• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good Feels and Equipment Trickle Down

shmuckatelli

Private
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2023
MS
This was posted by some folks in my area. It’s definitely a feel-good type deal but what I thought was interesting was the use of equipment. I’m new to this forum and new to a lot of the intricacies involved in ballistics and equipment so maybe I’m easily impressed but I thought the adaptation of competition style equipment in this situation was cool. The strides to make tri-pods lighter and the systems more stable has (probably) enabled more people to hunt and made the task of the guides a lot easier as well. Reminds me a lot of war time = significant jumps in trauma medicine.
IMG_0431.png
IMG_0432.png

Hunters have been using tripods for a long time now. I'd venture to say probably longer than competitors have. The adaptation into competition is likely what ramped up the innovation of the technology though.

Hunters have been using tripods for a long time now. I'd venture to say probably longer than competitors have. The adaptation into competition is likely what ramped up the innovation of the technology though.

Arquebusiers and those fortress defenders tasked with firing those HUGE muskets called falconets during the Renaissance and the era of pike and shot in Europe had been using forked rests, a practice which started with Italian crossbowmen even earlier. In the paintings of the colonists in the New World hunting bears, they are also using stick rests for their rifles. The strict military drills that dominated armies in the Napoleonic era did away with rests for rank and file troops in order to achieve Borg like uniformity and single-minded acting, but elite commando units like Sharpe's Rifles, who engaged Napoleon's forces throughout the French and coastal campaigns, used all kinds of issued and innovative aiming aids to deliver accurate and long range hits. It was lifesaving too because these units were almost always severely outnumbered by their enemies.