• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gongs At 50 & 100 Yards Today - Prone / Iron Sight

JoeMartin

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
USA
Decided to hang up some of my new gongs today and take some shots at them from the prone position at 50 and 100 yards using two Marlin rifles.

002-6.jpg

The 5" & 4" gongs on the left I shot at with my Marlin 80DL with open iron sights from 50 yards prone,,, and the 3 gongs on the right (7", 8", 6") I shot at with my Marlin 925 with the Williams Receiver Peep Sight from 100 yards prone.

I decided to make a little game out of the 100 yard prone shooting today, with the 7, 8, & 6 inch gongs. Here's the results of that. I think it's pretty self explanitory;

Round 1:
Set 1 - 5 Shots Prone 8" Gong.....H H H H H - 5pts + 1 BP
Set 2 - 5 Shots Prone 7" Gong.....H H M H H - 4pts
Set 3 - 5 Shots Prone 6" Gong.....H H M M H - 3pts
Set 4 - 5 Shots Prone 8" Gong.....H H H H H - 5pts + 1BP
Set 5 - 5 Shots Prone 7" Gong.....H H H H M - 4pts
Set 6 - 5 Shots Prone 6" Gong.....H H H H H - 5pts + 1BP
Score.....[26 of 30 + 3BP]

Round 2:
Set 1 - 5 Shots Prone 8" Gong.....H H H H H - 5pts + 1BP
Set 2 - 5 Shots Prone 7" Gong.....H H H H H - 5pts + 1BP
Set 3 - 5 Shots Prone 6" Gong.....H H H M H - 4pts
Set 4 - 5 Shots Prone 8" Gong.....H H H M H - 4pts
Set 5 - 5 Shots Prone 7" Gong.....H H H H M - 4pts
Set 6 - 5 Shots Prone 6" Gong.....H M H H H - 4pts
Score.....[26 of 30 + 2BP]

Final Score.....[52 of 60 x 5BP]

"BP" = Bonus Points And Is Used For First Tie-Breaker

You Recieve 1 Bonus Point Each Time You Hit A Gong
Five Times In A Row During A Single Set.

I might just introduce this match to our local .22lr Rifle club this summer. I think for a scoped rifle we would go 5, 4, & 3" gongs from Quality Targets.

Before I knew it I had fire 150 rounds all total from 50 and 100 yards this morning on both paper and metal from the prone position. I'll be sore tomorrow!

It was sure fun!
smile.gif

Re: Gongs At 50 & 100 Yards Today - Prone / Iron Sight

Yes it was. And I'm feeling it now as my shoulders are sore. I shot off my elbows with a sling, and forgot to mention that I used Federal 510B Champion ammo. I didn't want to use my good ammo on gongs, but looking at the overall results I don't feel the 510B performed to bad.
smile.gif