• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Good action blueprinting/barreling video??

Re: Good action blueprinting/barreling video??

Wouldn't it be better to line up the lug using a jig and the bottom/front action screw?
Or is it not that important that it's perfect? I would think it's pretty damn important. And the way he did it cant be perfect.

Not that I've ever done that before.

The bolt repair set up 2 video shows why hand bolt lug lapping, especially done incorrectly, is a bad idea.
IMO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wouldn't it be better to line up the lug using a jig and the bottom/front action screw?
Or is it not that important that it's perfect? I would think it's pretty damn important. And the way he did it cant be perfect.

Not that I've ever done that before.</div></div>

Why would indexing the lug off the front action screw hole be better?

This is one of the DVDs I have. It has some good information. The shop is unbelievable.

Barreling DVD

There are some Darrel Holland DVDs available through AGI. The one on supertuning factory rifles is newer than the other one. His techniques have changed over time.

Watch those and then pick Randy's and William's brains. They can tell you the rest of the story.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Al Nyhus</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wouldn't it be better to line up the lug using a jig and the bottom/front action screw?

Not that I've ever done that before.</div></div>

Why would indexing the lug off the front action screw hole be better? </div></div>

I just thought it would be more precise. That way the lug is parallel to the action screws, and there for straight down. Right? Sinclair offers a jig to do this. Not that I'd use their jig, I'd make my own according to the lug I wanted to use. The way the guy in the video did it... there no way he can guarantee it was true. Damn close, but not perfect. He didnt even but the squares against anything. He just eyeballed it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slayer_21420</div><div class="ubbcode-body">good stuff guys, keep them comeing

any suggestions on good dvd's?

Thanks
</div></div>

in my opinion, NOT agi's "custom barreling bolt action rifles".

i have not seen a good dvd yet on action truing. a good book to have on hand is john l. hinnant's "the complete illustrated guide to precision rifle barrel fitting". i don't agree with a lot of what is in there but the section on single point truing of the threads is great if you don't have much lathe experience. after over a year of research, i found the gre-tan truing jig method made the most sense to me. i am not positive but i think he may have a video available for this method. i'd search the web for that or read up on that method.

edit: here is the gre-tan video on action blue printing. it is at the bottom half of the page. i have not watched it so i can't comment on it. link

edit.2: here is the ordering page for the videos. it looks like there are a few topics to choose from: link

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I just thought it would be more precise. That way the lug is parallel to the action screws, and there for straight down. Right? Sinclair offers a jig to do this. Not that I'd use their jig, I'd make my own according to the lug I wanted to use. The way the guy in the video did it... there no way he can guarantee it was true. Damn close, but not perfect. He didnt even but the squares against anything. He just eyeballed it</div></div>

So...you think that the action screw holes are perfectly located relative to the reciever body?

I've spent more than a little time in "..the guy in the video"s shop. And a fair amount of time working on that exact mill in the video. Stan condensed these videos down so that people can get the basic idea w/o boring them by watching the stuff that's self explanatory to most.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Al Nyhus</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I just thought it would be more precise. That way the lug is parallel to the action screws, and there for straight down. Right? Sinclair offers a jig to do this. Not that I'd use their jig, I'd make my own according to the lug I wanted to use. The way the guy in the video did it... there no way he can guarantee it was true. Damn close, but not perfect. He didnt even but the squares against anything. He just eyeballed it</div></div>

So...you think that the action screw holes are perfectly located relative to the reciever body?

</div></div>

i don't have a lot of experience with this but to me it seems that the bolt holes in the receiver would be very relative to the way the action fits into the stock. i would think the recoil lug would be best aligned to them because of that. that is how i see it but i have been wrong before and very well could be now.

Hey I'm not knockin the video. Like I said, I haven't done that before.

But to answer your question yes I think the two receiver holes are are more relative than the scope base. They're damn sure as relative as the scope base holes... which the scope BASE is directly relative to

That relative enough?

So you obviously do it the same way as the video since you work in that shop then right?

+1 on Greg Tannel's videos, not sure I spelled his name correctly.

He spends a great deal of time explaining how he does it, and more importantly why he does it.

Greg Tannel does as good of metal work as I have seen anywhere.
In addition he builds tools and tooling for action truing and other products that show a remarkable insight in form and function.
I have not seen the videos, but I expect that they will be first class as is the rest of his stuff.

Good shooting
Ron

What's relative, as I said before, is that these videos are condensed versions of the operation and not meant to be a step-by-step guide...just an overview of the proceedure. The front base used as the index had already been located on the reciever centerline. I doubt if anyone wanted to see a tutorial on the proper use of a machinists square on a video about pinning a recoil lug.

Hope that clears up any confusion. -Al