• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good all around bench vise.

Pre64

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2019
Can tuck eee
Need advice on a good US made vice, something for holding mower blades, axe heads, all around type things. What size would be good? I see the name Wilton come up a lot.

I really like the Wilton Bullet Vises. Mine is the 4 1/2” Machinist Vise. It has been discontinued but they still have the 4, 5, or 6 inch models. Prices have gone up considerably.

Attachments

• IMG_5312.jpeg
    IMG_5312.jpeg
    755 KB · Views: 43
I really like the Wilton Bullet Vises. Mine is the 4 1/2” Machinist Vise. It has been discontinued but they still have the 4, 5, or 6 inch models. Prices have gone up considerably.
I have a 1950's vintage 5 inch Wilton vise that is super strong but takes up a lot of space. I also have a 90's vintage Craftsman vice similar to this one I use most of the time. Mine was made in the US but I don't know where they are made now.
Craftsman-6-Bench-Vise-Reversible-Jaw-Faces-.jpeg

Reactions: Pre64
Wilton is pretty much the de facto standard by which all others are measured.
Look in any older shop.....Wiltons on the bench and not broken.

Be prepped to shell out the dinero though.

Don’t forget the 419 kit for it. I’d love one but can’t justify it.

For 99% in the home garage harbor freight will do just fine.

For what it's worth I have an old Wilton that's been brazed back together after being broken, and a couple Taiwanese made no-name ones that haven't been broken.

A lot of the Wilton's are made in China and Taiwan also. So be prepared to spend $600+ on a US made one.

These are not American made, but I’ve got one on my bench and it’s done everything I need it to.

The quality is on par with the American made Wiltons that I’ve used. (Some are chicom garbage, gotta watch what you buy)

That at least follows the rule of good cnc machine tools and optics. The best (barring few exceptions) are from places that speak German or Japanese.

New is not necessarily the way to go here. Check out some antique places around you and you should be able to find vintage american hardware that just needs cleaned up for way less dinero. I currently have a 6" craftsman on my bench from the 50's that looked like shit when I bought it for $10. I cleaned the rust off, repainted and it's going to probably be there when I kick the can.

I've bought at least a dozen this way for family n friends over the years, never spent more than $30 and got better than you buy for $300 new.

Need advice on a good US made vice, something for holding mower blades, axe heads, all around type things. What size would be good? I see the name Wilton come up a lot.
I am a firm believer in "you get what you pay for", but spending more than 2k on a vise to hold a ten dollar mower blade while you sharpen it is retarded IMO.

Don't get me wrong I have broken some of the cheap Lowes Chinese vises, but I have no problem buying a new Chicom vise every few years for a couple hundred Washingtons to do the homeowner blade sharping's and random homeowner stuff.

I bought a Wilton with the rotating head as I find it very handy for hanging a rifle vertically when needed for some particular maintence action (e.g. fill bore with solvent to soak).

Not made in USA but I believe none of their vises with rotating heads are made here. And at $250 or so, it was enough to spend on a bench vise for my retired ass.

I’m actually quite happy with it.

1710022332134.png