• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Going to an AI AX from a Barrett MRAD

ChristianSilver

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 3, 2019
    East Texas
    So many choices and somewhat confusing. Joe at MHS spent some time with me on the phone Thursday.
    Somewhat clearer pictures and what’s needed for caliber changes. The AXMC sure looks good but the AXSA is a fine ride too.
    Is the AXSA chambered for 300 WM a one caliber deal, what other calibers will it shoot with just a barrel and mag swap?
    Now the 308 bolt will shoot my go to round 6.5CM, and also 308, 260 and 243 correct?

The AXMC can do magnum, 338, 300 NM with the 338 bolt correct?
    The 308 and 300WM same as above.

Any input would be appreciated,
    Pros and cons, I know there’s no cons of an AI, but differences from those who got a handle on both platforms.

It’s a big investment and only want to buy once. Thinking it will last me from now on..

Going to sell my MRAD, no need for both...

The short AX does not come in 300wm, and will only your short action stuff(308, 6.5 creed etc). There isn’t even a magnum faced short bolt yet.
    The MC does everything from 338 Lapua on down to the short action cartridges.

You want an AXMC or an AXSR or ASR. AXSA will only do 308 sized cases. With the others you can run anything that uses a Lapua bolt face (Lapua and normas), anything that runs a regular magnum boltface (WM, RM, RUM, PRC, WSM, SAUM), and anything that runs standard bolt face (308, creedmoor, x47L, etc) with a bolt swap and mag swap. Get the small firing pin AXMC full bolt assembly for the standard stuff, not the conversion bolt. You’ll want the small firing pin for creedmoor and stuff.

They’re the best of the multi cal rifles and you absolutely should upgrade from a MRAD for one.

Multi-caliber is a unique area. I have found that most people who think they want multi-caliber end up shooting one caliber with the rifle, so be sure that is your need, as you pay a premium for the ability to swap out barrels.

Honestly, the MRAD has grown on me. Especially as it won two big government contracts for long range multi-caliber sniper rifles from the US Military. Beating AI, by the way. The Mk22 MRAD is pretty impressive. It could be that the refinments in the Mk22 are an advancement on the traditional MRAD, but I shoot an MRAD personally, and it is an aquired taste.

If you are in the market for multi-cal, the Cadex McKraken is a very impressive rifle. I had the chance to evaluate on the range at ShotShow and it won my vote. Of course, we like everything Cadex to start with, so there is a bias before I evaluate. :rolleyes:

You want an AXMC or an AXSR or ASR. AXSA will only do 308 sized cases. With the others you can run anything that uses a Lapua bolt face (Lapua and normas), anything that runs a regular magnum boltface (WM, RM, RUM, PRC, WSM, SAUM), and anything that runs standard bolt face (308, creedmoor, x47L, etc) with a bolt swap and mag swap. Get the small firing pin AXMC full bolt assembly for the standard stuff, not the conversion bolt. You’ll want the small firing pin for creedmoor and stuff.

They’re the best of the multi cal rifles and you absolutely should upgrade from a MRAD for one.

Redneck, appreciate the feed back. I knew I wanted the MC and read about SFP being the right choice. I’m still confused as to the cost difference between the two. Why?
    I plan on pulling the trigger here very soon.
    I’m ju

Multi-caliber is a unique area. I have found that most people who think they want multi-caliber end up shooting one caliber with the rifle, so be sure that is your need, as you pay a premium for the ability to swap out barrels.

Honestly, the MRAD has grown on me. Especially as it won two big government contracts for long range multi-caliber sniper rifles from the US Military. Beating AI, by the way. The Mk22 MRAD is pretty impressive. It could be that the refinments in the Mk22 are an advancement on the traditional MRAD, but I shoot an MRAD personally, and it is an aquired taste.

If you are in the market for multi-cal, the Cadex McKraken is a very impressive rifle. I had the chance to evaluate on the range at ShotShow and it won my vote. Of course, we like everything Cadex to start with, so there is a bias before I evaluate. :rolleyes:

Longshot, I absolutely love my MRAD, sub 1/2 MOA rifle. It was easy to find my pet loads and just just been a pleasure.
    Im just ready for something new, have a bad itch..
    My MRAD is less than a year old, bought new and will not sale immediately.
    I do intend to do two calibers off the bat.. 6.5CM and a 300NM in the AXMC... That’s why I do not understand the cost difference between the AXSA and the AXMC...
    I had the AI itch when I bought my MRAD, and jumped with no regrets to date. But it’s back and will scratch my itch on AXMC.
    Cadex would be a fine one to own...

The short AX does not come in 300wm, and will only your short action stuff(308, 6.5 creed etc). There isn’t even a magnum faced short bolt yet.
    The MC does everything from 338 Lapua on down to the short action cartridges.

Thanks for clearing that up, talking to Joe at MHS, I guess I didn’t listen, and took it wrong.

I’ve not yet understood the cost being more on the AX vs the MC. Care to elaborate? I can’t figure it out..

Reactions: m1match
    Thanks for clearing that up, talking to Joe at MHS, I guess I didn’t listen, and took it wrong.

I’ve not yet understood the cost being more on the AX vs the MC. Care to elaborate? I can’t figure it out..

Axmc is discontinued the axsa is not for now

AXMC discontinued? Makes sense now, AXSR, ASR filling the gap.
    Thanks, guess I might have a few things to consider now...

I have DTs and a AI. The AI is smoother and more reliable. The DTs are much better in/out of vehicles/equipment. And I shoot them better for some reason.

Hard to beat going from 223 to 338 LM. And the barrel retention/change is better on the DT

But the AI is a better gun overall.

Reactions: Badfinger
    That’s what I hear, definitely and difference in the 2...
    It’s damn sure a shooter, it’s made a few trip to Triple C..

Redneck, appreciate the feed back. I knew I wanted the MC and read about SFP being the right choice. I’m still confused as to the cost difference between the two. Why?
    I plan on pulling the trigger here very soon.
    I’m ju

The SFP bolt assembly costs more because it includes the firing pin and shroud assembly as well whereas the LFP .308 conversion bolt is just the bolt body and you swap your firing pin assembly into it (takes like an additional 30 seconds). Their firing pin assemblies are usually like $400 by themselves so the up charge to the full assembly is really a pretty decent deal.

Reactions: R.Walters
    Thanks, appreciate it..
    I’ve been combing listing and dealers for learning experience. Why are 300PRC barrels so hard to find for the MC’s..?

Thanks, appreciate it..
    I’ve been combing listing and dealers for learning experience. Why are 300PRC barrels so hard to find for the MC’s..?

It's still a really new chambering, I'd be really surprised is AI didn't start running them once demand grows. Proof is doing them though and there's a lot of shops that already have the action dimensions and can spin up anything you want.

I went from an MRAD to an AXSA A few months ago. I would not consider it an upgrade- more of a parallel move.

The AI is definitely nicer (stock adjustability, ‘metal on metal’ cycling feel), and other less tangible factors. The MRAD does have a better trigger unless you get the AI match trigger.

I think, that if spending your own money, the AI is a more satisfying system to have and shoot.

You won’t gain anything in performance, but you will gain a lot of approving posts on internet forums.

I went from an MRAD to an AXSA A few months ago. I would not consider it an upgrade- more of a parallel move.

The AI is definitely nicer (stock adjustability, ‘metal on metal’ cycling feel), and other less tangible factors. The MRAD does have a better trigger unless you get the AI match trigger.

I think, that if spending your own money, the AI is a more satisfying system to have and shoot.

You won’t gain anything in performance, but you will gain a lot of approving posts on internet forums.

I’m surprised to hear and do appreciate the feedback. Not looking for approval by no means.

I’ve often thought I was missing out on something that would just blow me away, maybe not.
    I have no issues with my MRAD, damn fine piece of work. As stated above it’s a accurate, reliable and have had nothing but great support from Dillon at Barrett. MRAD has a lot of choices now in caliber swaps, really a simple process.
    I’m still itching to run an AI, I’m able to buy and not sweat the cost. I will not sell my MRAD until I’ve ran the AI a few months. I will say that AI holds its value, but Barrett’s do as well.
    I’m do like the simplicity of the MRAD over the AI now, but I’m sure in no time I’ll feel the same about AI..
    Thanks, appreciate the feedback...

Do you mind used on the AI front? Say a pre 14 AX or something like that?

I’m surprised to hear and do appreciate the feedback. Not looking for approval by no means.

I’ve often thought I was missing out on something that would just blow me away, maybe not.
    I have no issues with my MRAD, damn fine piece of work. As stated above it’s a accurate, reliable and have had nothing but great support from Dillon at Barrett. MRAD has a lot of choices now in caliber swaps, really a simple process.
    I’m still itching to run an AI, I’m able to buy and not sweat the cost. I will not sell my MRAD until I’ve ran the AI a few months. I will say that AI holds its value, but Barrett’s do as well.
    I’m do like the simplicity of the MRAD over the AI now, but I’m sure in no time I’ll feel the same about AI..
    Thanks, appreciate the feedback...

I don’t want to give the wrong impression, the AI is definitely a nicer firearm, I just do not think it is better.

I don’t want to give the wrong impression, the AI is definitely a nicer firearm, I just do not think it is better.

AI is definitely a better platform.

- 100% repeatability barrel on/off
    - Barrel changes only requires a 4mm
    - Fully adjustable tool less target style butt
    - Far better barrel support and caliber availability both factory and aftermarket
    - No need to rob a barrel extension to have a non standard barrel made
    - Available competition trigger that’s full adjustable both single stage and two stage and can go down to 6oz.
    - Adjustable trigger shoe
    - Aftermarket accessory support such as ARCA plates and aftermarket forend
    - Smoother and faster bolt operation
    - Dealer support and availability internationally
    - Can break down and go in a very tiny case

I could go on. MRAD’s are great rifles but the only real advantage I see over the AXMC is lower cost bit you’ve gotta be doing pretty well in life to afford either so I don’t see that being a deciding factor. MRAD had the advantage of using AR style grips so the end user could put on anything they want and aren’t stuck with just one if for whatever reason they don’t like it but now the ASR/AXSR has that same feature and also gets you more neat features over the AXMC and MRAD such as built in ARCA as well as some other stuff.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
    Well after looking and weighing my options I’ve decided to go a different route.
    Going to build my own, just the way I want it.
    Cadex Lite Strike Chassis LH
    Bighorn TL3 SA
    Shilen Stainless Select Match 26”
    APA Little Bastard
    TT Diamond
    With the ease of swapping out barrels on the TL3 action it’s a no brainer. Plenty of choices in barrels

Main reason for swapping is I want a lefty, been shooting right actions from the left side due an eye injury.