• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Good Carry Piece?

Averagejoe

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2008
Behind You!!!
I have been carrying a full size Kimber Custom II 1911 for about 3 years and am just tired of a heavy carry piece. I have HUGE hands so a Small Compact is out of the Question. I am 6'3" 260 and can carry pretty much anything comfortably. My question is What would you carry. I have always been against Glocks because they are composite and I know a few people that have Cracked Trigger Guards and such but would consider one. Please give me some suggestions. I really like 45's but am willing to deviate from this if the gun is Right.

Re: Good Carry Piece?

Joe,
I would like to see one of those "cracked" trigger guards, not calling you a liar but I don't believe it, been around hundreds of Glocks since 1991 and have NEVER, repeat NEVER seen a frame or any part of the "composite" crack. Anyway, I too have very large hands and will tell you my favorite carry piece is a Glock 27 with Pearce Grip Extenders on the mags. Wear it on DeSantis Apache Ankle Holster when concealed or a Fobus G26 holster on a belt. My next purchase will be a Glock 23, which will also work, with the right pants in the Apache Holster, not the most comfortable but it will work. 14 rounds of 155 grain Gold Dots is plenty for anything I need to get out of.

Huge hands?...try a SIG 220. less footprint and 15 ounces lighter tahn a steel frame 1911, .45 and a loooong trigger arc for your HUGE hands.

Glocks are tough, never had one of or witnessed one break in over 20 years using factory ammo.

The Glock 21 feels like a twoxfour to me, but if you have HUGE hands, give it a try.

Or maybe a smith and wesson .500 with a 3 inch barrel?

I will try to find to 2 I have seen here on the hide in the last 6 months.. I'm not sure if the people that I know here took pictures of there's but I will also ask them..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: koolnhard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Huge hands?...try a SIG 220. less footprint and 15 ounces lighter tahn a steel frame 1911, .45 and a loooong trigger arc for your HUGE hands.

Glocks are tough, never had one of or witnessed one break in over 20 years using factory ammo.

The Glock 21 feels like a twoxfour to me, but if you have HUGE hands, give it a try.

Or maybe a smith and wesson .500 with a 3 inch barrel? </div></div>

I have 2 S&W Model 500 50 Cal's 1 In performance center and 1 in Standard. Looking for a Semi. I did have a P220 about 5 years ago but sold it when I got on my 1911 kick...

how about a kimber tactical? one with an aluminum frame. a lil lighter. oh ooh, jus remembered just got a Sig P250 in the other day and it's a SWEET piece. check 'em out. the pics on sigs website kinda suck ya need to get your hands on one to appreciate it.

The only time that I know a Glock doesn't work is when you take the firing pin out. All kidding aside, it's pretty damn hard to make a Glock malfunction or break. You should check some of the torture tests they have over the Glocktalk.com.

I have tried to make mine malfunction. So far, I haven't any success. Now if you introduce Mr. Glock to Mr. Sledge hammer then it's a different story. I think I am going to break before my Glock breaks. If you like 45 ACP, the Glock 30 is for you then. The stock is a bit short, but otherwise, no complaint.

Look at the M&P. It has interchangeable grip backstraps so you can fit it to you.

I compete and shoot with 1911's but the glock 27 has been my carry for 9 years.
Simple, durable, about maintenance free, never a failure to feed or fire regardless
of the loads, acceptable accuracy and cheap. I would think you would prefer a larger model than the 27.

I shot 26,000 rds through my glock 17 in one season of three gun and didnt clean it as a test not a single hick up.I have three glocks 26,17,and 32 and cant say a bad thing about them.

AJ,

Don't discount compacts because of grip size alone.There are at least a couple of companies that make grip extensions that fit on the mag for people with big hands like yourself.

Also a lightweight titanium or aluminum framed 1911 full size,commander,or officer size would work too.

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sig 229 </div></div>
What happened to buying American???
shocked.gif

I carry a P7. Only pistol I like shooting as much as a 1911 and it is compact & easy to conceal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how about a kimber tactical? one with an aluminum frame. a lil lighter. oh ooh, jus remembered just got a Sig P250 in the other day and it's a SWEET piece. check 'em out. the pics on sigs website kinda suck ya need to get your hands on one to appreciate it. </div></div>

Hunter,

X2 on the Custom Tac II, My 5" is lighter than my Kimber Raptor Pro. For you Glock fans, I carried my G 21 for a decade, and my hands are not that big. I invested fairly heavily in the G 30 for CCW but am still not tickled pink about the mag change with the gun still in battery. Granted, making the front sight your best friend and a smooth trigger squeeze will resolve many requirements for a reload, I am still looking for a solution.

Bottom line, Try the Kimber Custom Tac II

Don't forget to practice

My $.02

If a compact 1911 is still too heavy, you're going to end up with a polymer frame. G19/23 or HK USP Compact will probably be your best bets. A Sig 229 in .40 would be a nice fit for your hand size, but that won't get you the weight reduction you are looking for.

I'm 6"3 about 250 and wear size 15 ring so I know what you mean about handsize. I have 3 Sigs 220,226 and 229. I love my Sigs but now I mostly carry a Kahr CW9 in a Bianci holster. It took a little getting used to a smaller gun but I find I am a lot more apt to carry all the time. These are also available in 40 and 45, though the 45 is a little larger. The 9 and the 40 can be had for around 400.00 new so they are a pretty good deal. If you haven't looked at a Kahr might be worth checking out. I have been satisfied with mine.

I've got as S&W 642 38 special - LOVE it.

I just bought a Cobra Derringer (Formerly known as Davis) from a hide member here- cheap but effective - two 9mm rounds....maybe all I need in certain situations....I hope to never need Martial Arts OR a gun but having both is a confidence booster when I have to make a late night run to the store.

I would carry a HK USP in 45ACP, 357sig or Glock in 357sig. I really like the 357sig round, 1400fps with around a 140grn bullet is going to put most guys down with 1 shot. I either carry a 45 or 357sig. My two carry guns are HK USP45 and Glock 33. But the Glock 33 is going to be a little small for someone as big as yourself.

The P220 is another proven 45 as well. Get what fits your hand the best in your favorite caliber! Thats what I did.

AJ, FWIW, I am a competitive strength athlete at a bit over 5'7 and 260 lbs. I wear a 2X glove and a size 14 ring so have larger than average hands.

I carried a P220 for years and feel it is the best combat gun I have ever carried, but.... and there is always a but, today I carry a modified G23 from Dale over at Grip Reductions, (http://www.gripreductions.com/index.htm) in cold weather and a G27 in hot weather.

Dale put a beaver tail and smoothed out the finger grooves, which actually made it feel like he increased the grip size on the G23, and I use Pearce X2 magazine extensions on the G27 with a Hogue slip-on. I find that I can control either pistol easily.

I also vote for the S&W 327 revolver if 8 shots of 357 doesn't get the job done you are in some serious shit.

springfield arms xd 45 service with thumb safety. 13 and 1 rounds of .45 acp.

I'v got a Kimber Pro Carry in commander size with AI frame. Its super light and ultra accurate. Just a little more kick then a steel frame. Great package and nice and light.

When I'm not in Wisconsin:

Autos
- Colt LW commander (pre-70s model or my 0 series XS (not XSE)) (45ACP)
- Sig 1911 GSR carry (commander length slide with officers frame)(45ACP)
- Sig p229 SAS Gen 2 (40S&W)

Wheel Guns
- S&W 640 (357 mag)
- S&W 625 (45ACP)