• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Going Downhill Fast?

AndreC

Private
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2018
I wanted to get some perspective from other SH members (regardless of where from):

Is it just me, or does it seem like society's marching off a cliff?

Look at the bright side. The faster it goes off the cliff the quicker we can get it over and on to rebuilding. But out of curiosity, what makes you think it’s picking up speed?

Reactions: RNWRKNP
We are somewhere in the "The weak men create the bad times" part of the eternal cycle of human civilization.
I'm just not sure how far into that part of the cycle we are.

Reactions: RNWRKNP and Rthur
We are somewhere in the "The weak men create the bad times" part of the eternal cycle of human civilization.
I'm just not sure how far into that part of the cycle we are.

^^^ Further than most think, I fear.

Reactions: W54/XM-388
The pace of change is ever accelerating, yet eternal truth is unchanged. They seek to control information, yet we have more freedom to communicate than ever before. I have hope that free men will continue to rule themselves here in the American Republic. Yet for this to be so we must work toward that goal.

Reactions: lash
Gentlemen, thank you for your replies!

I think it's definitely picking up speed...my best attempt to explain the gain in momentum, would be by looking at the news cycle, from 1980-2018:

Years ago, there were major events in the news, but they were usually spaced far apart (say a few months or so)...now, it seems like every few days, an Earth-shattering event. Another person on a financial blog I follow, stated that we're in a positive feedback loop:

(Positive feedback loops enhance or amplify changes; this tends to move a system away from its equilibrium state and make it more unstable).

Basically, from the top on down, society is becoming increasingly complex (and therefore more fragile).

I don't think many people realize just how fragile...e.g. food stores only stock 2-3 days worth of inventory on hand...

Imagine the pandemonium, if a sudden disruption affected the supply chain there.

@ W54: "The Fourth Turning" may be a book for you (though it sounds like you may have already read it).

Kind Regards,

Andre

You know what's really sad? I was born in 1989. No that's not what's sad. ;) Anyways, it seems like common sense flew out the window really quick. SJWs are ruining this once great country. If I had my way, SJWs would be charged with treason and lined up against the wall and executed.

Gentlemen, thank you for your replies!

I think it's definitely picking up speed...my best attempt to explain the gain in momentum, would be by looking at the news cycle, from 1980-2018:

Years ago, there were major events in the news, but they were usually spaced far apart (say a few months or so)...now, it seems like every few days, an Earth-shattering event. Another person on a financial blog I follow, stated that we're in a positive feedback loop:

(Positive feedback loops enhance or amplify changes; this tends to move a system away from its equilibrium state and make it more unstable).

Basically, from the top on down, society is becoming increasingly complex (and therefore more fragile).

I don't think many people realize just how fragile...e.g. food stores only stock 2-3 days worth of inventory on hand...

Imagine the pandemonium, if a sudden disruption affected the supply chain there.

@ W54: "The Fourth Turning" may be a book for you (though it sounds like you may have already read it).

Kind Regards,

Andre

So what you going to do about it?

Reactions: Alphatreedog

Hi,

Most here do not have to imagine...we have seen it and been part of it first hand.

Like the saying goes "Difference between everyday normal life to total Chaos in 9 meals"...when a majority of an areas population misses 9 meals then things go into self preservation mode and can get outright ugly.

This has been proven over and over again; in country after country.

Sincerely,
Theis

Last edited:
The Left right now would rather push us over the cliff than go to jail. Figuring they can be the ones who help us “rise from the ashes” so to speak.

Dangerous times. The biggest threat always comes from within.

Reactions: RNWRKNP
The bulk of this country is on a train w/o brakes going down a 5% grade that has a 120* curve at the bottom. Take heart in the fact many of us will never be impacted by whats coming as we have lived the other way all of our lives, an have always been prepared for whats ahead. Life an trade skills will always trump money!

Hi,

Most here do not have to imagine...we have seen it and been part of it first hand.

Like the saying goes "Difference between everyday normal life to total Chaos in 9 meals"...when a majority of an areas population misses 9 meals then things go into self preservation mode and can get outright ugly.

This has been proven over and over again in country after country.

Sincerely,
Theis
I'm sure as heck not going to miss nine meals. If I miss breakfast there better be lunch.

I've done the missing 9 meals or more thing..... Religious stuff...
You do get a bit hungry and start thinking about non traditional food sources...
I try to plan for various situations so that myself & my dogs don't have to miss meals (Alien wars 1 might make all bets be off however).

I live in Hurricane Country so a bucket of freeze dried will keep me longer than 9. The problem will be those with no bucket will want mine. That’s where 2a comes in.

Food & water is the least of my worry's as I was taught to keep at least a years supply on hand at all times. I'd have to miss two growing seasons,run out of trapping supply's/skills, ammo or fishing gear before I get hungry. One thing country people can do is feed their selfs an know when strangers are about.
To those who think they are coming to the country to hole up while living on other peoples supply's,... bring you lunch.

Hi,

This has been proven over and over again; in country after country.

Sincerely,
Theis

Exactly.

So what you going to do about it?

I have been "doing something about it", for a very long time, now.

1. I do my absolute best to encourage family & friends to "follow the path of their ancestors", in that: they learn "old world skills" (such as country living habits, e.g. gardening, canning, raising poultry/livestock), and adopt a preparedness mindset.

2. Educating others - in the past, when I've found a receptive audience, I've provided books, videos, and various online sources of information. When a person finds themself questioning 'everything they thought they knew about the world', they have a mind that is open to the possibility that many so-called "conspiracy theories" are in-fact factual. Once they ask themselves the right questions, they start to realize how thin the veneer of civilization is.

3. Built a community - where I live, we have an unofficial "neighborhood group", and we all look out for each other, and are fairly likeminded. Among us, we have various professional skills (some of which would be very valuable in a "shtf" scenario). It all started when I bought the house; I made it a point to be friendly and slowly started feeling people out. Over time, we started having cookouts together, and it all just took off from there. As a group, we are certainly better prepared than anyone who thinks 'going it alone' is any kind of workable plan (not directed at you, but I've seen "survivalists" who think "I'll just take whatever I need" is a good plan).

There are some things that I won't disclose here, but I can assure you that I haven't sat idly by, while watching the world change. Inaction is no solution.

It is impossible to be fully-prepared for every possible scenario, but even slim odds are better than no odds.

I have been "doing something about it", for a very long time, now.

1. I do my absolute best to encourage family & friends to "follow the path of their ancestors", in that: they learn "old world skills" (such as country living habits, e.g. gardening, canning, raising poultry/livestock), and adopt a preparedness mindset.

2. Educating others - in the past, when I've found a receptive audience, I've provided books, videos, and various online sources of information. When a person finds themself questioning 'everything they thought they knew about the world', they have a mind that is open to the possibility that many so-called "conspiracy theories" are in-fact factual. Once they ask themselves the right questions, they start to realize how thin the veneer of civilization is.

3. Built a community - where I live, we have an unofficial "neighborhood group", and we all look out for each other, and are fairly likeminded. Among us, we have various professional skills (some of which would be very valuable in a "shtf" scenario). It all started when I bought the house; I made it a point to be friendly and slowly started feeling people out. Over time, we started having cookouts together, and it all just took off from there. As a group, we are certainly better prepared than anyone who thinks 'going it alone' is any kind of workable plan (not directed at you, but I've seen "survivalists" who think "I'll just take whatever I need" is a good plan).

There are some things that I won't disclose here, but I can assure you that I haven't sat idly by, while watching the world change. Inaction is no solution.

It is impossible to be fully-prepared for every possible scenario, but even slim odds are better than no odds.

Interesting topics for a newcomer! Wise words for sure. I think you will fit in nicely. I’m enjoying these discussions. Keep them coming! I’d be interested to hear the strategy you guys have in place for long term food storage and water supply. Are you guys storing water up, canning, betting on freeze dry tonget you by or what?

Reactions: AndreC
It is impossible to be fully-prepared for every possible scenario
The more diversified the group as well as higher number count the better your odds. Ours is in good shape an we are always making contact with others around the S/E to keep on top of things. Ham radio is entrenched in most every group an allows us to be up on most every event/situation. In fact toady I have been mentoring a group leader about 81 air miles away as to operation an security of his station. Once he learns digital an SSTV an teaches his group in same they will fill the Intel gap to our west. Safety in numbers an skill sets will provide easy passage to the new America.

Its probably picking up speed but I doubt as fast as we think. 24/7 news will make you think things are in a tailspin. The more you get out and interact with the average person you won't see things as negative as you do when you focus most of your time on FB, here or watching the evening news.

Interesting topics for a newcomer! Wise words for sure. I think you will fit in nicely. I’m enjoying these discussions. Keep them coming! I’d be interested to hear the strategy you guys have in place for long term food storage and water supply. Are you guys storing water up, canning, betting on freeze dry tonget you by or what?

Thank you, my friend! My reading on the site made me realize that the Hide is definitely a place where I can learn a lot (and hopefully give some knowledge in exchange)!

To answer your question:

Our food storage is a combination of garden-grown, canned, raised, combined with FIFO store-bought stuff, and dry ice sublimated dried grains. We already have barter arrangements in place with several area farmers (trading garden crops they don't grow, labor, and professional services for dairy & meat), plus there's always hunting. Things would really have to go to hell, for us to starve...

In our group, we also did a psychological/physical endurance test by voluntarily starving ourselves for 4 days. I made the point that everyone as individuals, should know how their bodies respond, how it feels, and that they can make do on reduced rations, if necessary. Personally, the first 48 were the worst for me, and it didn't bother me too much afterwards (though I did get lightheaded a little, especially if I moved fast suddenly).

Water is something we got lucky with. We have a mountain spring nearby (close enough to haul from), rain barrel collection systems at each home (mostly for the vegetable gardens), and wells. Distillation and filtration equipment are, imho, worth spending some good $$$ on.

Best,

A.

Shit just ain't right.

FORGING-THE-HERO-Cover-464x600-232x300.jpg

No, I’d agree with you. If all of us are this paranoid and my gut keeps bugging me then I’d have to agree that something isn’t quite right on the horizon. That paranoia and gut has saved my ass more than a few times. So, I have to agree something is amiss. How bad it actually is remains to be seen. I’d also agree that the media and all certainly exacerbates the issue which may or may not be an actual issue just yet. Time will tell. All you can do is do your best to prepare, buy the equipment you need and actually brush up on your skills with it. Skills do perish over time if not used and the worst thing you can do is be caught not knowing how to use your gear. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best. Signing off.

Reactions: AndreC
No, I’d agree with you. If all of us are this paranoid and my gut keeps bugging me then I’d have to agree that something isn’t quite right on the horizon. That paranoia and gut has saved my ass more than a few times. So, I have to agree something is amiss. How bad it actually is remains to be seen. I’d also agree that the media and all certainly exacerbates the issue which may or may not be an actual issue just yet. Time will tell. All you can do is do your best to prepare, buy the equipment you need and actually brush up on your skills with it. Skills do perish over time if not used and the worst thing you can do is be caught not knowing how to use your gear. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best. Signing off.

Silent:

Imho, a good point for people to ponder, is the various differences between the US during the Great Depression, and America today - for our purposes:

- America in the 20's-30's, had a much larger farming population than it does today. Farming, by its very nature is a lifestyle that requires more self-reliance, and therefore a lot of different knowledge/skills.

- People of the GD days usually learned a trade skill (as a fall-back if their jobs didn't work out).

- Daily life in GD-era America was a lot harder (in the sense that we didn't have most of the modern conveniences we have now).

- Drug use/dependency (both legally-prescribed, and illegal) was much lower, expressed as a percentage of the overall population.

- Most of the nation consisted of largely self-sufficient cellular communities then, unlike the centrally-managed supply-chain distribution systems of today. Interlocked, interdependent systems existed in only a few industries (such as banking), so if a failure happened in one place, it didn't threaten the functionality of all the other systems.

Of course, this is by no means complete, and is conjecture, but I really believe that when 'SHTF', it's going to be 10x worse now, than it was then, and the Great Depression lead to millions of deaths.

I prepare for the worst, and hope for the best, but I also see signs of hope that are very encouraging:

Smarter people are waking-up to reality, in greater and greater numbers.

Even if/when things do finally break, it is encouraging to know that the best-prepared segments of society are people with their heads & hearts in the right places (my point being that the 'stupid crap that we despise about these times' is likely to be what ends up starving out and dying off).

Best,

A

Yes, this country (the world really) has been going to shit for the last 25 years. And I put the blame squarely on liberals/leftists. I consider them no better than vermin, pond scum.

I mean, I never thought I'd see the day when a dude dressed up as a fucking woman would be allowed to use the ladies bathroom. Or compete in girls sports. And I'm supposed to accept that degenerate shit? Fuck that, never!

Yes, this country (the world really) has been going to shit for the last 25 years. And I put the blame squarely on liberals/leftists. I consider them no better than vermin, pond scum.

I mean, I never thought I'd see the day when a dude dressed up as a fucking woman would be allowed to use the ladies bathroom. Or compete in girls sports. And I'm supposed to accept that degenerate shit? Fuck that, never!

To add on my last post, another encouraging sign:

Good people are not only 'waking up in greater numbers', they're getting REALLY PISSED OFF.

Arc, I'm right there with you...I will NEVER accept this bullshit as being normal or equal.

Reactions: Arc Light
I view it from a bible perspective:

2nd Timothy 3
But understand this, that in the last days there will come times of difficulty. 2 For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not loving good, 4 treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, 5 having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power. Avoid such people. 6 For among them are those who creep into households and capture weak women, burdened with sins and led astray by various passions, 7 always learning and never able to arrive at a knowledge of the truth.

Not that the world is ending tomorrow, but if people don't change, we are headed that way. Pushing out the values God commanded for men to follow allows evil to take hold. Leftism is basically this. It aligns itself with values that bring the quick and easy pleasures of doing evil rather than the difficulties of doing good. You can get a lot of people on board with your proposed government when you appeal to their selfishness.

We, as a species, make the common mistake of believing that our destiny is the world's destiny.

The dinosaurs might well disagree, and I mildly suspect that's what's driving the Jurassic Park craze on to today's big screens at a subconscious level. But if societies are driven on a subconscious level, we're all in trouble; assuming Freud's definition of the Id have any traction in today's world.

I don't think that they are, and I don't think that our common predicament is an accident of nature. It's intentional, it's just not our intention. Folks with dreams of harm to us and ours are giving it their all to make those dreams a reality.

Every scam is based on the victim's greed. We are in the biggest scam of modern history, and we're not the scammers.

Some way, some day, it's going to be open season, and it's going to be happening on a two way range. No small wonder the would-be oppressors want to disarm their putative targets by any means possible; legal, moral, ethical, or not.

The dumbing down of our schools goes hand in hand, decreasing the critical reasoning powers of our own offspring. As with Hitler and Stalin, the children are being cultivated as our accusers, judges, and executioners.

Some of us say 'no' from time to time; but those singular 'nails' stand above the rest, and attract the hammer. Again, the hammer has been enlarged to massive proportion.

Turn around, look in all the directions; you will see that all means are being arrayed to our detriment.

But no hammer is big enough to sink all of the nails if all of the nails stand at once.

Just do it. If someone pushes you, push back. Don't go along to get along; grow that pair and get in their faces.

I'm old. If it blows up in may face, there's no great loss involved. But the stakes are fundamental and irretrievable, no matter what we look like as individuals. It really doesn't matter what the individual consequences are. If we blow this one, the tipping point is passed, and it all just accelerates straight into Hell, no more side excursions involved.

Nothing good comes without courage and sacrifice, never did, never will. If not now..., forget about the 'later'.

Greg

Dont lament and get distracted by the possible causation, the immediate fire that needs to be put out is the crime scene that is DC. Stay focused on the criminals, they are all at the active crime scene. Also focus obn those that are saying nothing and keeping their heads down, ther are king rat types, Sessions being the #1 King Rat.

Many years ago, one person would help another. The 'helped' would say "thank you" in one manner or another. The "helper" would reply something along the lines of "not a problem, it was THE LEAST I COULD DO".

(who here remembers those words?)

Unfortunately, the dumbing down of society has taken that adage, and turned it into a mantra. Now, it seems by the majority, that their sole purpose in life is "Always do the least you can do". In other words, just "do enough to just barely get by".....

To get one's grande size participation trophy for existence.

That, along with Political Correctness (societal wrongness) are the instigators of the decline of society. There is very little "be the better man" ideology anymore.

It's bad and the way I see it, the whole world changed around 9/11. Everything changed. Maybe it was just me and the situation and timing of mine, but I can't say for sure. I know the 90's were the best times of my life, could be just because the economy was the best it'd ever been (which was an anomaly) or could be that I was in my teens and 20's. We had good music. Phones were what you used to make sure so and so was there or ready so you didn't waste a trip. Nobody but the most boring people spent all day on a computer. We had get togethers every weekend. I miss those days, boy we really LIVED.

Today everything is just shitty. Maybe it's computers and those goddamn phones. I read it's "rewiring" the brain and they have no idea what to expect of it. I think it's a lot of things, and the average person is more aware of the problems that surround them today too. Whatever it is, it's sucked the very life from society.

Look at the shootings. Didn't happen in the "good 'ole days" but sure as shit happens in this dystopian world we live in today. Not the act of a healthy society full of people pursuing what makes them happy. More like the acts of people who feel ruined with no sight of a better future, with nothing but despair and more pain around each corner.

Sometimes I feel like I fell asleep one day and woke up in an alternate reality where our country went to shit instead of continuing to be better, and I'm guessing that day was somewhere in 2001. I couldn't help but feel a bit of 1936 Germany after that day... And it's been said that a democracy will devolve into a fascist state, that it's what happens, and so far I can't disagree with the guy that said it, unfortunately.

I view it from a bible perspective:

2nd Timothy 3
But understand this, that in the last days there will come times of difficulty. 2 For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not loving good, 4 treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, 5 having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power. Avoid such people. 6 For among them are those who creep into households and capture weak women, burdened with sins and led astray by various passions, 7 always learning and never able to arrive at a knowledge of the truth.

Not that the world is ending tomorrow, but if people don't change, we are headed that way. Pushing out the values God commanded for men to follow allows evil to take hold. Leftism is basically this. It aligns itself with values that bring the quick and easy pleasures of doing evil rather than the difficulties of doing good. You can get a lot of people on board with your proposed government when you appeal to their selfishness.

I agree. Seems like what is right is now deemed wrong/hateful/racist, etc. while what is wrong is now considered right, tolerant, just, etc.

Reactions: KZP and mtrmn
My buddies were discussing precious metals like gold and silver and asked me which one to collect. I told them to buy lead. They looked at me like I was crazy.

Reactions: mtrmn