• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good AR308 smith recommendation

Carole Baskins

If I do my part.
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2020
MT
I'm looking for a smith to replace a barrel extention on a Proof 6.5 Creed barrel I bought as part of a basket-case, bubba'd, large frame AR. Any advice? Thanks!

Replacing the extension is the easy part, most likely the index pin and gas port locations would no longer coincide so the port would need too be welded up and re-drilled.

Reactions: bobke
Replacing the extension is the easy part, most likely the index pin and gas port locations would no longer coincide so the port would need too be welded up and re-drilled.
Negative, timing barrel extensions to line up with existing gas ports and the index pin isn't hard. I just had Paul at Compass Lake do that very thing and headspace a new bolt without issue before the whole shitshow started there.

Reactions: LRRPF52
Check with D. Wilson Mfg. He does LMT barrel conversions and may be able to work on yours, even though it's not for an LMT.

https://www.dwilsonmfg.com

I appreciate the referral, but this isn’t something I want to mess with.

As a previous poster mentioned, replacing the extension itself isn’t an issue, it’s getting the alignment with the gas port and headspace to both check out when you do it is the issue.

Precision Firearms or GAP, though they might be too slammed to do it, but that’s where I’d go first.

I’ve had it done before with a short-chambering. Bill A. actually did the work on my Lilja, which is why it’s a 17.6” and not an 18”. That’s my 18”-ish workhorse Grendel. That barrel is light but still shoots and holds rapid strings on-target.

A good machinist knows how to time an extension to match the previous clocking so the gas port stays aligned TDC to 12 o’clock. They have formulae for torque, thread depth, pitch, etc. and the angular rotation needed to land on correct clock position.

I have another source but he is extremely selective on what work he takes in. He’s an artist with machines. His thread jobs look like a CNC did it with polish afterwards. Thread fit is perfect wit no slop at all. Other senior gunsmiths have called him a liar when he told them he did his thread work by hand on his lathe.