• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Going dual tube thermal - need opinions

DrainTheSwamp2017

Private
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2018
Midwest, SD
I’m running a single mh 25 v1 for hunting wide open terrain. Eye fatigue sets in for me after a while so that’s the reason for wanting to try duals.
Since I hardly ever use the magnification on my helmet mounted mh25 I’m seriously considering running dual ml19’s.
I tried the armasight sidekick 640 and the image quality was laughable compared to the mh25, so that’s out of the question.
Are there any issues getting both thermal images to align? That’s my main question I guess.
And any input on performance between the mh25 and ml19 at base mag would be appreciated as well.
I’d really prefer to have two helmet setups so that’s my reasoning for not just getting another mh25, plus with mine being a v1 w/ pvs eye piece I don’t know how well it would bridge with the newer v2 mh25.

I don't know of any way to really collimate a dual thermal setup. That said, I know a fair number of people run dual thermals and it does not seem to affect it, or them. YMMV.

Laughable? Sure that isn’t user error?
Maybe 15 hours of use in varying conditions. Talked to different vendors about suggestions for settings. Tried every different setting and pallet combination to get something to work. I really wanted it to work because of the FOV but it was just no where near the mh 25.
I don’t want this to turn into a “shit on sidekick” thread but have you looked through both side by side?

I really wanted it to work because of the FOV but it was just no where near the mh 25.
I don’t want this to turn into a “shit on sidekick” thread but have you looked through both side by side?
Well you really answered your own dilemma and disappointment in the Sidekick 640 because you maybe do not understand the relationship between FOV and image all other important specs being somewhat similar.

So the Iray MH 25 has a 640 x 512 FPA, 25mm lens and FOV 17.5 H Degrees x 13.1 V Degrees. This yields 1 pixel sampling 2.77 Square Inches at 100 yards. Irays own data says it will detect a human size object at 1,375 Yards.

So the Sidekick 640 has a 640 x 480 FPA, 19mm lens and FOV 24.16 H Degrees x 17.36 V Degrees. This yields 1 pixel sampling 5.42 Square Inches at 100 yards. Armasights own data says it will detect a human size object at 775 Yards.

Certain specs really matter on image at longer ranges. Unfortunately, a wider FOV is not going to typically produce as good of an image at longer ranges as a narrow FOV, all other important specs being somewhat similar.

The Sidekick 640 looks pretty impressive to me for its FOV.

If you are going to describe a device as "laughable" maybe you should compare "apples to apples" devices.

I can assure you that the IRAY MH 25 looks "hysterical" up against my Flir PTS 736 with its 1 pixel sampling 0.376 Square Inches at 100 yards.

Last edited:
Reactions: stefan73 and JRAY6
The only dual thermals I’ve been truly happy with are Skeets. Not even dual Voodoos compare. I’ve run dual MH-25’s, dual RH-25’s, dual Voodoo-S’s, and dual Skeets. MH25’s weren’t half bad, but still not nearly as good as Skeets.

I’m not so enthusiastic with others, but think anything else is probably better in “dual band”.

The only dual thermals I’ve been truly happy with are Skeets. Not even dual Voodoos compare. I’ve run dual MH-25’s, dual RH-25’s, dual Voodoo-S’s, and dual Skeets. MH25’s weren’t half bad, but still not nearly as good as Skeets.

I’m not so enthusiastic with others, but think anything else is probably better in “dual band”.
Out of any combination of bridged duals did you have any issue with the 2 screens images aligning or is that mainly an issue while trying to fuse with NV?

Reactions: st1650

Wouldn’t dual RH25 be much better than dual MH25 ?

Reactions: TheHorta
Wouldn’t dual RH25 be much better than dual MH25 ?
You’d think… and I hoped, but the’re much fatter and the two units need to make contact to keep the close enough for IPD. Then the Jello effect inverted on the RH makes them worse, even with the updated software. Lastly, the PVS-14 eyepieces on the MH are better for helmet mounting than the standard eyepieces on the RH.

You’d think… and I hoped, but the’re much fatter and the two units need to make contact to keep the close enough for IPD. Then the Jello effect inverted on the RH makes them worse, even with the updated software. Lastly, the PVS-14 eyepieces on the MH are better for helmet mounting than the standard eyepieces on the RH.
I was hoping the latest software completely fixed the jello issue … maybe it is better on the Canadian/intl units ?
I was even thinking of running a MH25v2 bridged with a RH25 and clip on/off the RH25 as needed