• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gonna build a 6XC

pinzmann

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2005
yucca valley, ca
and am trying to decide on the barrel specs. Will be getting a Bartlein in either light palma or varmint/sendro. Would like to shoot the 115's but considering present supply stock, I will be using Berger 105 and 108's which I already have. What twist are you guys using for these bullets?
Also is there really any advantage of the 5R over a 4 grove? Kinda thinking about doing a 4 grove this time as my other rifles are all 5R.

I'm really enjoying my 6XC so far. I have a Krieger 5R 7.5 twist finished at 26. I think that you would be fine to run the 105s and 115s with a 7.5 twist.

Gonna build a 6XC

7.5 for the 115s. If no 115s you can run an 8. Most people I know shoot the 105s well with a 7.7. I shoot both bullets at 7.5 down to 2800fps with no issues.

Good round, I would likely do a 7.5T, but odds are would stick with 105-108s for what I do, Light Palma at 20-21", really like handy rifles in how I use them.

and am trying to decide on the barrel specs. Will be getting a Bartlein in either light palma or varmint/sendro. Would like to shoot the 115's but considering present supply stock, I will be using Berger 105 and 108's which I already have. What twist are you guys using for these bullets?
Also is there really any advantage of the 5R over a 4 grove? Kinda thinking about doing a 4 grove this time as my other rifles are all 5R.

I've got the 5R in my 6 Creed, it shoots pretty well, doubt a 4 groove will shoot any better. Maybe talk to Frank Green at Bartlein, see what he thinks, guy knows his barrels. I just loaded not 20 mins ago, 10 more 115DTACs for testing in the spring.

What kind of barrel life are you guys getting out of the 6xc?

Don't know, but I just scoped mine, and while it isn't fucked, it's definitely looking well used.

Its got ~650-700 through, 450-500 fireforming 22-250-->6xc @ 2950, and 250-300 full power loads @ 3050.

No difference in 4 and 5grv except how easy it is to clean them. The 5 grooves are not as deeply pitted which is why they are so highly favored by military standards, easier to clean in rough conditions.

My smith swears by Krieger, as the first Bart he ever ordered was a bad one and had to send it back to thirdgenerationshootingsupply to be replaced, and thats the last he worked with. Never had a problem with Krieger.

I went with a 8tw as I never plan to shoot the 115. But if you look at David Tubb, he obviously has done some work with them. You can also heed the warnings to go 7.5 if you are gonna run the 115. Dont forget the pricetag of close to $50/100.

6XC is not something you will jump in to and off the line be able to find exactly everything you want/need. Brass is a whore. If you find it in stock, your looking $1 per brass Norma, and if you want to form 22-250 you best add in about 5 more steps to your reloading process to get them ready.

I've been told that a 6XC if not pushed hard, with the lower grain bullets traveling around 2950-3020, you can expect double barrel life that of a .243 with people saying they have close to, or over, 2,000rnds down range and still going strong.

Brass is same way, David Tubb has often bragged about having close to 20 loads through a single brass before noticing signs of wear that would worry him.

No difference in 4 and 5grv except how easy it is to clean them. The 5 grooves are not as deeply pitted which is why they are so highly favored by military standards, easier to clean in rough conditions.

My smith swears by Krieger, as the first Bart he ever ordered was a bad one and had to send it back to thirdgenerationshootingsupply to be replaced, and thats the last he worked with. Never had a problem with Krieger.

I went with a 8tw as I never plan to shoot the 115. But if you look at David Tubb, he obviously has done some work with them. You can also heed the warnings to go 7.5 if you are gonna run the 115. Dont forget the pricetag of close to $50/100.

6XC is not something you will jump in to and off the line be able to find exactly everything you want/need. Brass is a whore. If you find it in stock, your looking $1 per brass Norma, and if you want to form 22-250 you best add in about 5 more steps to your reloading process to get them ready.

One of the main reasons I went with the 6 Creedmoor, GAP or McCourt always has good Hornady brass and if you wanna go with 22-250 brass it's one step to get them to 6 Creed dimensions, just run the 250 brass thru the 6 Creed sizing dies and fireform, ok, that's 2 steps, really. But the 6Creed Hornady brass is only 63/ea, so you do the math. True there are probably more dies out there for the 6XC(seaters are interchangeable, btw), sizers probably are, too. I really don't know why a person would go to the 6xc over the creedmoor?

EDIT: Got confused on which bullets you are running.

When it comes down to it, and pennys are whats at stake, you can get by cheaper with the CM, but looking at local matches, and other events, I do tend to see the XC coming in over, more often, than the CM.

Which you can also chalk it up to the shooters, someone having a bad day can be out shot by someone new to the game...

Last edited: