• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Golf ball dimpled bullets.

deersniper

Protecting the Sheep
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Feb 22, 2007
    Northeast
    This article is from 2009. Why hasn’t it caught on more if it really improves BC and MV??

Didn't Hornady have "bullets cams" in one of their April fool advertising?
    I was just trying to recall which company had that one out. I was really intrigued for about an hour trying to figure out how they could actually make that work. My wife took one look and said it had to be an April Fools joke....nah...not a reputable (?) bullet manufacturer.

FWIW and despite that this is an old April fools. This concept isn’t new. we tested this concept in the wind tunnels back in college on aircraft wings to increase laminar flow, reduce drag and build more efficient wings. It helped but not enough to justify using the research. Winglets are better.

we also tested a system that used vacuum pressure through thousands of tiny holes which literally pulled the air to the skin to do the same thing. Still not beneficial enough but the concepts are solid just that there are better designs out there. But you have to start somewhere.

Back in the early 2000s, sports science engineers tested the application of golf ball-style dimples to baseball bats for the major leagues. They found the reduced drag increased bat swing speed around 1%, which apparently wasn't worth the increased cost.

Proof dimples work:
    I've never hit a golf ball 563 yards until I shot these 2 with a Barrett:
    563 yard golf balls.JPG

• Wow
    Reactions: deersniper
    FWIW and despite that this is an old April fools. This concept isn’t new. we tested this concept in the wind tunnels back in college on aircraft wings to increase laminar flow, reduce drag and build more efficient wings. It helped but not enough to justify using the research. Winglets are better.

we also tested a system that used vacuum pressure through thousands of tiny holes which literally pulled the air to the skin to do the same thing. Still not beneficial enough but the concepts are solid just that there are better designs out there. But you have to start somewhere.

Hi,

O here we go back to the mid 2000s of SH, lol............Where the Cali/Utah guy vs Aussie vs South African vs German were all the rage talking about reducing drag in projectiles, reducing the pressure exerted onto the projectiles, etc etc by putting a hole in the middle to resemble to air foil grenade designs.

Sincerely,
    Theis

Reactions: _Windrider_