• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Good deals on glass in Europe?

58blackflag

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 30, 2012
SC
I'm headed to France in November for a trip and was wondering if any high end glass is available to buy at a discount to the available price here in the US? Our main destination is Paris but we will probably venture outside of France sometime during our trip. Has anyone found good deals while shopping in Europe?

Thanks!

Good to great prices, optics-world.nl has the 3-27x56 S&B on sale for $4,869 for example.
You typically would have to declare your purchase on reentry to the US though, and would therefore be subject to the 16% scope duty.

The mentioned site has some good deals at times and a large selection.
But as the dollar course has been the last few years your likely to find better deals in the US. Mil-optics.de is a good place to look if your looking for Hensoldt scopes, being the Main civilian vendor of these.

If you buy over there, make sure the country offers VAT refunds on larger purchases. Or have the scope shipped home and sold ex-VAT.

VAT can be 15 - 20%. Prices advertised normally include VAT.

I'm going to be in Germany next month for a week and was wondering the same thing. Well, until I decided to pick up a BEAST off of the board here... U-S-A! U-S-A! :D

I'm still going to be watching this thread out of curiosity. In my weak ass research, it didn't look like it would pay off for me and would be a hassle to boot.

I've been fortunate to travel to western Europe with my wife around 6-8 times in last 16 years. Most of my trips, had a rental car we put 1000 or so miles on traveling around. Have seen my share of Western European cities and etc. Never have found a sporting goods type store with any gun related items such as scopes and etc. Yea, I'm sure they have them, but darn if I've ever come across one. Nations visited were: Ireland, Britain, Sweden, Netherlands, France, Luxemburg, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Czech Republic.

They do exist.

There is was a nice gun store next to the Beer Museum in Pilzen, Czech Republic.

Frankfurt Airport has a store in duty free that sells cameras and electronics, they have spotting scopes.