• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good for 3 gun?

Dustoff82

Private
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2011
Texas
I bought a varminter WOA upper in 18" that im going to use for 3 gun, and for someone reason I missed the part about it being a bull barrel. Now that ive got it and broken it in, im worried now that I wont be able to use it in 3gun. I shoot in Tac Optics, will I be able to use it in this class?

Re: Good for 3 gun?

Why would you NOT be able to use it in TO?

Itll be heavier than some other rifles but will be just fine.

You can use it in 3 gun and any other comps that i am aware of.
It may not fall into the "tacticool" category, but that only matters if you care about such things.

Or get a less expensive M4 style upper, throw a 1-? scope on it and you are good to go. that is the beauty of AR's pop two pins swap uppers and voila whole new rifle.
hope this helps.

It will work fine for 3 gun. Shoot it as is and see what you think. You can always have it turned down to .750 in front of the GB if you think it is too front heavy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GreatGonzo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The real advantage of a heavy gun is super fast double taps on short targets. You should be fine. </div></div>

and extra weight will help you on the standing position!
It is legal in tac-ops, it's the length that needs to be no more than 20"

When you're talking bull barrel you mean it's close to 1" diameter? If that's the case I would rethink it. Sounds too heavy considering most 3-Gun is shot off hand. That's a lot of weight to be swinging around.

This is the barrel on my current 3-Gun rifle that I also use for field carbine matches out to 550 yards.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/431749/...l-black-pre-ban

It's big and heavy and wears an AAC brake on the end while I wait for my Form 4 to come back for the Mini4 Suppressor... I really think it's too heavy and it's .25" thinner when what you're getting. I will go a different route when I shoot this one out. But with my 75gr loads it'a .25 MOA gun for the most part. You really don't need that kind of accuracy for 3-Gun. If it shoots MOA you're good.

Its close to 1" diameter. The rifle unloaded weighs 9.9lbs. I don't have break on it yet.

I run a 18 inch for 3 gun
won 1st in Tactical Rifle 3 years in a row up here
IMG_0024.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dustoff82</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its close to 1" diameter. The rifle unloaded weighs 9.9lbs. I don't have break on it yet. </div></div>

My 3 gun rifle weighs over 10 lbs and I wouldn't have it any other way. It has virtually no recoil (with a Miculek brake) and points very well. I have a friend who was using an M4 type setup and not doing very well, and wondered what I was doing right and he was doing wrong. I told him it's not me, it's the rifle. He started using his 'varmint' upper and said "It's like cheating!" Run what you've got and go from there, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

-Dan

Well, I spent $500+ bucks on a complete upper, and many of yall say to stick with it, so ima stick with it. It is heavy, but I bet when it comes time to compete with it, ill be hopped up on adrenaline and wont notice the weight as much.