• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good "generic" bag setup for PRS beginner?

MikeMcCasland

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2011
Hey Guys,

I finished up building a PRS rig and I'm planning to enter my first match. I've shot a bunch of F-Class, but never done anything PRS related. I'm so ignorant to this stuff, don't really know the right questions to ask; apologies in advance for that.

I have a rifle setup with an McMillan A6-PRS stock (no butt hook), with a 4" pic rail up front (none of the ARCA rail stuff). Bipod is one of those older atlas ones; it's not the wide stance type.

I really just need recommendations for a decent rear bag (squeeze bag I guess? I have a bunch of eared F-class heavy bags), and I assume some kind of generic front bag for shooting off randomly shaped obstacles/barriers?

I'm not trying to gear whore it up before I go out to my first match; I've seen a ton of guys make that mistake in F-Class. Just want the basics. Cost isn't a huge concern, but I'm not looking for bags made of shaman-blessed zebra skin either. Just a "jack of all trades" type setup that can let me test the waters to see if I even like shooting PRS.

I see a few years back folks were running a "game changer", but I've also heard about a "fortune cookie"? Not sure if it matters much, or if someone has invented a measurably better mousetrap in late 2021?

Any suggestions?

GameChanger is my main front bag, and also my favorite rear bag. Buy a mini Arca plate from Gray ops as well. The plate plus a gamechanger is rock steady on props.

An Armageddon gear "Big Ass" fat bag is my go to positional support bag for rooftops, tires, etc.

I shoot probably 80% of stages with some combination of those 3 items.

Reactions: MikeMcCasland
Thanks guys.

Any rear bag that would work in a lot of circumstances? The only ones I have are Protektor & SEB rear bags with heavy sand lol.

Regarding the tripod/binos, I have a Razor spotting scope. I assume that would work?

Thanks guys.

Any rear bag that would work in a lot of circumstances? The only ones I have are Protektor & SEB rear bags with heavy sand lol.

Regarding the tripod/binos, I have a Razor spotting scope. I assume that would work?
Binos are my go to less eye strain and my experience its alot easier to see trace.

Thanks guys.

It takes a bit getting used to using a Gamechanger as a rear bag, But it's extremely steady and very versatile for different heights in the rear. You can use 1 ear, flip it on it's side for less elevation, flip it on it's end for more elevation, etc....

It's very handy to have as a rear bag when shooting prone but your targets are potentially varying heights across a hill or something.

I ran all matches the other year (6 matches, plus about 10 club ones, plus rimfire matches) with a pint sized only. Did it as a test for "minimum as possible".

Go the schmedium. They are great. Also I wanna try the new wiebad medium fortune cookie. Looks the goods.

I have a few custom bags I use now. Currently I'm in the "try everything and see what works" routine, so don't mind screwing up and learning.

I tried all kinds of bags over the years from all the makers, but I've really found I only use three or four for 90+% of my shooting. I've used a Gamechanger for about 6 years, a tactical udder for about 4 or 5, a Traust gamer bag, and the Precision Underground rear bag since they were released. The other bags just gather dust now

Reactions: iceng
Appreciate it guys.

How do yall carry all this stuff around? Just via backpack, or wagon or something?

Most guys hump it with a pack. Some have carts, or use the tactical baby carriage set up.

I used an Eberlestock J107 Dragonfly for years. This season I switched to the new Eberlestock R3 Upranger. The Upranger has been a huge improvement in keeping organized.

How do you take care of the wax canvas bags? Do you have to reapply the wax coating?
Most guys reapply it At various intervals based on preference. It's pretty straight forward to do. Joel wise has a nice video on how to do it. Pretty simple. Use filson or otterwax and apply with some heat

I have settled into a standard fill pint size gamechanger mainly as a rear bag and a heavy sand filled OG gamechanger for most everything else. I would recommend a full length arca rail and a plate, makes things a ton more stable. Also being able to move your bipod way back on the forend is helpful for certain situations like when shooting off of a barrel top.

How do you take care of the wax canvas bags? Do you have to reapply the wax coating?
I haven't re-applied wax on mine but it probably needs it. I don't think it's absolutely necessary; a "do it to your personal preference" thing.

I’ve found the Armageddon Schmedium bag to be the best all around bag for PRS. I went through the same thing being a newer shooter and bought a bunch of different bags to try and it turned out I only need the Schmedium for the front and it works in the rear when using the bipod. OG GC is too big, the pint size is too small. I use them at the range tho and have the X-wing and a cylinder squeeze bag for the rear which I use for ELR.

Also new to PRS and was lucky enough to purchase the scmedium bag right out of the gate. Turns out it is all I needed. Don’t have a bunch of unused bags laying aroun.

Pint sized game changer by Armageddon
Or the tatertot by wiebad which I’ve been using more and more frequently. Both in heavy fill for max stability.
I made this link awhile back to hopefully give some side by side examples.

Last edited:
What do you use it for ? I bought one but my wc sche GC seems to do everything better than the Tu
Off the top of my head, barrels, tank traps, tires. I'll use it for field matches, where I need to shoot off the top of a log or boulder or where I have to shoot off a ruck. Remember too I've been using them both for years, well before the other bags were introduced

Reactions: deersniper