• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good electronic dispenser under $400?

ubet

Private
Minuteman
May 28, 2008
Commifornia no longer
For years I had been using a manual powder dispenser and beam scale. But I am over it and want something electronic, but I am not willing to spend the money of the v4 at. I don't shoot enough pr to justify that expense. I usually just shoot for fun out to 750yds or so, a few times a year. Most of my reloading anymore is for 556 and 45acp, not the 308win. But I digress....

I have seen videos and stuff on the fa intellidrop and a few on the charge master supreme. Are their any other options out there anyone would suggest, and would I be better off with the fa or rcbs supreme?

I use the RCBS Chargemaster link for 308, 6.5 Creedmoor and 300 PRC, and I tale those rounds out to long range (up to a mile). The dispenser overthrows charges every now and then, so I make sure to double check it with another scale that I trust. Nothing that removing a few kernels or sticks of powder with a tweezer can't fix. I'd think the RCBS Supreme would be just as good if not better than the link.

I’ve tried the hornady auto charge pro, and the rcbs charge master. I personally prefer the hornady. I personally really like how hornady gives you control of exactly how the speed of the trickle is performed. The slow setting is also very accurate on the hornady based on my checks with an accurate scale. But both of those that I tried are pretty dang good.

Reactions: DubfromGA
I second the chargemaster link. I got one from the kids for christmas and already love it compared to the beam scale and trickler. I am sure I will still trickle if I feel the need to try to be really precise but it is very consistent. Out of 50 i did get one over or under but just look at the screen and if it's off dump it and throw another charge.

chargemaster link and lite are badass little units. can't go wrong

Reactions: Franko
At risk of sounding like a hypocrite since I still own several ChargeMasters....

I will suggest you borrow one or get a good in person demo.

For many folks in the OPs position, the CM doesn't offer enough speed or automation when their batch sizes are small. When their batch sizes get large, they will find they have to run multiple CM units to keep their flow.

The electronic dispenser will allow you to relax a little, but you may get frustrated with the slow speed and over-throws, and loose charge tolerances.

One thing the CM can do well is reduce the fatigue level since you don't have to focus on the work the way you do when you hand trickle. You can relax a moment while you wait and then focus on moving the charge into the cases and/or seating between waiting.

Most folks who hand trickle with a decent beam balance can out perform and out pace a single low-end electronic dispenser. Their CM tact times are often >20 seconds and their actual performance tolerance is on the order of 0.25 - 0.3 grains ES.

I would suggest you visit someone who will run it or let you try it yourself. You may find you don't benefit unless you want to reduce the fatigue factor and don't mind the slow rate and loose tolerance.

Good Luck and Happy New Year!

At risk of sounding like a hypocrite since I still own several ChargeMasters....

For many folks in the OPs position, the CM doesn't offer enough speed or automation when their batch sizes are small. When their batch sizes get large, they will find they have to run multiple CM units to keep their flow.

The electronic dispenser will allow you to relax a little, but you may get frustrated with the slow speed and over-throws, and loose charge tolerances.

One thing the CM can do well is reduce the fatigue level since you don't have to focus on the work the way you do when you hand trickle. You can relax a moment while you wait and then focus on moving the charge into the cases and/or seating between waiting.

Most folks who hand trickle with a decent beam balance can out perform and out pace a single low-end electronic dispenser. Their CM tact times are often >20 seconds and their actual performance tolerance is on the order of 0.25 - 0.3 grains ES.

I would suggest you visit someone who will run it or let you try it yourself. You may find you don't benefit unless you want to reduce the fatigue factor and don't mind the slow rate and loose tolerance.

Buy two charge masters if you really want to go fast

This. I did notice the chargemaster wasn’t quite as accurate as the hornady. I’ve heard great things about the Frankfort arsenal one, but haven’t tried it out. Honestly if you have the ability to I would definitely try them in person. That can really save you a lot of time and money.

I have the chargemaster link and it works quite well. Loading 223 by the time I seat the bullet and put it in the box another charge is ready.

AutoTrickler is $1070. It's been about that much for a long time.

You get a great trickler AND an accurate, stand-alone electronic scale. A big chunk of the price is the scale.

To me, unless you go for a unit with a good scale, the trickler is less than useful.

RCBS Chargemaster Link is a great scale for the money. But if you can spend $30 more than your budget, get the Chargemaster Supreme.

I’m pretty happy with the hornady lock n load.. I hated it at first and it took me a while to figure out how to set it to start tricking sooner and it about defaults to factory settings once powered down but after figuring it out, Im pretty happy. By the time I seat bullet, next charge is ready… loading for 7mag, .308, .300 PRC, .300WSM, 6.5cm, 6.5prc, and .458 socom.

Buy two charge masters if you really want to go fast
The problem with two charge masters – and I have done that and sold them exactly 2 years ago – is that you have to label the pans or make them the same weight and not mix them up, and now, instead of one scale drifting you have two scales drifting Possibly different amounts or different directions. I think the issue of combining scales along with their drift is a prescription for building ammo within consistent charge weights.

In order to speed up the process with the charge master, I recommend a bulk drop from a uniflow powder, measure or similar, and allow the charge master to top it off while I’m doing something else

AutoTrickler is $1070. It's been about that much for a long time.

You get a great trickler AND an accurate, stand-alone electronic scale. A big chunk of the price is the scale.

To me, unless you go for a unit with a good scale, the trickler is less than useful.
Another option is to buy the A&D, FX scale, use a Uni flow dispenser and hand trickle until the ingenuity precision device comes out and then pick up a used auto trickle for about $250

Reactions: Compadre
Thank you everyone. I know the expensive options are best. But I’ve just dumped a bunch of cash for other stuff. I can’t justify even to myself a $1100 system, right now.

Unfortunately I don’t have anyone around that I could try any of the dispensers mentioned. There is a scheels though with a great return policy. That might be my best option.

Between the fa intelidrop and the supreme, any suggestions or preferences?

Thank you everyone. I know the expensive options are best. But I’ve just dumped a bunch of cash for other stuff. I can’t justify even to myself a $1100 system, right now.

Unfortunately I don’t have anyone around that I could try any of the dispensers mentioned. There is a scheels though with a great return policy. That might be my best option.

Chargemaster lite

Reactions: secondofangle2

Then get the cheapest one you can like the Intel dropper and throw the bulk throws yourself and then let it top off each load

Scheels is awesome about returns....get the CM Link for $300 bucks it will do what you need without braking the bank and if you don't like it exchange it or get your money back.

The problem with two charge masters – and I have done that and sold them exactly 2 years ago – is that you have to label the pans or make them the same weight and not mix them up, and now, instead of one scale drifting you have two scales drifting Possibly different amounts or different directions. I think the issue of combining scales along with their drift is a prescription for building ammo within consistent charge weights.

In order to speed up the process with the charge master, I recommend a bulk drop from a uniflow powder, measure or similar, and allow the charge master to top it off while I’m doing something else

I was shooting between 6.5-7sd on 20 shot strings using two charge masters with my f class gun. I wouldn’t worry about it