Since I am in IT, the bigger thing I see people go after are industry related certifications, some need schooling and some can be self study.

I tried to go back and got through a few semesters and I couldn't do it. By that time, I had the full time job, a small business on the side, a few rental properties and 3 kids. It was exhausting. This was in the 90s and I was much younger, but I still couldn't do it.

However I did get my real estate license and also did that for 2 years.

This is more a hands on type thing with a little 1 on 1 class room time.

Yeah, not sure I could do the college thing anymore ether lol

I have always hated school with a passion (for a variety of reasons). That said I managed to graduate from university etc etc.

My take on it is more complicated than most people. It depends on what you do. Certain careers respond well to formal education where as others it won't help you nearly as much.

For example if you are a machine operator in a machine shop and you decide to take a break to go formally learn how to program the next generation of CNC machines you definitely are not hurting yourself.

Same thing is true if you want to become a CPA or something like that. CPA and things like it lean heavily on formal education. If you don't pass the test you will not get formal recognition. Period.

In general a lot of, if not most other areas would be a waste of time and money. For the vast majority college is all about the alumni association. It will help you rub elbows with the right people. Keep in mind once you are out of school for a long enough time people will look down at you in certain ways if you haven't "done something" already.

For example a ton of my classmates all graduated university right into the immediate aftermath of 9-11. When they went two or three or five years or longer in survival mode people overlook them regardless of their degree or talent level. There are exceptions to this but that is the default mode of the world. All they see is a guy with a degree that has been running an ice cream shop for the last five years (or whatever it may be).

In other words for most people it doesn't make sense. There are those however that will greatly benefit from it. There is no right or wrong answer. It can only be decided on in a case by case scenario.

Even just going to college in general is a monumental waste of time and money for a lot of people. It will provide marginal benefit for most. That said university is a money making racket. They convince every kid in the US almost that giving the school insane amounts of money is literally the only way forward.

It's a very complicated thing to say the least.

Reactions: shields shtr
I'll bet you're really looking forward to Jim Gym and Shower Time again.

Do you and your POS friend HemorChoid ever shut the fuck up? Annoying fucking worthless Cunts. Why are you even here? Seriously.

And yes, I went outta my way to unblock your douche ass just to say FUCK YOU. Aaaaaaaaand back on ignore. ;)

I'll bet you're really looking forward to Jim Gym and Shower Time again.

Do you and your POS friend HemorChoid ever shut the fuck up? Annoying fucking worthless Cunts. Why are you even here? Seriously.

And yes, I went outta my way to unblock your douche ass just to say FUCK YOU. Aaaaaaaaand back on ignore. ;)

Who hurt you?
85-D24-AF8-89-B0-4-DCF-8-D37-E0-AD9-F064-F59.jpg

You seem somewhat triggered, this topic was just about professionals who are established and decide to add on to their tool kit, I don’t think where I’m training even has showers, not really sure what you’re even going off about.

R0e3bd5a19d12010005c233aeead55aec

Last edited:
I have zero issue with continuing your education if it makes sense financially to do it, whether that is through a trade school or a traditional 2 or 4 year institution.

The system I see in place now in the majority of "higher" education institutions seems to be far from that. I work in the construction field and I just shake my head every time I see a starting position advertised for an architecture firm. It is usually far less than even an apprentice level tradesmen would earn, and the educational requirements are staggering. Usually a "Masters Preferred" requirement is set forth in the employment add. In some cases, you have a kid with a Masters in Architecture graduating school with about 200k in debt (if they are lucky) and are getting a job that will take them their entire career to payoff that debt (if they are lucky). It just doesn't pencil out. Just one example in numerous field I see, but it is commonplace.

Reactions: TurboTrout
I have zero issue with continuing your education if it makes sense financially to do it, whether that is through a trade school or a traditional 2 or 4 year institution.

The system I see in place now in the majority of "higher" education institutions seems to be far from that. I work in the construction field and I just shake my head every time I see a starting position advertised for an architecture firm. It is usually far less than even an apprentice level tradesmen would earn, and the educational requirements are staggering. Usually a "Masters Preferred" requirement is set forth in the employment add. In some cases, you have a kid with a Masters in Architecture graduating school with about 200k in debt (if they are lucky) and are getting a job that will take them their entire career to payoff that debt (if they are lucky). It just doesn't pencil out. Just one example in numerous field I see, but it is commonplace.

I agree, Mike Rowe has some good talks on this type of thing too

This is more a hands on type thing with a little 1 on 1 class room time.

Yeah, not sure I could do the college thing anymore ether lol

When I did work, we had mandatory training every year. It sucked but it was Federally mandated, so you either lived through the experience or you were fired.