• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Going to a "Lighter" barrel for comp shooting

vprtoad

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2009
lake titicacca
Just been seeing a lot more off hand, unsupported, positional shooting lately.

What do you think about going with a smaller taper to decrease weight for more stability on standing and kneeling stages ect.

If so what taper would you recommend.

Current barrel is a MTU taper on my comp bolt gun.

Re: Going to a "Lighter" barrel for comp shooting

Depends on the type of competition. In high power, standing on your hind legs, not moving, stationary targets, I like a heavy gun/barrel. It helps in dampening movement.

But:

In a CCC (Close Combat style) of shooting as in Multi or "3" gun, with lots of run-dodge-and-jump, moving or shooting moving targets, I like a light rifle.

I started with my 308 with MTU contour and after shooting for 8 months or so, I got a 260 with Rem/Var contour. The 260 is much handier while climbing, crawling, kneeling, standing, sitting, prone unsupported, support-side, etc.

Now if I could remember to CHECK MY ELEVATION before engaging the first target in a stage.. LOL...

Yeah I just went from Heavy Varmint to Light Palma and I'm glad I did.

This is a good resource:

Pac-Nor weight calculator

What's nice about it, I can take the contour dimensions from Brux, Rock Creek, Bartlein, Kreiger, and plug them into the custom contour section to compare the different listing from the markers.

The biggest weight saving are derived from shortening the barrel. For example a 7mm 26" Rem Varmint contour runs around 4.86 lbs. Shortening it to 23" for example brings it in to 4.44 lbs. That's almost a full 1/2 pound at the end of barrel, were due to leverage you feel it most.

Fluting is another option, for weight savings, but I prefer full profiles, and keeping my money.

Bob

Rosie...I have more problems than "air balling" the elevation come up's !!!!

Just tired of getting my butt kicked in the unsupported stuff at the tac match's I show up at...at least I can keep practicing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vprtoad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rosie...I have more problems than "air balling" the elevation come up's !!!!

Just tired of getting my butt kicked in the unsupported stuff at the tac match's I show up at...at least I can keep practicing.

</div></div>

Yeah, on Sunday, during the last stage, I sailed a 139 Scenar over my intended target because I had 1000 yard dope on for a 500 yard target!! I only had 5 seconds for a follow up, so by the time I un-f'd myself time expired on my 2nd shot. Cost me 15 points and 2 positions in the standings (finished 5th instead of 3rd). I've been shooting the local matches here in AZ for a year now. Made some great friends and I'm completely hooked. I just need to shake the rifle ADD I have and just SHOOT WHAT I GOT & QUIT CHASIN THE NEXT BEST THING.

Now there's that 3-gun gimmick.....(more to follow).

Bob thanks for the link to that contour calculator. Nice!

Light is Right !

There is no reason to have a super heavy contour, extra long barrel... it's 2011, we have better, barrels, bullets and powders. Back in 1978 when they were using 168gr stuff you needed longer thicker barrels, today, forget about it.

tell em frank, i was afraid your 36" test gun was goin to start a fad of people with 36" long barrels. you never know.

Frank's dead-on. The closer the task comes to a hunting scenario, the better the hunting rifle serves the purpose.

Tactical Rifles built on the traditional model are great guns, but they are no joy to employ in the field.

Carlos used a hunting rifle. He knew what he had to do and how to get it done.

The 'tradition' tactical rifle model came later, and departed from his wisdom.

For one thing, when a barrel gets hot, the sporter will cool down faster than the heavy one. It's simple thermodynamics. The more heat a mass will absorb, the more time it will take to emit it.

Add to this that the further out one gets from the starting point, the more energy will be consumed in transporting the rig. These and other related factors all make a contribution to practical field marksmanship.

On the one hand, Frank's arguments for accuracy with a lighter barrel are quite true, and my own experience in paper tactical matches bear them out. 20rd in a handful of minutes was not a stretch.

Popular wisdom about sporter barrels not being able to stay accurate when hot depend on a lot of things, most of which can be accommodated with reasoned thought and practical experience. No small part of the problem is that a significantly hotter barrel probably needs its load adjusted. So maybe there needs to be an additional adjusted load for such situations.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Light is Right ! </div></div>

Always has been, always will be, for every kind of field task.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vprtoad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just been seeing a lot more off hand, unsupported, positional shooting lately.

What do you think about going with a smaller taper to decrease weight for more stability on standing and kneeling stages ect.

If so what taper would you recommend.

Current barrel is a MTU taper on my comp bolt gun. </div></div>

Man up.....

you saw the guy this weekend with the truck axle.....

For me the thin sporter contours dont hold POI during string fire. I prefer .875 to .75 barrel that runs straight once clear of the chamber. I agree with Bob, shorten the barrel and you have made the biggest difference in percieved wight.

I was an old hand in '78 so going below 20" is too creepy for me.
grin.gif

One trick to make a longer barrel feel lighter is tweek the balance. Add wieght to the butt to help with a barrel's pull down in front can help.

A decade ago I got an LTR and thought it a very good selection for Tactical. Advances in powder and bullet hasnt been enough to my mind to have a 20" F Class rifle, but the LTR makes a great hunter rifle.

Man up.....

you saw the guy this weekend with the truck axle..... [/quote]

Chiller I know...

I seen him put that rig in the rack between stages and just went WOW !!!!! I'm glad I didn't have to shoot the 500m standing, kneeling or sitting with that unit.

Oh by the way good job kick'n my butt at the last match you had the mo-jo for sure