• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good case trimmer for the money

BILLLONGTHOOTH

Private
Minuteman
May 3, 2018
Needs some guidance on a good case trimmer that wont break the bank. Fairly new to reloading and i am looking at getting a case trimmer . What are some good options ? Thanks guys

Everyone will say Giraud, $500. I haven't used it, but good reviews. If you're looking for just a basic one. The Wilson case trimmer is not bad. Bought a Lyman my first time, big mistake. But, everyone has there preference, or opinion. I say just find one that fits you, and go with it.

For the money and ease of use I like the Lyman brass smith case trimmer. Indexes off the shoulder, comes with plenty of collets in a great package. The giruad is great if you have the money. But that's alot of coin, what calibers do you plan on trimming on it?

Reactions: acudaowner
World's finest is quick and easy as long you don't mind chamfering/ deburing after. I haven't tried their new one (WTF II) but that looks pretty good since you can just get insets.

But .. If I would do it again, I'd just get a Giraud and be done. Resell is great, if you end up getting out of it you'll get most your money back.

“...that won’t break the bank.”
Does your bank look like this:
Sweet-Piggy-bank.jpg

or more like this:
gold-bars-in-bank-vault.jpg

?

IMHO there is the Giraud and then everything else. I honestly don’t think it’s worth spending a bunch of money unless there is a significant time savings. I have the big Hornady station, and it’s great, but I can do a hundred in the Giraud before I’ve done ten on that thing.

• Love
Reactions: acudaowner
The only thing I didn't like about the wft is its caliber specific, the Lyman prob covers 90 percent of what people use and everything is included.

Reactions: teller01
Needs some guidance on a good case trimmer that wont break the bank. Fairly new to reloading and i am looking at getting a case trimmer . What are some good options ? Thanks guys

For someone on a budget, I'd highly recommend the Trim-It II as it does just as good a job and just as fast as the Giraud Tri-Way. I use the Giraud and if I had to begin again, I'd go with the Trim-It II. You WON'T be sorry.

For someone on a budget, I'd highly recommend the Trim-It II as it does just as good a job and just as fast as the Giraud Tri-Way. I use the Giraud and if I had to begin again, I'd go with the Trim-It II. You WON'T be sorry.

Forgot about the trim-it ..do you have any experience on how it compares to WTF? My hands are cramped to hell after trimming, chamfering, deburring 100 rounds of 223

That 3in1 Trim-It II it looks slick.

I have a WFT for bulk fodder. I prefer exact OACL on Precision rounds so I use a Forster classic with the 3in1 head and drill attachment. $150

Roughly 10 seconds a case.

Each round is exact length, perfect chamfer inside and out and I can attach a small drill.

Time is money, take care of 3 steps in 1.

20200130_201940.jpg

Tried the Hornady one but was getting inconsistent lengths and no chamfer.

Last edited:
Forgot about the trim-it ..do you have any experience on how it compares to WTF? My hands are cramped to hell after trimming, chamfering, deburring 100 rounds of 223

It's very similar to Giraud's Tri-Way trimmer and uses virtually the same carbide blade. I find the Trim-It II is easier to make adjustments than the Tri-Way. And with the Trim-It you can change out the variaour caliber dies you may need if your reloading a number of different calibers, opposed to Tri-Way where you have to buy separate unites for each caliber and that runs as at a much higher cost unless one goes with Giraud's bench model. Either one, Trim-It or Tri-Way can be a little awkward for some people in having to hold a powder drill or whatever. But I don't find it to be much of a problem and trimming 100 cases only takes a few minutes and then done with trimming, chamfering and deburring . . . all at once. I find it's easy on the hands, though I do like to use a light non-slip glove on my hand holding the cases as it makes it easier to have a more relaxed hand when feeding the cases into the spinning blade.

Here's a pic of Trim-It's blade:

Attachments

• Carbide Blade.jpg
    Carbide Blade.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 92
Reactions: 4066.5
Lyman E-Zee Trim and a drill. Does all my brass within .002 every time. I also do a

Worlds Finest Trimmer for higher volume 223 stuff.

ezeetrim01.jpg

TBH I only flash hole because I made the mistake of sticking a borescope in it. Not that it makes a difference, it helps me sleep at night.
I mean, when you uniform a flash hole, it makes a more better "rocket nozzle" effect for the primer blast to expand out in all directions to ignite the powder akin to a uniform crown on the muzzle of the rifle barrel.

In my opinion better uniformity can only improve what you got going on with the powder ignition process.

I just choose not to add that process to my brass prep. If I was doing benchrest or some other super-duper precision shooting, then I would probably add that step.

I mean, when you uniform a flash hole, it makes a more better "rocket nozzle" effect for the primer blast to expand out in all directions to ignite the powder akin to a uniform crown on the muzzle of the rifle barrel.

In my opinion better uniformity can only improve what you got going on with the powder ignition process.

I just choose not to add that process to my brass prep. If I was doing benchrest or some other super-duper precision shooting, then I would probably add that step.

Yeah that's what I tell myself to justify it.

+1 on the Frankford Arsenal Case Prep Center. Trim, debur, chamfer and clean pockets in about 20 seconds. Can't get any easier.

I've used virtually all the trimmers on the market. I'm going to drop a few cents in....
Wilson is probably the most consistent, trim it and wft are good designs that make quick work of trimming, Girard is excellent (set up can be a pain in the ass for multi caliber use. Same goes for the trim it 2) and fuck locking each case head in a holder to trim it.

If within your budget, I really like the Frankford Arsenal Case Prep center. Trims, deburs and chamfers. Mine works well and I wouldn’t be without it.

John

Since I started reloading, I trimmed everything on my RCBS hand trimmer. I eventually started using my drill in the end to speed up the process.

When I started looking at replacements, I looked at the WFT, Trim-It2, and the Tri-Way.

WFT: price was good considering multi caliber options. However, I did not like the fact that I STILL had to debut and chamfer

Trim-It: same as WFT as the price was good for the multi cal options. The adjustments look great too. But I wanted to not have to readjust every time I switched cartridges.

Tri-Way: I went with the Tri-Way because when I want to trim, I just grab it and go. No need to readjust. This was the best choice for me. It cost more than the other two options, but I’m doing this for convenience and time-savings.

I run the Tri-Way in the cartridges I run the most, 556, 300 BO, & 308.

If I were to do it all over, I’d just start out with the original Giraud and get the cartridges I need. Maybe someday!

Are Lee trimmers good if you don't have a lot to do?
What are the drawbacks to them?
The stud with flash hole guide? It’s fine but slow. Better with the drill attach shell holder. Dulls quickly though so you start smearing them shorter instead of cutting. But cheap.

The press mounted version? Cant say.

Are Lee trimmers good if you don't have a lot to do?
What are the drawbacks to them?
I used this for 2-3000 rounds only 308 lapua brass 300 matching lot number. It indexes off the primer hole on the inside, I took the wooden ball of and used it in my cordless drill it worked great. It would consistently trim to within a couple of thou on the lapua cases, I tried it with fgmm cases and it was a nogo, 15 thou of variation. Just my experience ymmv. Lee makes great stuff for the beginner.

For the money AND ease of use with multiple calibers?
AIN"T a da-da-damn thing faster than a

L.E. Wilson CT-SSKIT​

I have these two:

L.E.-Wilson-Case-Trimmer-Banner-Image-2000-yellow-band.jpg

p_749013150_2.jpg

Collet style is for aggravation.

I've been using the little Lee doodad with the wooden ball handle... I pulled the wooden ball off of the cutter and chuck it in the lathe. Slow as molasses in January, but I manage to keep +/- .001 on my length. Still have to deburr and chamfer though.

Something quick and consistent that does all the steps without paying a King's ransom would be nice.

Mike

Henderson. Quarter twist of the handle and the brass is locked solid for the triple cutter. If not H, Giraud, but I haven't used one.

Either way, you want a tri-way head and power (either a drill mounted option or pre-motorized).

Have owned Giraud, Henderson, Wilson and waiting for the trimmer head for the 21st century.

Sold Giraud for Henderson as it’s easier on the hands than a giraud. Likely going to sell the Henderson soon since I won’t be selling the 21st century and don’t need them both.

For speed and comfort, I don’t think you can heat the Henderson. Unless rigging an amp mate to work with Giraud.

Have owned Giraud, Henderson, Wilson and waiting for the trimmer head for the 21st century.

Sold Giraud for Henderson as it’s easier on the hands than a giraud. Likely going to sell the Henderson soon since I won’t be selling the 21st century and don’t need them both.

For speed and comfort, I don’t think you can heat the Henderson. Unless rigging an amp mate to work with Giraud.

Just found out Henderson is working on a large case (338 - 50) version. Quite happy as I didn't have any really good options for my new 37XC.

21st century has a case trimmer?

Just found out Henderson is working on a large case (338 - 50) version. Quite happy as I didn't have any really good options for my new 37XC.

I’m fairly sure the 21st lathe with work. At least I hope so. I ordered a holder for 300 Norma and a 30cal trimming arbor.

I like the Lyman case trimmer but this thing looks ineradicable the price is way outside my pockets limits but dreaming is fun

also pricey but slick

Last edited:
I found one of these for less than $40 and as long as your precise on your set up it works really well.

^^yep. The FA trimmer is solid, and not just for the money even though it's dirt cheap (as long as you already own a fairly decent cordless drill).

I thought for sure I'd end up buying a Giraud (my buddy has one so I've used one and they are pretty great), or maybe a Henderson, but honestly the FA trimmer + Dewalt 18v or even a smaller Milwaukee 12v drill is pretty awesome. It doesn't chamfer/deburr at the same time, but dare I say it actually trims as good or better than the Giraud and is actually much faster: about half a second per case, set drill to the fastest setting available (usually the drill icon + #2) and by the time you've felt it make contact and have started to give the case a little twist you've already been done with that one and should already be on to the next, it waits on you... All my cases end up within a thou too.

IDK about the Henderson, but the Giraud's motor, and all of the "lunchbox" type trim stations aren't even in the same league as just about any modern lithium ion drill's motor.

I use this after for chamfer/deburr: https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/00005050180/lock-n-load-case-prep-duo
- looks dumb, actually works great, and is fast as well (battery is only good for ~200 cases per charge though).

I think the FA trimmer + Hornady Duo was like ~$100 for both, cheap enough where there's really no more excuse why everyone can't trim every load cycle.

Last edited: