• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Going back to work

ArcticLight

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2003
Silverdale, WA
Got laid off last October, started two quarters of school to get re-certified in the IT field. Passed 2 of the 3 and #3 is in a month.

I had a job interview on the phone at 10am this morning and an offer by 11AM.

I can't say the salary but lets say that it will pay back the schooling in 2 short months. Holy cow...and it's a LOT higher than the last job I just left, hands down.

Just happy to be putting cash BACK into savings.

Those of you with credit cards and/or debt - get rid of it. I can't tell you how nice it was to not have to worry about finances while I was in school. It has almost been a 6 month vacation.

Get rid of the debt, use your debit card instead. Snowball that debt and git her done...

Re: Going back to work

Congratulations on the new job, the schooling, the upcoming re-cert, and doing it all without debt! It's great to hear that you've found much greener pastures than you were stuck in before. I hope it all goes well for you!

I will miss my daily naps though. Man it would be SOOOO easy to just stay at home, except for the lack of income thing.

Congratulations! You did very well during your time off. Most people would sit at home, and wait for something to happen. Cheers to you!

Glad to see someone has the right idea and decides to better themself during unemployment!

Congrats on the money--you've well earned it!!

Congrats!! I will second the credit cards thing. My wife gave birth to our daughter last November. We had been paying as much as possible off while scrimping and saving so she could be a stay at home mom. We payed everything but the house and one vehicle off and were surprised at how much money we have left every month after not having to pay those bills. We no longer have her income and are still putting the same amount into my retirement and our savings. We still use a couple of the credit cards but only for regular purchases and pay the entire amount off when we get the statement.

Congrats again on the new job!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got laid off last October, started two quarters of school to get re-certified in the IT field. Passed 2 of the 3 and #3 is in a month.

I had a job interview on the phone at 10am this morning and an offer by 11AM.

I can't say the salary but lets say that it will pay back the schooling in 2 short months. Holy cow...and it's a LOT higher than the last job I just left, hands down.

Just happy to be putting cash BACK into savings.

Those of you with credit cards and/or debt - get rid of it. I can't tell you how nice it was to not have to worry about finances while I was in school. It has almost been a 6 month vacation.

Get rid of the debt, use your debit card instead. Snowball that debt and git her done...</div></div>

If you don't mind me asking, what certifications did you get?

Hey congrats ... I was in that same position ... knew the job but had to get the paper cause I let them expire. Went back and got re-certified.

Good luck to you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If you don't mind me asking, what certifications did you get? </div></div>

Not at all, I did the CompTia Security Plus, Network Plus and I am working on a 17 credit certificate for Information Sysstems Security.

And I am taking the CISSP test June 18th - that's the big money cert there...

I've learned one thing, get what you can before you get laid off.

This employer is a good company, does a lot of electronic warfare stuff, but they agreed to my exhuberantly high salary.

I figure to get 5-10 years in and then retire, 50% of my paycheck used to go to savings so this time it's closer to 3/4 of the check into savings.

I'd like to say I'm done working for someone else but I just can't come up with my own business idea...LOL