• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Good compromise AR optic?

Beef82

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2011
NC
Considering scopes for my 18" 5.56 AR. It will see use hunting, anything from distant varmints to short range deer, but primarily be used on the range at stationary targets, inside 600yds, most likely inside 200, I like chasing groups more than banging steel most days, may test the waters of multi-gun with it, but that is not the rifles primary function at this point.

Would like to keep cost under $500. I have no valid need for FFP, illumination, exposed knobs, ranging or BDC reticles on this rifle, not against, just not seeking.

Would like it fairly compact/light, variable, somewhere between 1-10 power, lower on the bottom I think would be better than a higher max but I don't think 4X is quite enough, good FOV, fine/precise reticle and excellent lowlight dawn/dusk performance.

Can anyone make any suggestions?

Or any opinions on the scopes I'm currently considering? Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10, Leupold VX-R 2-7, Burris MTAC 1.5-6 kinda random, selection and I'm thinking the MTAC is out due to reticle, but each caught my attention for various reasons.

TIA

Re: Good compromise AR optic?

I have a Vortex PST 2.5-10x44 on my AR15 and it has worked out very well for me. I know they're advertised at $600 but you can usually find a used one for about $500.

If I ever receive my 1-6 from the SWFA Group buy, I'll let you know how that works! It will be going on my 14.5 inch AR. I have been happy with their other models on my other rifles. They do make a 3-9 for 599.00 and a fixed 10X for 399.00 ( I have 2). It really comes down to it's intended use, close in vs. distance. When I build an 18" it will most likely get at least a 10X. In the meantime the the 14.5 will get the 1-6 on a quick disconnect mount and I'll have a 10X on the same style mount. It's going to ultimately cost more, but it will be the best of both worlds and I won't have to compromise.

The Burris is hard to beat. I have the 3.5 - 10 on an ar and love it. Really surprised how well it works in low light. I use it as a priare dog gun and couldn't be happier. Lot of scope for the price I think.

I am running a Vortex Viper PST 2-10x44 on one of mine and I am very pleased with it so far. I bought mine used from one of the guys on here but give Sport Optics a call, they have excellent pricing and they are really good guys to deal with.

Thanks for the replies, the SS 3-9 looks pretty nice. Wish I could spring for more, but I really need to keep it under $500, and would prefer new, I know Vortex has a fully transferable warranty, but I'm just not comfortable with buying used by mail.
Any thoughts on the listed optics?
How bout the Weaver Super Slam 1.5-6?
Thanks again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beef</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the replies, the SS 3-9 looks pretty nice. Wish I could spring for more, but I really need to keep it under $500, and would prefer new, I know Vortex has a fully transferable warranty, but I'm just not comfortable with buying used by mail.
Any thoughts on the listed optics?
How bout the Weaver Super Slam 1.5-6?
Thanks again. </div></div>

It's easy to get pulled in by more expensive optics, they are clearer, but the Vortex, Burris, and Weaver all should be solid at that price point (within $50 of each other).

Weavers generally get pretty good reviews for the money, good glass and well made, again, for the money.

If you like the reticle and magnification, might be a good one for you in your price range. Natchezss has them at a good price ($390) and there is a $50 rebate. Seems very tough to beat at that price.

If you want more mag, the vortex should be solid too.

Just came across that myself. Pretty sure I'll have the Weaver inbound shortly, thanks.

No problem. I happen to be helping my brother-in-law get set up with his first rifle, and he is at the optic stage. He has been looking in roughly the same price range . . .

If you go with the Weaver, let us know how you like it.