• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Going to 26 inch barrel from 24, slower powder?

Jake the dog

Private
Minuteman
May 9, 2017
Savannah, GA
I'm currently using H4350 in a 24 inch 6.5CM. I'm getting a new barrel next week, and am wondering if I should be looking at a slightly slower powder to get the most out of the longer barrel. It doesn't seem like a lot of difference, but it's new to me, and I know there is a great deal of experience on here.

I've been shooting a 260 at 28" since about 2003, and I'm still using H-4350 with 140-143gr bullets. I tested H-4831 way back in a 24" barrel and found better accuracy but less velocity.

These days, velocity is less crucial due to a higher shooting altitude(4350-ish) and the 28" barrel, and I may return to testing with H-4831SC. There are still a number of projects in the queue so this may get done in 2020, may not. Main goal will be getting accuracy out of the 143gr ELD-X.

My key strategy to using the longer barrel was not so much to get greater velocity, but to maintain the same/similar velocity with less heat/pressure, perhaps prolonging throat life.

Considering that the barrel is 15-16y/o and still going pretty danged strong, that may be working. It may also be due to less LR shooting on my part, estimating 1600-1800rd downrange.

Greg

I'm currently using H4350 in a 24 inch 6.5CM. I'm getting a new barrel next week, and am wondering if I should be looking at a slightly slower powder to get the most out of the longer barrel. It doesn't seem like a lot of difference, but it's new to me, and I know there is a great deal of experience on here.
No, burn rate choice is more a funciton of bullet weight and rate of volume change behind the bullet (chamber volume + bore volume growing over time).

Most of the speed is gained in the first few inches, a few inches of longer barrel wont suddenly make a less optimal powder selection more optimal than a better powder selection in the first place. Choose the best powder no matter the barrel length.

3,800 fps at the end of a looooooong ass 48" barrel.

In the first 10" the bullet is going 2,700 which is 70% of its total speed if one were to run a 48" barrel.

At 25" ----which is 15 additional inches (aka a barrel 2.5x as long, aka a 150% increase in barrel length)---- and the bullet is going 3,500 or 92% of the total possible speed... but thats only an additional 30% in the velocity gained with a barrel 150% longer.
1574442477147.png