• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gold Ring Spotting Scope Help

VonReich

Staff Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2012
Houston, TX
I'm looking at two spotting scopes, I haven't seen the difference between the two and wonder if anyone has experienced the difference.

Loopy Gold Ring 12-40x60mm HD and Loopy Gold Ring 12-40x60

Is there any difference between the two? I compared the specs on Leupold's website and they appear to be exactly the same frame, same specs, only big change is the name and one says it has index matched and coated glass. Anyone seen the two? The reason I'm choosing Leupold is its a known name, they're rugged, I've never had problems with their products, and a fat mil discount...

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Re: Gold Ring Spotting Scope Help

I know this is not what you want to hear or read but I own the 10-20 x40 which is a real small, light weight and compact. This I use as a replacement for my bigger spotting scope. The point is this. I am able to see 22lr bullet holes at 200 yds. most days unless it is very very hot which it gets here in Texas. The glass is not the HD but amazing for such a small objective lens.

If I can discern 22lr holes at 200 yds with this I know that bigger objective lens of 60mm will be even better. I would advice you to get the HD glass. It makes a lot of difference when atmospheric conditions are against you. It is worth the money. My larger scope I have is the Nikon fieldscope with 85mm ED.

I've got HD and non HD leupold glass and I would say get the high def no question. To me the HD pays off especially in low light.

thanks for the heads up! I just couldnt see any reason to go with it. Any comparison between the Mk4 12-40x60mm and the GR HD 12-40x60?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VonReich</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any comparison between the Mk4 12-40x60mm and the GR HD 12-40x60?
</div></div>

I was wondering the same, what's the difference between the MK4 and the GR?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VonReich</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks for the heads up! I just couldnt see any reason to go with it. Any comparison between the Mk4 12-40x60mm and the GR HD 12-40x60?
</div></div>

It turns out that the HD doesn't meet Mil Spec so the Mk4 dosen't have have that lens treatment.

Rgds

L

Lucror, do you have any info on why that is, I'm interested.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: j.baum</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lucror, do you have any info on why that is, I'm interested. </div></div>

Unfortunately that's all I know. I'd asked a guy from Leupold about the differences between the Mk4 and the GR HD and he said the HD lens coating doesn't meet current mil-spec requirements.

He also mentioned that they don't put the coating on the Mk4 "at this time", so perhaps they are working on a coating to meet mil-spec in the future?

Rgds

L