• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Going to S. Africa, gun choice!

Smokin99

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2008
Incirlik, Turkey
I have a big SAKO action and am going to build a rifle for a hunting trip to S.Africa going to be shooting plains game over there. I have 300s and 338s but never built anything bigger, so my question is what do you guys think about building a 375WBY, reason is more velocity than a 375H&H and in a pinch I could use 375H&H ammo and run threw it with no problem. Dont tell me to take one of my 300s or 338s and save the money for the game, I am building a rifle on the big SAKO and need some ideas and thought you guys might have some input!

Thanks
Chris

Re: Going to S. Africa, gun choice!

The OLD 375H&H gets the job done just fine. No need for the extra fps. Make it a .404 Jeff if you want more power. My .02 I have a 602 that was a 375H&H, made it into a 375W. Could not tell any differance.

In 375 I would stay with the original H&H.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rhys</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In 375 I would stay with the original H&H. </div></div>

+10 on the .375 H&H
The wife and I went over to SA in April.
Here's pics and spec's on the rifle I used.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1785018

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1785020

All shots were between 25-260 yds. I absolutely loved it and will go back soon! I had the time of my life there.

I'd go with the .375 H&H....lots of that ammo over there. Every Range Rover over there probably has a few rounds rolling around in the glove box..

Carrying my .308 with 150gr TTSX in June 2011 plains game. A friend of mine did all his plains game hunts with a 7-08 140 grainers.

Take whatever you feel comfortable shooting.

I would be asking this question of my guide, and not on a site that only deals with large dangerous game as a side issue. Moreover, I'd be making arrangements to use something the guide favors, or even better, provides. Guns and ammo into and back out of a country on the African continent may not be a new issue, but it's an issue nonetheless.

Personally, you'd never catch me on that continent. They tell me folks get eaten there....

Greg

i6fl39.jpg

Get yourself one of these.
Just dont go to Mitchells Plains...

I know you said not to say this but, I would take your 300s or 338s.

Really, the gun I would build if I had to have a .375 would be the ruger .375 and you can take a standard action to do it.

I would take the sako action and make a .416 rem out of it...

Yes to the .416 caliber . . . Thunderbolt is absolutely correct . . . .

Reason for the 375wby is it can shoot 375WBY ammo or 375H&H. My plan was to take 375WBY ammo with me but just in case it gets lost in transition I can always shoot some 375H&H (which should be availible over there) threw it with no problem at all. Weve built these guns before and the custom chamber reamer we have is producing very impressive results. Ive never had a gun over a 338 so that was another reason for building it, Plus once my brother gets done over in the sand box flying we are heading to Alaska for the 4 time to go kill a couple of brown bears too, but he doesnt get back for another 12months. Sure is nice being a res of AK.....LOL

Ordered the barrel yesterday its going to be a 375wby

Thanks again

+ 10 on the classics and beautiful rifle Sir.

9.3x62, at least that and a .308 is what im taking next week

Smoke
I know what you are going through...I am doing the same thing. There are always something to consider. Bottom line build what you want. Something you would enjoy when you are at home and not in Africa.

I have a Lazzeroni Warbird I am converting to at 375 Laupa Improved...why? Just cuz I want to. I talked to Boddington the other day and he said the chances of loosing your rifle or ammo on an African hunt is "overdone"...it rarely happens and if it does your PH will have a rifle you can use.

BTW some African countries do not allow any calibers with repeating numbers...ie 338., 223 etc

dyoung,I have never heard the repeating number disallowing rule you talk about. I fact I have hunted 8 differant countries in Africa.
Also, the argument for loss ammo gun is way over rated.

When the wife and I went over, we split our ammo between us so if a bag was lost we still had 1/2 our ammo left in the remaining bag.

It's hard to beat the old H&H. I love my Mark V

In Africa, long range shooting, is considered over 200 yards by most PH's and is strongly discouraged. Most people aren't that good a shot and the "you bleed it, you bought it policy" enforced by the PH works with that idea.

The 375 h&h is rightly considered perfect for just about everything by most African hunters.

The extra velocity is not worth the extra recoil and noise.
I have been to Africa 4 times and the only had one shot over 225 yards. Most of time you can get closer which is a lot of the fun.

S

I have always been old school. 375 H&H and a 416 Rigby have done the job for me.

The reason PH's think over 200 is a long shot is because they have had to many poeple coming over with to big of calibers and can not shoot them. They make bad shot's. Second, the PH's can not even shoot past 200 yards themselves. They also do not have the gun's or loads for it.
You have to take in consideration they get pepole from all over the world. Not everyone is blessed with gun ownership like we are here in America. We can shoot all day long. we have cheap componets, we have inexpensive guns, scopes etc....
I went to gun store in South Africa and a box of 270 win. was 70.00 U.S.. That is why most PH's can not shoot long distance.
It also depends on the area you are going to hunt... Africa is very vast and has many tpes of differant landscapes. There are parts you can not even see 10 yrds ( C.A.R or CONGO ) then there are parts like NAMIBIA where you could shoot as far as you want.

BOTTOM LINE : You have to have at least 375 cal. to shoot any of the big five. So, the only thing that matters is pick one you can shoot. One your not scared of and will not flinch. All of your shots will be under 100 yards, most likely under 75yrds.

Thunderbolt
I just booked my second hunt to Mozambique....Went to SA and Zim a few years back. This time was told by the PH that anything with a double number means military weapon in Joberg and the local authorities frown on that caliber. This was confirmed by Steve at travewithguns.com

I agree 375 H&H is fine...but as I said personally I am building my 375-338 Improved for me...taking it to Africa (if I can) is just icing on the cake...that is why I told Smokin to build the rifle he wants...and not to worry about the very slim chance the airlines will loose the ammo. But that is just my thinking...there is nothing wrong with playing it safe either.

My wife used her 375-338 Toklat to take 13 animals in 3 different countries in Africa. Bitteroots were her bullet of choice and she had few problems (Course there was the Cape Buff that took 5 shots to put down!)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">9.3x62, at least that and a .308 is what im taking next week </div></div>X2 on the 9.3x62...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Humongo Spheres</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
DSCN0207.jpg

Sako Safari that has been there and done that. .375 H&H the only right way, be classical and be happy. </div></div>Love the SS. Tough to find in ANY caliber though..

dyoung,
Steve at travelwithguns.com and your PH do not know what they are talking about.....
First, I assure you the guys in JOBERG, have no clue to what a caliber is or what differant guns are.
I just got back from South Africa, I took a 338LM THUNDERBOLT action in AI stock, as well as my 308 AW. Both those guns look as much as military as you can look like as well as the 338lm and 308 being Military rounds....
I had no trouble.....
If you are concerned about problems take extra cash and tip well..... there will be no problems after that......

Just ran across an old issue of <span style="font-style: italic">Gun Tests</span>. The Ruger M77 Hawkeye African .375 Ruger was tested against some of the more traditional .375's and found to be highly superior, especially with regard to smoother and more reliable feeding. The traditional .375's were considered to be excessively powerful, while the .375 Ruger gained very good respect from the testers.

I know you've made your choice, but others may find this informative.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The traditional .375's were considered to be excessively powerful,</div></div>

Excessively powerful for what? Was that with African or North American game? I kind of doubt 375H&H to be considered too powerful, and it seems Ruger has even more case capacity. So maybe other 375's were of Weatherby flavor or something?

Also belted case has its uses. If you're gonna cook your ammo under African sun, have some dirt around etc., you may not want a tight chamber. Belted case gives you an option to alleviate these problems (which option is used in many guns).

I think your points are good, and I'm just relaying the points raised in the article. I've never been, and will never go, to Africa. I can only parrot the views of others on this account. But they appeared convincing in context. I defer further discussion to the June 2007 issue of <span style="font-style: italic">Gun Tests</span>.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rath</div><div class="ubbcode-body">9.3x62, at least that and a .308 is what im taking next week </div></div>

9.3x62 was going to be my suggestion too. In my experience, it kicks considerably less than a 375 and hits nearly as hard.
cool.gif

A good friend, now passed, was a professional guide in South Africa. For his own purposes, he (Don 'Bucky' Malson) hunted dangerous game with a muzzle loader, and wrote a book about it.

Personally I think he was nutz, and probably had balls so big he needed a wheelbarrow. But he knew his stuff enough to be Pres Le Clerc's Personal Guide.

Certain calibers were/are considered mandatory minimums for dangerous game, and I think he would have approved of the .375 Ruger and the Ruger 77 Hawkeye African. Good reliability, good performance, good sights. Besides, Ruger would have to be liability crazy to showcase such a combination if it wasn't up to snuff.

For 'the pot gun', he liked the .25-'06, because of its flat trajectory and whack. I'd prefer the .270 or .280, but that's just a personal preference. In the extremely unlikely event (people get <span style="font-style: italic">eaten</span> in Africa) of my going on Safari in Africa, I would consider the Ruger and a .280 to be my preferred choices.

Greg

375 is not necessary.....but the shots arent long, so bring whatever you like the most, I liked the 338 Win w/ 275 gr. SWAF, better SD than any 375 boolet