• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good AR Configuration?

Phil3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
San Ramon, CA
I have pretty much ordered (and received) all I need for an AR15 I am building, and was just looking for some feedback on my selection of parts and performance expectations. Looking for 1/2 MOA at 100 yards, or 1" groups at 200 yards, shot off bags. Can the rifle below do it?

SunDevil biller lower receiver (w/adjustment screw to eliminate slop w/upper).
SunDevil billet upper receiver (octagonal, heavy wall)
Geissele trigger (DMR).
Rock River Arms lower parts kit.
Rock River Arms A2 stock, buffer, and spring.
CProducts magazines.
Young National Match chrome bolt assembly.
Krieger barrel 22" .920" muzzle, 1:9" twist, 223 Remington chamber.
JP Rifles free float tube.
Evolution Gun Works clamp type gas block.
GG&G GS-1 scope rail (1/2" elevation).
Seekins scope rings.
Bushnell 6 - 24 x 50 tactical scope. Model 426245T.
Hand loaded and tuned ammo (55 - 69 grain bullets)

I am building myself and obtained all proper tools to perform proper assembly, including headspacing. I may have receiver face trued, if I can find someone who will do competently.

- Phil

Re: Good AR Configuration?

Hmmm...If you ever want to shoot farther than 200yds consider buying a riser that has some forward cant to it. Or something like the Nightforce unimount which cantilevers forward for better eye relief and can be had with 20MOA of forward cant.

I have that specific model of bushnell 4200. It does not have very much elevation adjustment. Roughly 50 IPHY of overall adjustment travel. I think mine has more like 45. And since it's IPHY, it's a even less travel than if it was MOA. Even with a super hot Mk262-cloned load you'd pretty much be topped off between 600 and 700yds. You probably won't have any room for windage adjustment. But if it's for fairly close range itty bitty groups, that optic setup should be great.

Hopefully the EGW gasblock isn't supposed to go under the handguard, JP tubes are pretty small. Clamping is a great thing though. Setscrew gasblocks will move if the barrel isn't dimpled.

Besides that, I've known some people to have issues with the Young carriers since they're such a tight fit. I guess you should watch out for that if you have any cycling issues.

I've never heard of anyone facing the receiver on an AR. As From all the builds I've done, I don't see how it could do any good. In essence what is a receiver on a bolt action is actually what is considered the "Barrel extension" on an AR. It contains the locking lugs. You might be better served having Krieger have a bolt fitted to that barrel. My CLE barrel has a fitted bolt and it so far shoot great.

For the most part any new bolt from a reputable manufacturer should fit no problem to any AR barrel. What you need is a field gauge in order to double check it.

Thanks for your input. I built this rifle mostly for 200 yard max, since no local range goes longer than that, unless I make a 200 mile round trip. As a result, did not think I would need a canted rail or mount. It does not appear I even need a cantilevered mount, given the short eye relief of the scope (3") and where my head sits on the stock, but may get one anyway for maximum flexibility.

Yes, the rifle is for itty-bitty groups at 100 and 200 yards, so was not much concerned with limited adjustment of the scope. I considered the Bushnell with more adjustment, but I would not be using it. If I shoot 600+ yards, I will be using another upper, with a chamber cut for longer bullets, or another caliber such as 6mmAR.

I was not expecting the EGW gas block to go under the JP float tube, but you do make me wonder if the gas port in the Krieger barrel is going to position the gas block in a location that interferes with the guard. I better check this out. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

The facing is done to ensure that the barrel flange sits on the face of the receiver threaded end in such a way that is in line with the bore of the receiver, and hence the bolt. If the barrel is cinched down without all being square, it is possible the barrel with sit slightly angled to the upper receiver bore and bolt. There are tools on Brownells for fixing this, and at least one prominent AR builder I know does do this work on their rifles.

Krieger will headspace the the bolt and barrel assembly (with my bolt) and assemble, but wanted to do this myself. I almost used CLE, but they would not have my assembly back until mid August at the earliest and that was when I spoke to them over a month ago.

I splurged on the Young bolt assembly. Probably won't do that again, but it does look nice!

Thank you.

- Phil

Sounds like a nice setup.

JP makes an adjustable gas block to go under their handguards, low profile something or nother, in stock at Midway last week.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BOLTRIPPER is very excited for you, OMFG means Wow that's a cool rifle in Texan.</div></div>

.......i just harken back to what a rack grade ar can do w/crap ammo........sumpin like head shots on larue @ 500yd.....

i think you'll be happy. spend some time shooting it instead of pumping more $ into it. probably pay off better in terms accuracy

Wow, that's pretty weird. I was about to post my build, and yours is identical. I have the Sun Devil upper and lower, Youngs National Match bolt, and a Krieger Varmatch 1-9 twist .920 and it's 22 inches. I also have the RRA lpk, but I'll be using the Krieger free float tube, XTR rings and an SS 16x. You chose some fine parts for sure. Goodluck on your build.

Interesting. I've only used Uppers that are of high quality and I take the fact that most of my optics require very little to no windage adjustment in order to zero as a sign that the upper has been made true and square.

I've only checked headspace, never adjusted it. I'm not sure that it's even possible to adjust headspace or fit a bolt to a barrel without a lathe. I'd think that once the barrel extension was installed you're done. Maybe I'm wrong. Inquiring minds want to know.

If you want to assemble yourself, just have krieger fit the bolt, since headspace isn't adjusted during assembly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jccobb2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i think you'll be happy. spend some time shooting it instead of pumping more $ into it. probably pay off better in terms accuracy </div></div>

More money is to be spent...on reloading equipment, so I can afford to practice and shoot accurately. I definitely need some practice, and I tend to shoot a fair number of rounds per visit. - Phil

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ascendancy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, that's pretty weird. I was about to post my build, and yours is identical. I have the Sun Devil upper and lower, Youngs National Match bolt, and a Krieger Varmatch 1-9 twist .920 and it's 22 inches. I also have the RRA lpk, but I'll be using the Krieger free float tube, XTR rings and an SS 16x. You chose some fine parts for sure. Goodluck on your build. </div></div>

Even weirder is that I damn near chose the SS 16x scope, seriously considered the Krieger float tube (did not see a pic of it), and almost bought the XTR rings. I still might for my next upper.

- Phil

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phil3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ascendancy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, that's pretty weird. I was about to post my build, and yours is identical. I have the Sun Devil upper and lower, Youngs National Match bolt, and a Krieger Varmatch 1-9 twist .920 and it's 22 inches. I also have the RRA lpk, but I'll be using the Krieger free float tube, XTR rings and an SS 16x. You chose some fine parts for sure. Goodluck on your build. </div></div>

Even weirder is that I damn near chose the SS 16x scope, seriously considered the Krieger float tube (did not see a pic of it), and almost bought the XTR rings. I still might for my next upper.

- Phil</div></div>

That's just freaky, I just posted my build with a few pics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Hopefully the EGW gasblock isn't supposed to go under the handguard, JP tubes are pretty small. Clamping is a great thing though. Setscrew gasblocks will move if the barrel isn't dimpled.

Besides that, I've known some people to have issues with the Young carriers since they're such a tight fit. I guess you should watch out for that if you have any cycling issues.
</div></div>

I checked and the EGW gas block does fit inside the handguard, but I only did this without a barrel. The barrel may position it so something hits, but will see.

The Young bolt assembly seems actually loose in the SunDevil receiver, but not sure how this is supposed to fit. There is no barrel, but it slides in and out of receiver with no resistance.

- Phil

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.......i just harken back to what a rack grade ar can do w/crap ammo........sumpin like head shots on larue @ 500yd..... </div></div>

My mixmaster parts AR with a BusHamster HBAR (non-ff) does a pretty good job.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phil3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for your input. I built this rifle mostly for 200 yard max, since no local range goes longer than that, unless I make a 200 mile round trip.</div></div>

Make the trip...SacValley is an amazing range, and after shooting at distance, you'll be hooked. Those NCPPRC guys are pretty nice, too... ;-)

-Paul

I have been to SacValley as a guest to a Benchrest shooting competitor who was competing in a match. SacValley is a nice range, and do intend to shoot there, at longer distances with a longer range AR15 (probably 6mmAR - www.6mmAR.com), as well as with a bolt rifle. I always wanted to do long range shooting, so no doubt, I will be hooked.

My current rifle is my short range gun, since I expect I will be shooting more regularly at the local 100 and 200 yard spots.

- Phil